coffee gadgets...
Mar 11, 2009 at 8:27 AM Post #361 of 668
Quote:

Originally Posted by raymondlin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just bought myself a Iberital MC2 Burr Grinder !
dt880smile.png
beerchug.gif

Nice.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 17, 2009 at 8:56 PM Post #363 of 668
I don't know why I waited so long. I finally ordered a roaster and sample pack of beans from Sweetmaria's. I roast every two or three days and this coffee is so much better than roasted beans I can't believe it. I chose the i-Roast2 and like it so far. My coffee journey this far has led me to a roaster , a burr grinder and a Chemex. Now it is just a manner of learning the roaster and fine tuning. The people in my building appreciate the smell, too.

Apr 14, 2009 at 4:49 PM Post #365 of 668
Quote:

Originally Posted by kugino /img/forum/go_quote.gif
shoot, i just used it yesterday but it's in my office. i've weighed a level scoop in another coffee measure and it's about 9-10 grams on average...this is for whole beans, which is what i think you were asking...right?

Can anyone let me know the volume of coffee you should use for the aeropress? I lost my scoop. I am hoping a double shotglass will be close..

Apr 18, 2009 at 12:17 AM Post #367 of 668
Photos not taken by me, but I use:

10092_310x355.jpg

EmideKM51.jpg

Niether are super fantastic (but for there price they sure are), but they do make one hell of a coffee, and I can't see the point upgrading (unless I was going to a plumbed machine).
evil_smiley.gif

Apr 25, 2009 at 9:34 AM Post #368 of 668
I was looking at different preparation methods and one thing struck me about the Moka pots. Wikipedia states that the seal and filters need replacing every so often. I can understand the rubber seal but the filters are metal.

i) why would they need to be replaced?
ii) are the parts easy to come across and economically viable, or is it one of those may as well buy a whole new gadget situations?

As an afterthought, is the Aeropress really that special? I know you can pay hugely more for coffee makers, but £30 for the Aeropress (a couple of tubes!) vs. £5 for a French Press...
Second thought, what's the idea behind a range of richness for 2,3 cups but not 1,4?

After reading all these posts, I think I need a coffee
normal_smile .gif

Apr 28, 2009 at 8:04 AM Post #369 of 668
Quote:

Originally Posted by anoobis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As an afterthought, is the Aeropress really that special? I know you can pay hugely more for coffee makers, but £30 for the Aeropress (a couple of tubes!) vs. £5 for a French Press...

The Aeropress has the pleasant quality of making a uniform tasting cup of coffee, with taste leaning towards chocolate notes.
However, this is the downside, too.

I would pick the French Press first, assuming you have a coffee hook-up, and go for the novelty toy later.

Apr 28, 2009 at 4:38 PM Post #370 of 668
Thanks for the reply. Excuse my ignorance but what do you mean by coffee hook-up?

Apr 28, 2009 at 4:40 PM Post #371 of 668
The chocolate notes would be entirely from the beans you're choosing, not from the slightly lower temperature, higher pressure extraction of the aeropress.

Apr 28, 2009 at 4:49 PM Post #372 of 668
Quote:

Originally Posted by WalkGood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here's the machine I use, rancilio silva, using a modded portafilter (larger basket), the rest is stock.

100_4035.jpg

I'm trying to persuade SWMBO to let me buy a Silvia when we get our tax refund. I got her started on lattes from *$ while we were on vacation earlier this month.
evil_smiley.gif
I love espresso, but I refuse to pay $3-$4 for a couple ounces of coffee, and I'm not that big a *$ fan to start with, anyway.

Apr 28, 2009 at 5:15 PM Post #373 of 668
Quote:

Originally Posted by grawk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The chocolate notes would be entirely from the beans you're choosing, not from the slightly lower temperature, higher pressure extraction of the aeropress.

You would think so, but I have found the chocolate taste to be invariant of the bean type used as have others.

I suspect this is due to the relatively low pressure of the device.

Apr 28, 2009 at 5:16 PM Post #374 of 668
Quote:

Originally Posted by anoobis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the reply. Excuse my ignorance but what do you mean by coffee hook-up?

Just being cheeky, in other words a decent source of coffee beans.

Apr 28, 2009 at 5:18 PM Post #375 of 668
low pressure compared to a french press?

I find the aeropress does a good job of extracting coffee with a lower bitterness than my french press, with otherwise not a lot of difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back