[Comparison] ATH-CK10 vs UE TF10 (Lots of pics...56k Warning!)
Jan 27, 2010 at 2:11 AM Post #77 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by iponderous /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^ Would you be prepared to compare the CK10 to the TF10 based on your memory of it prior to re-shelling?

I haven't heard both in a while but I think these two phones are more similar than they are dissimilar. Off memory I think a few of the superficial differences between between them are that the CK10 may have the overall slightly better clarity and transparency. TF10 larger expanse in soundstage. TF10 having a tad sharper and sparklier treble with the CK10 having a slightly smoother presentation. The two major differences I found between these two phones was in the bass and midrange. TF10 has more bass presence and slightly more midbass and seems to extend a bit deeper while the CK10 had a more open sounding neutral and slightly clearer midrange. When I first heard the CK10 I thought it was dry and boring sounding as it doesn't exhibit a lot of the euphonic coloration found in most IEMs. In that regard I found them to be the most neutral and transparent sounding IEMs that I've heard. Given time the sound was just as enjoyable as my other IEMs. I think the review for this thread is very much spot on.

Jan 27, 2010 at 2:37 AM Post #78 of 100
Quote:

^ Would you be prepared to compare the CK10 to the TF10 based on your memory of it prior to re-shelling?

Quick comparison:

BASS:
TF10 has a lot more bass presence than CK10 but it's not as tight
smily_headphones1.gif

The CK10 has only a little more bass than ER4P.

MIDS:
CK10 much more detailed, clear and smooth. TF10 sound muffled and hollow in comparison.

HIGHS:
Both extend about the same and are wet sparkly sounding.

CK10 is very detailed, clear and balanced. Very similar to ER4P but smoother(wetter) sounding.

TF10 is V shaped making the mids sound hollow.

Jan 27, 2010 at 3:09 AM Post #79 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by dwizard /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Quick comparison:

BASS:
smily_headphones1.gif

How would you compare the tightness of the CK10's bass to the ER4P's?

Jan 27, 2010 at 3:11 AM Post #80 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by AudioDwebe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The only thing I can think is that the shorter Sony buds goes too deep into my ear opening or the angle for me just doesn't work right, causing the sound to be boomy and bass-heavy and almost muting the higher frequencies.

So...

Have you started wondering how the CK100's sound yet?

You do not know how close I was to pulling the trigger on the CK100 this weekend. It was very tempting after reading everyone's impressions of them. Had it in my cart and everything at Seyo and was one step away! The CK100 are the only IEMs left that I really want to hear, but at the same time, I don't even want to hear them. All I can say is, I am very pleased with the CK10 and do not want to spend anymore on portables. One exception though, I decided to buy the ATH-ESW9 instead...
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spankypoo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How would you compare the tightness of the CK10's bass to the ER4P's?

This is by memory since I last heard the ER4P about two months ago, but I find the CK10 to be just as tight as the ER4P.

Jan 27, 2010 at 3:27 AM Post #82 of 100
Thanks tstarn06, HONEYBOY and dwizard. I was thinking about sticking with the universals that I have while keeping one eye on the JH13/JH16 PROs, but you've rekindled my interest in the CK10's again.

Jan 27, 2010 at 3:56 AM Post #83 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by dwizard /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Quick comparison:

BASS:
smily_headphones1.gif

MIDS:
CK10 much more detailed, clear and smooth. TF10 sound muffled and hollow in comparison.
HIGHS:
Both extend about the same and are wet sparkly sounding.
CK10 is very detailed, clear and balanced. Very similar to ER4P but smoother(wetter) sounding.
TF10 is V shaped making the mids sound hollow.

I agree very much with these impressions, and also owning the ER 4P I would say that the CK 10 has punchier bass, and a bit more quantity of bass than the ER 4P.

Jan 27, 2010 at 4:27 AM Post #84 of 100
Quote:

Thanks tstarn06, HONEYBOY and dwizard. I was thinking about sticking with the universals that I have while keeping one eye on the JH13/JH16 PROs, but you've rekindled my interest in the CK10's again.

I don't think I've had a more interest in getting a new IEM than the CK10. I do really find the other two (W2 and Custom Trips) excellent, but I have always liked a tight, clean, clear mid/treble-based IEM (with quality bass, of course). I had two-thirds with the PFE, but in the end, thought it needed an amp. Now, it sounds like the CK10s are exactly that.

However, I was never willing to pay the high prices before, but the $199 tag at newegg changed that (along with selling off all the other phones). Very pumped to hear Carmen McRae, Claire Martin and Leo Kottke (among others) on the CK10s.

Jan 27, 2010 at 6:21 AM Post #85 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by vorlon1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree very much with these impressions, and also owning the ER 4P I would say that the CK 10 has punchier bass, and a bit more quantity of bass than the ER 4P.

Yes I think the CK10 had a bit more bass slam than ER 4P but I thought that the ER 4P had a bit more bass extension. Is that your findings as well?

Jan 27, 2010 at 6:26 AM Post #86 of 100
Honestly, I'd have to do a re-listen and focus on that aspect, I couldn't say right at the moment, as any differences in extension never struck me in any noticeable way.

Jan 27, 2010 at 6:44 AM Post #87 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by HONEYBOY /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes I think the CK10 had a bit more bass slam than ER 4P but I thought that the ER 4P had a bit more bass extension. Is that your findings as well?

Did the CK10's impress you enough to want to own a pair?

Jan 27, 2010 at 7:47 AM Post #88 of 100
hmmm not quite haha! I generally tend to prefer a more laidback and subtly detailed sound. My initial impression of the CK10 was that they were too dry/boring for my tastes. In the final stages of that two weeks audition however, I began to like them an grew a greater appreciation for its transparency clarity and neutrality. I also think that it may be one of the more natural sounding armature drivers. There are very few things to fault with the CK10 as I also found them to be fairly balanced with a slight anti-clockwise tilt of the sound frequency spectrum but never being harsh. I also thought that there were times when it could be a bit "thin" sounding and lacking body. In short I thought that it possessed some of the great audiophile virtues that some folks seek but I seem to get a more overall enjoyment factor from other phones.

Jan 27, 2010 at 7:57 AM Post #89 of 100
^ Compared to the TF10, which would you say had the most relaxed or laidback presentation? Your reference to them as sounding "thin" and "lacking body" at times, echoes a review that I read outside of Head-Fi.

Jan 27, 2010 at 5:24 PM Post #90 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't think I've had a more interest in getting a new IEM than the CK10. I do really find the other two (W2 and Custom Trips) excellent, but I have always liked a tight, clean, clear mid/treble-based IEM (with quality bass, of course). I had two-thirds with the PFE, but in the end, thought it needed an amp. Now, it sounds like the CK10s are exactly that.

However, I was never willing to pay the high prices before, but the $199 tag at newegg changed that (along with selling off all the other phones). Very pumped to hear Carmen McRae, Claire Martin and Leo Kottke (among others) on the CK10s.

I certainly don't think you'll be disappointed. For me, they took a bit getting the proper fit, but once they did, WOW! I've been quite impressed with a few cans that I own, but don't think I've ever been as impressed with any of them. The sound quality straight out of a Classic, with my musical tastes (mainly Jazz), is truly mesmorizing. IMO, they do require a bit more volume (about 1/2 to 3/5 of way up) on the Classic to truly bloom and come to life.

You're definitely in for a treat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back