College/Med School
Jun 16, 2008 at 5:50 AM Post #16 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by arnoldsoccer4 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So headfi I have been gone for a while but come seeking advice. I am going into next year a senior in high school. I have had straight a's in honors and ap courses, and am pretty high up in class rank (top 5% don't know specifics). I got a 32 on my act. From what I have been told I can go pretty much wherever I want. (Can anyone verify this?) I am looking to become an Emergency Room doctor or anesthesiologist (if you have any other recommendations, please say so). I am currently in Illinois and am looking for colleges. I am looking to go somewhere warm hopefully. I lived in San Diego for 2 years and loved it, and apparently UCLA and UCSD have great medical programs. So the question really is where should I go and how should I do things. Should I go to a college around UCLA for premed, and then go into UCLA at in-state tuition? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Grades = very nice, biggest component of app. Your ACT score leaves something to be desired, if you truly want to have your choice of any school. If you are trying to apply to undergrad in California, then your scores need to be superior to the instate stats. Yes, UCLA and UCSD have great med programs, but you are soooooo far from that right now. Many people want to go to med school, but they pick the wrong undergrad school, and the wrong major. First, for med school, you need VERY good grades. You could go to a top school, pick the easiest major, and take the requisite premed courses. You'll need math, chem, o-chem, physics, bio. Yes, that is a large number of classes. But if you think you are med school material, then you can handle those classes in addition to, say, a communications degree. Anything to keep the GPA comfortably above 3.5, I'd say. Now, if you go to an "easier" school, then perhaps you could try a typical premed major, like MCB. If you roll through all the AP classes with general ease, and can score high on the SAT, then perhaps you could pick a tough major at a top school. But on the road to med school, you need to maximize the A's, and minimize everything else, yet nail down all the MCAT stuff. I have seen some awfully smart, hardworking students have their med school dreams get crushed after the first chem midterm...
frown.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Jun 16, 2008 at 5:54 AM Post #17 of 68
hell...i dropped the idea of going to med school after my organic chem 1 class. i got an a in the class but i know that i had to work more for that a than all of my other classes in the past 4 years combined. i hated the material so much that it just made it that much harder for me to learn it well enough to get an a in the class. which is why i said, dont pick a major for the money. pick it because you love it.

Jun 16, 2008 at 6:07 AM Post #19 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You don't want to go to UCLA. Trust me.

Fight on!

i resemble that remark...

Jun 16, 2008 at 6:16 AM Post #21 of 68
Quote:

20178826.JPG

Fight on!

Psh... neither! Berkeley dominates both and you know it!

Jun 16, 2008 at 6:31 AM Post #22 of 68
Quote:

20178826.JPG

Fight on!

I beg to differ: GO BRUINS!

Jun 16, 2008 at 6:33 AM Post #23 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by aaron313 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Psh... neither! Berkeley dominates both and you know it!

Nope. Not for medicine: there you have UCLA, UCSD and UCSF, not necesarily in that order (but that is my preference!
biggrin.gif

Jun 16, 2008 at 3:14 PM Post #24 of 68
UCSF is Berkeley's sister school for medicine, as we do not have a med school. UCSF only does grad school. I large percentage of UCSF med students come from Berkeley.

Jun 16, 2008 at 3:14 PM Post #25 of 68
Here's one program:
GPPA

It is at UIC, not the most prestigious school. The program guarantees you a spot in the program you apply for, medicine, dentistry, pt, etc. There are more out there. Northwestern has one, but it is nearly impossible to get into. There are some 6-7 year programs too (you get your bs and md), but that was when I was still in school. I don't know if they still exist. I remember penn state having a 6 year program.

Good luck with applications.

Jun 16, 2008 at 6:42 PM Post #26 of 68
there is another one at univ. of cincinati. you go to xaviers (their sister school) for your bachelors and then to cinci for your med school.

univ. of miami had an extremely prestigious 6 year med program that people from my high school went to over harvard. yes, i can name 3 who were 2 years my senior that got into both harvard and um and ended up going to miami just because of their 6 year med. they shut down the program my year though =/

Jun 16, 2008 at 9:29 PM Post #27 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by aaron313 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
UCSF is Berkeley's sister school for medicine, as we do not have a med school. UCSF only does grad school. I large percentage of UCSF med students come from Berkeley.

Yes, but UCSF does not have Berkeley in its name. Not only that, all but UC campuses are brothers and sisters too. Sorry, just pulling your leg.
tongue.gif

Seriously though, I think all 3 places (UCLA,UCSD and UCSF are tops).
I did postdoctoral training at CHS (UCLA) which has been consistently one of the top hospitals in the US.
On another note, if you want to go into medicine for the money, don't. The money is there, but the work and responsibility is tremendous.
Medicine is a calling, you should go into because you want to help your fellow human beings. I know it sounds cliche but it is the truth.
I have seen physicians who don't have a iota of compassion, yet they are very smart. They are in the wrong profession.
On the other hand, I have seen smart physicians who care for their patients; they are the epitomy of what medicine is all about.
The bad outcome of demanding the best in medicine (smart wise), is that smart people (but uncaring) have been able to get into it.

Jun 16, 2008 at 10:45 PM Post #28 of 68
May I ask why you are interested in anesthesiology? Its actually a coinsidence because I'm doing a project for this doctor at department of anesthesiology myself. I'm studying pharmaceutical science (also mathematics in my spare time) at the moment and I'm analyzing heartrate and blood pressure variables for him. I'm actually very unhappy with what I'm studying and I want to switch to medicine. I've already tried twice to get into med. school here without success. I just have nothing to show for on paper.

Have you ever been in an OR? I have. Anesthesiology looks all about routine to me. Keeping the patient stabalized during surgery. Rarely will you have any problems where you have to make quick decisions. It probally can get boring if you have to do it for the rest of your life. Here they prepare a patient for surgery, monitor the patient vital signs during surgery and take care of the patient after surgery. Its really all about routine.

Jun 16, 2008 at 10:54 PM Post #29 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by arnoldsoccer4 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sucks huh? So just keep the a's and score well?

Not necessarily enough.

These were my stats when I applied (total of 4 times):
School: Texas A&M at College Station
Major: Electrical Engineering BS
Overall GPA: 3.8-3.6
Science GPA: 3.7-3.5
MCAT: 35Q

Picked up a bunch of interviews over the years, but ended up with the same amount of rejections. Those slots on the application for the extracurriculars, leadership positions, and volunteer work? They matter. Same for recommendation letters.

Jun 16, 2008 at 11:04 PM Post #30 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by montell /img/forum/go_quote.gif
May I ask why you are interested in anesthesiology?

Have you ever been in an OR? I have. Anesthesiology looks all about routine tome. Keeping the patient stabalized during surgery. Rarely will you have any problems where you have to make quick decisions. It probally can get boring if you have to do it for the rest of your life. Here they prepare a patient for surgery, monitor the patient vital signs during surgery and take care of the patient after surgery. Its really all about routine.

That's only one aspect of anesthesiology. A lot of their practice is also procedure based (more and more so nowadays). In my opinion it's a very dynamic and interesting field.

Then again I think most fields of medicine and surgery are very interesting if you're able to get a holistic view of them. Which I don't think is possible unless you've rotated in such field as an M3/M4/resident or are a practitioner.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back