Originally Posted by marvin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not necessarily enough.

These were my stats when I applied (total of 4 times):
School: Texas A&M at College Station
Major: Electrical Engineering BS
Overall GPA: 3.8-3.6
Science GPA: 3.7-3.5
MCAT: 35Q

Picked up a bunch of interviews over the years, but ended up with the same amount of rejections. Those slots on the application for the extracurriculars, leadership positions, and volunteer work? They matter. Same for recommendation letters.

Dude, did you have, like, no recommendations or ECs?
wink.gif
I also don't get what 3.8-3.6 means.

Jun 17, 2008 at 12:50 AM Post #33 of 68
Quote:

Not necessarily enough.

These were my stats when I applied (total of 4 times):
School: Texas A&M at College Station
Major: Electrical Engineering BS
Overall GPA: 3.8-3.6
Science GPA: 3.7-3.5
MCAT: 35Q

Picked up a bunch of interviews over the years, but ended up with the same amount of rejections. Those slots on the application for the extracurriculars, leadership positions, and volunteer work? They matter. Same for recommendation letters.

I also didn't get in, but I only applied once. I had a 36 on the MCAT (11,12,13) a 3.65 in Biomedical Engineering at a Top 20 university (Johns Hopkins) - and interviews at seven schools, including 4 out of the 5 UC schools (UCSF, UCLA, UCSD, and UCD). Only Irvine didn't give me an interview - go figure! Anyway, this was back in '96. It was very competitive back then, more so than now I believe. It worked out for me in the end, as I got a PhD, and am now a Professor doing research. My only advice to the OP is this: You have a lot of time. Whatever career path you choose, make sure it is for the right reasons. And make sure your choices are your own.

Jun 17, 2008 at 1:50 AM Post #34 of 68
As perhaps an exercise in futility, maybe we should branch out. What other opportunities are in medicine? Surgery is out, don't have the hands for it.

To all wondering about money, yes I know what you mean, do something you will love. I do want to help and I am in it for the right reasons, however I am not going to sit back and just deny money isn't a factor. Also I really haven't found any other calling. People always come running to me with their problems and I help them as best I can, and if I could do that as a job it would be fantastic. If you have any other life recommendations please share, I have an open mind in general.

Also I will look in to multi-year programs, thanks for the tip everyone.

Jun 17, 2008 at 1:59 AM Post #35 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by arnoldsoccer4 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As perhaps an exercise in futility, maybe we should branch out. What other opportunities are in medicine? Surgery is out, don't have the hands for it.

To all wondering about money, yes I know what you mean, do something you will love. I do want to help and I am in it for the right reasons, however I am not going to sit back and just deny money isn't a factor. Also I really haven't found any other calling. People always come running to me with their problems and I help them as best I can, and if I could do that as a job it would be fantastic. If you have any other life recommendations please share, I have an open mind in general.

Also I will look in to multi-year programs, thanks for the tip everyone.

Well, given that you're posting on this forum, I assume you may have some interest in audio or electronics...engineering...see my point? What do you actually enjoy doing? Figure that out, and you'll be fine. Like I said, you have time.

Jun 17, 2008 at 2:39 AM Post #36 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by ezkcdude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, given that you're posting on this forum, I assume you may have some interest in audio or electronics...engineering...see my point? What do you actually enjoy doing? Figure that out, and you'll be fine. Like I said, you have time.

Haha we did circuits and resistors sound waves decibles etc in physics this year and quite frankly it bored me to tears. I am a good math kid though, I guess I have just never really seen anything other than doctor that motivated me.

Jun 17, 2008 at 2:51 AM Post #37 of 68
Quote:

Haha we did circuits and resistors sound waves decibles etc in physics this year and quite frankly it bored me to tears. I am a good math kid though, I guess I have just never really seen anything other than doctor that motivated me.

Here's a question for you. Would you rather a) work on finding a cure for cancer or b) diagnose and treat a patient with cancer? Your answer to this question should tell you a lot about what you really want to do. (And you cannot answer "both"!)

Jun 17, 2008 at 6:11 AM Post #38 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by ezkcdude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here's a question for you. Would you rather a) work on finding a cure for cancer or b) diagnose and treat a patient with cancer? Your answer to this question should tell you a lot about what you really want to do. (And you cannot answer "both"!)

Find the cure, I would rather work in the theoretical.

Jun 17, 2008 at 10:59 AM Post #39 of 68
Quote:

Find the cure, I would rather work in the theoretical.

Interesting. I wasn't expecting that answer, actually. Well, in that case, I would suggest you seriously consider not going to medical school, and instead, concentrate on pursuing a career in research (i.e. graduate school). Not only will you save a ton of money in the long run (grad schools actually pay you), but if you really want to do basic research - as opposed to clinical - there is essentially no reason to get an MD. That wasn't always the case. Science has really changed in the last couple of decades. Of course, don't take my word for it. My advice would be to get in the lab as early as you can in your college career. By the time you graduate, you may have a paper or two under your belt, and a much better idea of where to go. Also, being in the lab will introduce you to other grad students, postdocs, and faculty that you might not otherwise interact with in college. Almost every undergrad I've ever seen go through a lab is better off for it. It's a very helpful experience.

