coffee gadgets...
post-3228576
Thread Starter
Post #1 of 656

kugino

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Nov 15, 2003
Messages
5,742
Reaction score
91
Joined
Nov 15, 2003
Posts
5,742
Likes
91
i received a Technivorm KBT-741 coffee brewer from my buddy a few weeks back as a gift and simply love it! With my mazzer mini grinder and home-roasted beans, i'm very happy with the quality of my coffee in the morning (and evening)...any other coffee gadget geeks around here? share your stuff...
 
     Share This Post       
post-3228612
Post #2 of 656

JadeEast

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Feb 12, 2007
Messages
2,151
Reaction score
80
Joined
Feb 12, 2007
Posts
2,151
Likes
80
     Share This Post       
post-3228955
Post #3 of 656

jeremynwolf

Head-Fier
Joined
Aug 24, 2005
Messages
57
Reaction score
10
Joined
Aug 24, 2005
Posts
57
Likes
10
I've tried a number of them, but the hands down winner for me is a the Aeropress:
http://www.aerobie.com/Products/aeropress_story.htm
Despite the oddity of it's being made by a company famous for its orange flying rings, this coffee maker is unbreakable, easy to clean, incredibly fast, and unbeatable (IMHO) in terms of the coffee that comes out. It brews an incredibly strong, concentrated "shot," so what you get is sort of like an americano (you add water after brewing about two ounces of concentrate), but smoother, and not technically espresso.
 
     Share This Post       
post-3230163
Post #5 of 656

Agent Kang

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Oct 10, 2006
Messages
739
Reaction score
12
Joined
Oct 10, 2006
Posts
739
Likes
12
Quote:

Originally Posted by sugarinthegourd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm going to have to try that Aeropress! Never heard of it, but the reviews are great.


x2.

Thanks for the link!
 
     Share This Post       
post-3230449
Post #6 of 656

Daveze

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Jul 23, 2007
Messages
249
Reaction score
11
Joined
Jul 23, 2007
Posts
249
Likes
11
Massive Presso fan here.

I also have a La Pavoni Europiccola (except chrome instead of the oh-so-sexy brass) but it doesn't cop as much usage as I'd like...

On grinding duty is the lowly but dutiful Sunbeam EM0480.

Also on hand are a number of moka pots, french presses and a crappy Breville. I'm quite intrigued by the Aeropress, I've heard some very good opinions of it, its sweetly cheap too. Coffee and bass guitars have been my primary vices in life but headphones and home audio are making strong moves towards similar titles.
 
     Share This Post       
post-3230685
Post #7 of 656

kugino

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Nov 15, 2003
Messages
5,742
Reaction score
91
Joined
Nov 15, 2003
Posts
5,742
Likes
91
Quote:

Originally Posted by Daveze /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Massive Presso fan here.

I also have a La Pavoni Europiccola (except chrome instead of the oh-so-sexy brass) but it doesn't cop as much usage as I'd like...

On grinding duty is the lowly but dutiful Sunbeam EM0480.

Also on hand are a number of moka pots, french presses and a crappy Breville. I'm quite intrigued by the Aeropress, I've heard some very good opinions of it, its sweetly cheap too. Coffee and bass guitars have been my primary vices in life but headphones and home audio are making strong moves towards similar titles.



that's a mighty fine la pavoni you've got there...one of these days i'll get a nice used one. i have a francis francis that my wife wanted to get b/c of how it looks...but alas, it pulls a good shot maybe 1/3 times. part of it is the barista, part of it is the machine...the beans are faultless


just saw the movie of the presso on their website and...well, that crema on the espresso scares me
 
     Share This Post       
post-3230694
Post #8 of 656

kugino

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Nov 15, 2003
Messages
5,742
Reaction score
91
Joined
Nov 15, 2003
Posts
5,742
Likes
91
Quote:

Originally Posted by jeremynwolf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've tried a number of them, but the hands down winner for me is a the Aeropress:
http://www.aerobie.com/Products/aeropress_story.htm
Despite the oddity of it's being made by a company famous for its orange flying rings, this coffee maker is unbreakable, easy to clean, incredibly fast, and unbeatable (IMHO) in terms of the coffee that comes out. It brews an incredibly strong, concentrated "shot," so what you get is sort of like an americano (you add water after brewing about two ounces of concentrate), but smoother, and not technically espresso.



i've never tried it and for $25 it might be a worthwhile purchase, if only to see what the hubbub is about...

but a lot of their methodology goes against the "standards" of properly brewed coffee - temp. of water b/n 195-202 F, extraction time of around 4 minutes, etc. 20 seconds seems way too short...and what you're getting isn't an espresso "shot" by any means...it's concentrated, but certainly not espresso in the true sense. however, it may taste good...i've not tried it yet so can't comment on the taste...just commenting on what i've read so far...
 
     Share This Post       
post-3231130
Post #9 of 656

jeremynwolf

Head-Fier
Joined
Aug 24, 2005
Messages
57
Reaction score
10
Joined
Aug 24, 2005
Posts
57
Likes
10
Yeah, the methodology is unorthodox, and I had my doubts at first as well, but it's cheap, so I figured I might as well try it. What I've found is that it makes an excellent cup of coffee (though I do tend to brew a little hotter than they recommend), but it uses more beans/cup than most makers would. That's fine for me, as I live alone and it's an excellent one cup solution, and still more efficient than brewing too much and throwing some away. While it claims to be able to make up to four cups at a time, I don't really like the brew for more than one, as in order to use enough grounds, it's difficult to fit enough water.

In fact, I have two of them, so that when my girlfriend stays over, we can brew two cups separately. This definitely results in better coffee than brewing two cups at once in one Aeropress.

