[Comparison] ATH-CK10 vs UE TF10 (Lots of pics...56k Warning!)
Jan 27, 2010 at 5:55 PM Post #91 of 100
Neither sound laid back to me. IE8 and SE530 are laid back.
I would call CK10 lively.

CK10 and ER4P bass extend about the same both are fast, tight and accurate. ER4P bass is flatter whereas the CK10 is bouncier.

ER4P is sometimes "thin" and grainy sounding but I find CK10 isn't because it's smoother. I can't listen to Rock music with ER4P but it sounds great with CK10.

If you like ER4P you'll love CK10. CK10 cable is excellent, non-microphonic and very soft, flexible compared to ER4P. CK10 has much less isolation I'm thinking of getting some Comply T200 for them.

If I had to keep only one IEM it would be CK10.

TF10 and W3 were my favourite IEMs untill I got ER4P and CK10, which suggests I prefer a more balanced and detailed sound.

Here is my preference:
CK10 > ER4P/S > W3 = TF10 = IE8 > SE530

Jan 27, 2010 at 7:28 PM Post #92 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by iponderous /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^ Compared to the TF10, which would you say had the most relaxed or laidback presentation? Your reference to them as sounding "thin" and "lacking body" at times, echoes a review that I read outside of Head-Fi.

IIRC I'd say the CK10 has a tad more relaxed presentation. However, I won't consider both that relaxed in absolute terms. The CK10 has the more noticeably delicate/smoother/grain free treble emphasis.

I think sometimes a good low frequency presence can give the perception of a fuller sound with instruments taking on a bit more body. I found that in direct comparison with the TF10 and CK10. Despite, the TF10 being a tad bit more recessed in the midrange it generally had an overall fuller sound which I think is the effect of having a bit more bass presence than the leaner sounding CK10. I didn't find the TF10s midrange to be muffled in comparison to the CK10 like some here but the CK10 exhibits a bit more openness, clarity and separation in that area. Someone with a more lengthy experience with these phones may have a more enlightened opinion of their differences but I came away with the notion that they were more similar than dissimilar and that if one fancies a more relatively balanced, neutral, transparent and detailed sound that both phones were great choices with the slight nod to the CK10. I personally slightly "preferred the TF10 for its more "toe tapping" "head bopping" factor.

Jan 27, 2010 at 9:10 PM Post #93 of 100
ck10 is so nice at J-pop, but I would never use it for classical.

Jan 27, 2010 at 9:30 PM Post #94 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by AudioDwebe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I certainly don't think you'll be disappointed. For me, they took a bit getting the proper fit, but once they did, WOW! I've been quite impressed with a few cans that I own, but don't think I've ever been as impressed with any of them. The sound quality straight out of a Classic, with my musical tastes (mainly Jazz), is truly mesmorizing. IMO, they do require a bit more volume (about 1/2 to 3/5 of way up) on the Classic to truly bloom and come to life.

You're definitely in for a treat.

Saw your review post, and wow is all I can say. That was one of the most convincing pieces of writing I have seen here. But believe me, I know all about setting expectations, though I somehow doubt I will be disappointed.

I wonder if honeyboy got the same fit you seem to have achieved with the CK10s, since he said they sounded thin and boring on occasion. Sounds like your initial experience, until you made the fit adjustment.

Jan 27, 2010 at 9:51 PM Post #95 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Saw your review post, and wow is all I can say. That was one of the most convincing pieces of writing I have seen here. But believe me, I know all about setting expectations, though I somehow doubt I will be disappointed.

I wonder if honeyboy got the same fit you seem to have achieved with the CK10s, since he said they sounded thin and boring on occasion. Sounds like your initial experience, until you made the fit adjustment.

I fully agree with you about expectations. It's better to have none so you can (hopefully) be pleasantly surprised. I think the fit is really a key here, and maybe more so than other IEMs. If the sound is thin, just a simple nudge deeper can bring out a transformation.

Here's to hoping you enjoy these when you get them.
beerchug.gif

Feb 1, 2010 at 2:10 PM Post #97 of 100
If they don't sound great, you aren't. I had a devil of a time with stock tips, but mp3 suggested I try a pair of modded Shure tri-flanges (stalks trimmed to the bottom of the large flange) and the CK10s were spectacular.

I also managed, with the small tips, to get the great sound, but they hurt. So the Shure flanfges are my solution, I have seen some others on the CK10 threads.

Feb 1, 2010 at 5:48 PM Post #98 of 100
Yeah, the smallest tips give me the only chance of getting them deep..I just don't know what angle to put them in is even correct..I took a pretty big jump to my first pair of real IEMs lol. They do sound good when I get them deep, but it hurts and they slowly get less deep
They do sound great..I might have had my expectations unrealistically high lol

Feb 1, 2010 at 7:05 PM Post #99 of 100
Since you bought a $200 pair of phones, then spend the $14 and get the Shure EA306 tips on Amazon.

Amazon.com: Shure EA306 Triple Flange Sleeves for E3c, E3g, E4c, E4g, E5c, I3, I4c, E3c-n and E4c-n models: Electronics

I had problems over the ear with every tip I tried. But not these. Also, you need to follow vorlon1's advice, which he posted on the CK10 thread.

To wit:
"On the over the ear issues, as you insert them push the body of the CK 10 forward while also exerting pressure inward and you should find that the IEM slides quite deeply into your ear canal. You will have the sense that they are sliding backward and inward into your ears. I have tried a number of tips, and for sure if the seal is good you will get a very full sound with good bass and a smooth, not sibilant treble. When I have tried tips that didn't give me the best seal I got all the effects people have described, from thinness of sound to accentuated, almost hyper detail. These turned out to be fit and seal issues." Excellent advice on getting them in the ear.

You mean your expectations were too high SQ-wise, fit/comfort-wise or something else?

If this is your first pair of quality IEMs and they are not wowing you, you are not getting them in right. read the CK10 thread, where I posted several times about difficulty getting them to fit. Once I did, wow.

Again, they are not simple "pop em in and play" IEMs, although they quickly became that for me with the Shure sleeves.

Also, what's your source? No mention. Don't give up, because they are, to me, the best IEMs I have heard, and I have owned more than three dozen, including the Atrios, IE8, W3, UM3X and others.

Don't give up. Also, wetting the tips a little helps them glide in easier. But even so, I was not happy until I tried the flanges.

Update:

Just as a check, I listened to some tracks on my Zune80 and Clip + (no EQ used) and when the bass is in the track, it's in the ear too. The CK10 are not bass lite or thin, with a proper seal. They are full-bodied, robust IEMs that deliver the music as the mix intended it (at least on the Zune and Clip+). I do up the bass a little on the Sony X just out of personal preference, and the Clear Bass does not distort or overdo the added bass.

Feb 2, 2010 at 8:12 AM Post #100 of 100
I had only tried them with my ipod touch until right now, where I've got them going through all my computer sound stuff playing flacs. I tried pushing forward and I can get them deep but they seem to slide out a slight bit after I get them in what I believe to be "properly."

Those tips get deep enough? They look quite large. I'll go ahead an order them soon though.

Overall though I'm not saying they sound bad..they're GREAT. I think I'm just worrying too much as they're my first real pair of iems. I don't really have anything to compare with and am not used to fitting iems deep in my canal like this so I feel like I'm doing something wrong.

I'll try any tips though, I don't mind spending a few more bucks to make them perfect

edit: I got them extremely deep with the small tips by wetting it them slightly. Little painful..think its from the body though, nothing near the tip

Users who are viewing this thread

Back