Comfortable Audio Technica ATH-M50 alternatives?
Aug 12, 2011 at 4:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

iAmaN00b

New Head-Fier
Hello Head-Fi members,

I was planning on purchasing the Audio Technica ATH-M50, but ended up cancelling my order after I read some reviews and found out that it's not really comfortable for long use. Can anyone make some suggestions on some good comfortable alternatives to Audio Technica ATH-M50? Maximum budget I can do is up to $200. I don't want to spend too much because I only use headphones for watching movies on my laptop and listening to music.

Aug 12, 2011 at 4:54 AM Post #2 of 11

Quote:
Hello Head-Fi members,

I was planning on purchasing the Audio Technica ATH-M50, but ended up cancelling my order after I read some reviews and found out that it's not really comfortable for long use. Can anyone make some suggestions on some good comfortable alternatives to Audio Technica ATH-M50? Maximum budget I can do is up to $200. I don't want to spend too much because I only use headphones for watching movies on my laptop and listening to music.

Heya,

Comfort is relative.

I don't like the comfort of the M50's either, and their sound is just not special either to me. So, what can I say other than I think you did well to cancel and seek out different headphones.

What are you looking for in a headphone? What kind of music? Do you need closed? Or is open ok? What sort of sound do you favor? Bass heavy? Bass neutral? Bright/froward mids/highs? Want something laid back?

Tip of my tongue, with a $200 budget, I'm thinking.... HD598 or DT880.

Very best,

Aug 12, 2011 at 5:14 AM Post #3 of 11

Quote:

Heya,

Comfort is relative.

I don't like the comfort of the M50's either, and their sound is just not special either to me. So, what can I say other than I think you did well to cancel and seek out different headphones.

What are you looking for in a headphone? What kind of music? Do you need closed? Or is open ok? What sort of sound do you favor? Bass heavy? Bass neutral? Bright/froward mids/highs? Want something laid back?

Tip of my tongue, with a $200 budget, I'm thinking.... HD598 or DT880.

Very best,

Hi MalVeauX,

Thanks for the suggestions. I think I'd want a closed headphone. I mainly watch movies and don't really listen to music much. Both the HD598 and DT880 aren't the headphones I'd want since they leak noise.

Aug 12, 2011 at 6:02 AM Post #7 of 11
Heya,

DT770 Pro 80 is a beasty headphone, has a tight grip, but comfortable. The bass is very forward, very pronounced, it's a basshead can. It's also got forward highs. Mids are a bit recessed. You can usually find them for $120 used or so. There's some in the for sale forums right now. Recently an ebay deal for $90, which was ridiculously cheap for what they are. They do benefit amplification, as they're 80 ohms, to get the most out of them but they do work without an amp. They've got great isolation (-18dB or so) and they've got a good sound stage for a closed headphone. It's a more aggressive bassy headphone by far than the HD380. It probably clamps more, but it's got velour pads instead of pleather pads. If you want a more neutral sound, the HD380 is likely that for you by comparison. I like bowel shaking bass though, so the DT770 is more up my alley. Not everyone's cup of tea.

Very best,

Aug 12, 2011 at 7:51 AM Post #8 of 11
If you can spend up to $200 Id say go with the DT250-80 which is a far more neutral can than the DT770 with better midrange.  Its not a basshead can though it is still more than enough. Clamps a bit at first like almost all closed phones but it loosens up a lot with use and has very comfortable padding.

Aug 12, 2011 at 8:17 AM Post #9 of 11
Denon D2000 is pretty much an upgraded M50.  It has the same general u-shaped frequency curve as the M50, but better overall dynamics, sound staging as well as a way superior fit and comfort.  It actually doesn't get too hot being a closed headphone with pleather pads, because it doesn't clamp too hard.  However it's not as portable.  You can find some used-like new for 190-210usd at times.

Beyerdynamic DT770 is another option.  It's even more u-shaped than the Denons or M50s, and more portable.  The comfort you could argue as just as good as the Denons or even better, Denons are pretty comfortable though.

Aug 13, 2011 at 1:21 PM Post #10 of 11
I just exchanged my Dt770-80's for the Hd380 Pro's.  For the most part because I wanted something with a little less impedance to get more volume out of them with an iPod/E7 setup.  I agree with Malveaux, the 770's are for bassheads and I also found that the highs can sometimes be too bright? sibilant?, not sure the word I should use to describe it.  I have the HD380's now with a FiiO E7 and I usually only listen with the volume at 45/60 unless I really want to jam.  The 380's are more balanced and I like them better.  Hope this helps.....let us know what you decide!

Aug 13, 2011 at 2:21 PM Post #11 of 11
I don't find my m50s overly uncomfortable when i watch movies. In fact i don't notice them. They probably aren't the best sounding headphone for $150 though but one advantage is they are portable to some extent

Users who are viewing this thread

Back