Dec 15, 2009 at 7:48 AM Post #31 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
bah I like even the old px100 and the koss portapro more than the shure 840
biggrin.gif

indeed
beerchug.gif

Dec 18, 2009 at 1:35 AM Post #32 of 37
Hey everyone-- I did a major edit to the original post as I have re-evaluated the HD238. The distortion I was hearing was a product of 1) poorly mastered/produced music that I had been evaluating the headphones with, and 2), inadequate amping via the iPod alone on the HD238. The HD238 needs a high-current headphone amp to shine. After considering this, and also that I prefer the higher degree of detail and fuller bass on the HD238 over the HD448, I have to say that the HD238 is my favorite of the bunch, provided that I get a nice amp and have them recabled as my stock cable has electrical tape on it currently. (Not to mention replace the earpads, as they have worn out due to my constant inspection of the drivers due to my trying to find out what was going on with the bass). For those not wanting a ton of bass and wanting less hyper detail in the highs and mids, the HD448 still remains a nice option however.

--Eric

Dec 19, 2009 at 2:57 PM Post #33 of 37
Just come back from a local store with my new px-200-II, I must say I totally agree with your review. Just about 45 min. of listening while on the tube coming back to home (Dragonforce "Inhuman Rampage" out of Sony A816) and now out of my Aureon while typing (with Nile "Those Whom The Gods Detest"). Some impressions "out of the box":

I like:
- Tight, focused bass, not boomy at all
- Good separation and clarity
- Extended but not piercing highs, smooth mids
- They don't sound so closed
- Very good built
- Perfectly comfortable
- Relatively easy to drive (much more than HD238/218)

I dont' like so much:
- Annoying volume control
- The headband protrudes too much at ear level, the result is some sort of an alien look....
beyersmile.png

4196829701_404f666c77_o.jpg

Waiting for some burn in, I must say I'm really satisfied with them, thanks for the review and for leading me the right way.

Cheers
K

Dec 20, 2009 at 4:52 AM Post #34 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by kurtzi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just come back from a local store with my new px-200-II, I must say I totally agree with your review. Just about 45 min. of listening while on the tube coming back to home (Dragonforce "Inhuman Rampage" out of Sony A816) and now out of my Aureon while typing (with Nile "Those Whom The Gods Detest"). Some impressions "out of the box":

I like:
- Tight, focused bass, not boomy at all
- Good separation and clarity
- Extended but not piercing highs, smooth mids
- They don't sound so closed
- Very good built
- Perfectly comfortable
- Relatively easy to drive (much more than HD238/218)

I dont' like so much:
- Annoying volume control
- The headband protrudes too much at ear level, the result is some sort of an alien look....
beyersmile.png

4196829701_404f666c77_o.jpg

Waiting for some burn in, I must say I'm really satisfied with them, thanks for the review and for leading me the right way.

Cheers
K

I'm glad you're liking the PX200-II's. I'm finding that I wish there was a headphone that would combine the bass quality of the HD595 and PX200-II with the tonal balance of the HD238, with the pristine mids of the HD448 and highs balance of the HD238. I'm hoping for a new sennheiser midrange headphone at CES 2010 as their new inexpensive lineup shows that they have the engineering prowess to come up with a headphone like that, but I'm not holding my breath too long. EDIT: (The K601 comes to mind as a headphone like that, but the shoddy wiring setup in the K601 really holds it back in terms of ultimate clarity in the midrange, and I have no interest in investing in a $300 wiring upgrade for a headphone that will be used in a portable system.)

--Eric

Oct 13, 2010 at 10:10 AM Post #36 of 37
well I was thinking on getting the 448 for daily work use (I work in front of a pc 8hrs) with my ipod but now im thinking on the 238 I suppose they are more confortable for a lot of daily use, later if I think the ipod is not enough im gonna get some amp.

gracias violeta for the very detailed information.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back