As far as the short brew time, they claim it's the pressure that allows it to work. I'm neither an engineer nor a true coffee expert, but I've tried most of the ways that are supposed to allow you to brew a small amount of good, strong coffee, and the coffee coming out of the Aeropress tastes good to me.
 
     Share This Post       
post-3231445
Post #10 of 656

kugino

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Nov 15, 2003
Messages
5,742
Reaction score
91
Joined
Nov 15, 2003
Posts
5,742
Likes
91
Quote:

Originally Posted by jeremynwolf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, the methodology is unorthodox, and I had my doubts at first as well, but it's cheap, so I figured I might as well try it. What I've found is that it makes an excellent cup of coffee (though I do tend to brew a little hotter than they recommend), but it uses more beans/cup than most makers would. That's fine for me, as I live alone and it's an excellent one cup solution, and still more efficient than brewing too much and throwing some away. While it claims to be able to make up to four cups at a time, I don't really like the brew for more than one, as in order to use enough grounds, it's difficult to fit enough water.

In fact, I have two of them, so that when my girlfriend stays over, we can brew two cups separately. This definitely results in better coffee than brewing two cups at once in one Aeropress.

As far as the short brew time, they claim it's the pressure that allows it to work. I'm neither an engineer nor a true coffee expert, but I've tried most of the ways that are supposed to allow you to brew a small amount of good, strong coffee, and the coffee coming out of the Aeropress tastes good to me.



i'm going to pick one up tomorrow
 
     Share This Post       
post-3232888
Post #11 of 656

Bob_McBob

1000+ Head-Fier
Joined
Jul 24, 2005
Messages
1,396
Reaction score
13
Joined
Jul 24, 2005
Posts
1,396
Likes
13
Hottop Roaster - Fresh roasted coffee beans, need I say more?
Yama Vacuum Brewer - Makes a ridiculously clean-tasting cup that is very different from French press coffee. Plus, it's damn fun watching the water go up and coffee go down.
Bialetti Brikka - The only moka pot that brews with enough pressure to produce crema. See photo and video. The 2 cup version is the one to get.

I also have a Solis Maestro grinder as well as various French presses. Nothing special there.
 
     Share This Post       
post-3233111
Post #12 of 656

Daveze

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Jul 23, 2007
Messages
249
Reaction score
11
Joined
Jul 23, 2007
Posts
249
Likes
11
Quote:

Originally Posted by kugino /img/forum/go_quote.gif
that's a mighty fine la pavoni you've got there...one of these days i'll get a nice used one. i have a francis francis that my wife wanted to get b/c of how it looks...but alas, it pulls a good shot maybe 1/3 times. part of it is the barista, part of it is the machine...the beans are faultless


just saw the movie of the presso on their website and...well, that crema on the espresso scares me



Thanks, the La Pavoni's look the part, they're just a fiddly sod to get used to.

Same applies to the Presso, that video is a pretty bad example of how to pull a shot. This one is a much better [and more amusing] example.

Bob, which control version do you have? I've been pretty tempted by the home roasting process, I just have difficulty with the prospect of dedicating hours from the already scarce Saturdays towards something I can conveniently order from the internet.
 
     Share This Post       
post-3233694
Post #13 of 656

Bob_McBob

1000+ Head-Fier
Joined
Jul 24, 2005
Messages
1,396
Reaction score
13
Joined
Jul 24, 2005
Posts
1,396
Likes
13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Daveze /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Bob, which control version do you have? I've been pretty tempted by the home roasting process, I just have difficulty with the prospect of dedicating hours from the already scarce Saturdays towards something I can conveniently order from the internet.


I have the analog model. The "digital" one is not really worth the extra money. The new programmable one is a very nice option if you're interested in the finer points of roasting, like adjusting roast profiles and such, but it is pretty expensive.

With the analog one, I pre-heat it, toss in a measure of beans, keep an eye on it for 15 minutes to make sure it doesn't catch fire, and eject the beans when they're at my preferred roast level. You can do 250-300g at once, depending on the coffee. I roast a couple of batches per week, and each batch is maybe 10 minutes of work if you do something else while keeping an eye on the roaster.

Green coffee is so much cheaper than roasted that you can drink practically anything you want and still end up paying less than for pre-roasted (especially from a nice place).
 
     Share This Post       
post-3234137
Post #14 of 656

diogenes

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Jul 12, 2004
Messages
342
Reaction score
10
Joined
Jul 12, 2004
Posts
342
Likes
10
Quote:

Originally Posted by jeremynwolf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've tried a number of them, but the hands down winner for me is a the Aeropress:
http://www.aerobie.com/Products/aeropress_story.htm



I have been playing with one of these for a little less than a week.
It can make a nice “Americano” type drink.
Just finished a cup based on Yemen Mocca Sanani (from Doubleshot Coffee), that really brought out the smooth characteristics of the this origin.
Novel toy, but not likely to stop someone from going to an (prosumer) espresso machine.

For what it is worth here is a good deal on a grinder, that is espresso capable:

http://sovranastore.com/esgrin.html
 
     Share This Post       
post-3234216
Post #15 of 656

c0mfortably_numb

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Nov 8, 2005
Messages
1,553
Reaction score
11
Joined
Nov 8, 2005
Posts
1,553
Likes
11
Back when I could drink coffee, I used a Yama Vacuum Brewer, with fresh roasted beans from either a local micro roaster, or online source.

For Espresso I used a Saeco Via Veneto espresso machine, it has the same Ulka pump as the much more expensive Rancilio Sylvia I have the older model with out the stupid pressurized portafilter and frother attachment.

Also enjoyable is Turkish coffee with cardamom, to brew it you'll need an Ibrik pot, and a grinder that grind really fine. Natasha's cafe sells a good Turkish blend.
 
     Share This Post       

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Top