Jun 17, 2008 at 3:40 PM Post #40 of 68
A Couple thoughts to the OP:

I am a senior (just graduated senior) from a private with similar GPA/strong SATs and found myself and all of my friends being turned down from many schools that fit our academic range. This is a very hard time to apply to school (technically the hardest) and doing it over again, I would have spend alot more time on the objective areas ('out-of-the-box' essays and letters to admissions offices).

Also, I am interested in medicine (I spend my senior project in an ER) but wound up at a small liberal arts college. My advice is keep your options open. I am 90% sure that I want to end up in Med School, but taking two years of biology in high school didn't tell me much about being a doctor. While there are great 8-year programs in medicine (I have friends going to both Union-Albany Med and Brown PLEME) if you decide you want to be a doctor in college, and your a good student, youll end up there. For now, Im excited to explore other areas of interest for at least a year before I make up my mind.

Good luck on you college search

Jun 17, 2008 at 3:52 PM Post #41 of 68
Not to thread jack, but it may not be, it may help the OP:

What do schools these days think about taking a year off between high school and college and doing something productive with that time; extensive traveling, mission trips things like that?

I know they are looking for people with world experience or for people that stand out above the rest. Do you think it would hurt if I took the year off between and went backpacking in Europe for 6 months or so, or took the time to work as an intern for a company located in China?

Just curious about experiences with this, thanks.

Jun 17, 2008 at 4:38 PM Post #42 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by aaron313 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dude, did you have, like, no recommendations or ECs?
wink.gif
I also don't get what 3.8-3.6 means.

Don't go to class and it's hard to get recommendations... I also had a couple of expensive hobbies to finance, so I took higher paying engineering/networking jobs instead of dinking around with the low/no pay application scutwork. Consequently, I got lots of questions on whether or not I was sure that medicine was what I wanted to do during interviews.
redface.gif

3.8-3.6 is the spread in my GPA for the times I applied. My GPA following my sophomore year was 3.8 and went down to 3.6 on graduation. Picking up A's in high level engineering courses is a pain.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ezkcdude
Anyway, this was back in '96. It was very competitive back then, more so than now I believe.

It's back to being really competitive.

The number of applications to medical schools tracks the economy fairly closely with a bit of lag induced due to the time required to finish college/prereqs. The poor economy at the end of Bush I's term produced the bumper crop of applicants for '96, followed by significant decreases each year due to the rising economy during Clinton's terms. Applicant numbers started rising again after the economic boom imploded at the beginning of Bush II's term and the insecure post-9/11 economic situation made 2007 the biggest group of applicants yet.

Smart people make rational decisions, who knew?
biggrin.gif

Jun 17, 2008 at 4:43 PM Post #43 of 68
Quote:

It's back to being really competitive.

I agree with everything you said. I think one of the big differences today from when I applied (even though it's only 12 years ago) is the applicant pool has changed. There's now many more women applying (maybe even above 50%?), and it's now well known that at the end of the road, being a doctor doesn't pay as much as it used to. For those two reasons, I actually think the applicant pool is getting better. More people are choosing the profession for the right reasons (helping people, etc) rather than seeking fame and fortune and unrealistic goals of being "super surgeons". Anyway, that's my take on it. Granted, I don't deal with too many med students, but the ones I do get to know are so unbelievably competitive. It's scary. I definitely wouldn't want to do that all over again.

Jun 17, 2008 at 4:46 PM Post #44 of 68
Quote:

so I took higher paying engineering/networking jobs instead of dinking around with the low/no pay application scutwork. Consequently, I got lots of questions on whether or not I was sure that medicine was what I wanted to do during interviews.
redface.gif

Also in agreement here. This kind of thing hurt me, except it was more that I was doing research. They (interviewers) kept asking me why I wanted to do medicine, if I was so interested in research. You know what? They were actually right, although at the time I was pretty bitter about not getting in. It really worked out for me as I said before. That's why I asked the OP what he really was interested in. It's not just another hoop to jump through - it's a decision that really affects the rest of your life.

I didn't say this before, but I should have. I highly recommend taking a year or even two off after college before applying to medical school. But don't just sit around - go join the Peace Corps or Habitat for Humanity. Do something really worthwhile to help people - not only will medical schools eat that sh** up, but you will really learn whether you have what it takes to dedicate your life to a selfless cause. If you can and want to do that, medical school may certainly be the right career choice. If the thought of going to South America for a year and working with poor people causes you to cringe (as it would for myself)...maybe research is more up your alley. Also it's important to note, that if you do decide to go to grad school and do research, it's generally much easier to get in. There's much less pressure, and if you're good enough, schools will be trying to convince you to accept their offer. (I found that aspect of applying to grad school very gratifying after my experience with med school applications.)

Jun 17, 2008 at 7:05 PM Post #45 of 68
I have always thought about research, but had misconceptions that they didn't accept kids straight out of college to do it, so I didn't even think a career was really possible in it until later. So what does an education for research entail.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back