College/Med School
Jun 24, 2008 at 5:49 AM Post #61 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by aaron313 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Masters Degree = bang for the buck.

That is really debatable, and definitely depends on the field. In most biological sciences, that's almost certainly not true.

Aug 11, 2008 at 6:48 AM Post #62 of 68
So I put a lot of thought into all of this in the last month. I work as a waiter right now, and while the money is decent, I could make more elsewhere, and I could have better bosses elsewhere, but I haven't quit. Why? I thought, and came to the conclusion that it is because of the people. I love the human connection, meeting random people and helping them out, doing whatever I can. And a career in research I don't think would provide that satisfaction I get from random people. Thoughts?

Also a little update on college. My parents (divorced, I have my sob story in another thread) will pay for the first four years of college, dad paying room and board mom tuition. Recently I went to San Diego for a week alone and stayed with friends and it was the happiest I have been in my life, away from all the crap. My parents can indeed afford to pay for my college, and getting them to do so may be taking advantage of them, but I can be actually happy for the first time in a long time by going to a college outside of their geographical spheres of influence (Illinois and Tennessee). So which schools should I look at for premed with my test scores, if the money is out of the equation (to a degree)?

Sorry if something is incoherent, haven't had much sleep lately.

Aug 11, 2008 at 6:58 AM Post #63 of 68
I can't speak for US med schools, but in Canada most medical schools don't care what classes you take, as long a your grades and MCAT cores are good. Some schools require that you've taken 1st year English, Biology, Chemistry and Physics, as well as 1 humanities and 1 social science course, and some others require you to have taken organic chemistry and biochemistry. So you don't necessarily have to get caught up in taking a "premed" specific set of courses. In fact, I would check into several US medical school college course requirements.

Aug 11, 2008 at 8:40 AM Post #65 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by arnoldsoccer4 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So which schools should I look at for premed with my test scores, if the money is out of the equation (to a degree)?

Sorry if something is incoherent, haven't had much sleep lately.

Hope you're doing better and getting some sleep. In a way this is good training for residency after med school.

If you are not planning to go to medical school, what would you major in? Just pick a college and major based on your interest and passion. This might make your decision easier because medical schools don't really care if you're a premed major or not provided:
  • You take the required premed classes and excel in them
  • You pick something challenging to major in, especially something that develops a gift you have (music, writing, engineering, etc)
  • You do not appear to be picking a major or class because it is easy. They know some classes are hard to get As in, but they expect you'll work hard enough to get an A anyway.
  • Show some sincere interest in the profession of medicine, people and the community. If you're not sincere, at least know how to fake it well.
    wink_face.gif
  • Your talents and interests are not restricted to book learning.
  • You are committed to studying and have good study habits. As you progress through your medical training, you'll have less and less personal time to study and prepare for exams. You can and should party in college, just don't post those pictures on your Facebook or MySpace page.

As an Illinois resident, you can apply for the 7-year program at UIC, but can still opt out at some point and apply to a different medical school.

Or go somewhere warm and fun, choose a major you enjoy and go for it. You have 3 years in college to prepare for your med school application. It might seem like half the people in your freshman class are premed majors, but stick with it and the crowd will thin out at the end.

As you go through college, your idea of what you want to do when you grow up will evolve, so locking yourself into any particular profession is risky.

Aug 11, 2008 at 9:45 AM Post #66 of 68
Time to hunt for a fun major then. Would majoring in a language perhaps be a good idea? (If I could find an interesting one.) I have this problem, stick me in any high school class right now and I will get an a, but I have a passion for nothing.

Usagi I am open to any recommendations right now. Is it a good school?

Aug 11, 2008 at 10:35 AM Post #68 of 68
OP, check out this forum: Student Doctor Network Forums
It has a lot of good dialog regarding various aspects of being a premed and getting into medical school.
As far as undergrad, go to a school that you really like. If you like the school, it will be easier to do well academically. If you hate the school/area, things will be much harder for you. And stay away from gunner premeds! Make sure you have a variety of experiences and that you come across to the adcoms as a well-rounded person.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back