coffee gadgets...
Aug 11, 2009 at 8:25 AM Post #391 of 668
Has anyone tried a Nespresso machine? A little gimmiky, but with 19 bar pressure, they do make a perfect cup of espresso and create much less mess than a standard espresso machine.

(Nespresso machines are the ones where you put the sealed capsules in rather than your own measure of coffee - arguably ensuring the coffee is always fresh)

The capsules cost around 23-26p each in the UK, yet its good value if you're not a mad coffee drinker and always want that perfect cup.

Aug 31, 2009 at 1:19 PM Post #393 of 668
Quote:

Originally Posted by audioaffair /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Has anyone tried a Nespresso machine? A little gimmiky, but with 19 bar pressure, they do make a perfect cup of espresso and create much less mess than a standard espresso machine.

(Nespresso machines are the ones where you put the sealed capsules in rather than your own measure of coffee - arguably ensuring the coffee is always fresh)

The capsules cost around 23-26p each in the UK, yet its good value if you're not a mad coffee drinker and always want that perfect cup.

Not only is 19 bars a bit on the high side, there is nothing about sealed pods or capsules that guarantees freshness. Having said that, Nespresso machines are not all bad. If one checks them on Coffee Geek or Home Barista, you will see some positive commentary. They are easy, but expensive to keep [think razors and razor blades]. I have considered putting one in my office, if my Illy ever dies, where convenience and cleanup are paramount. I would not have it at home where I have a machine I can use to make the real thing.

Aug 31, 2009 at 2:00 PM Post #394 of 668
if you can get fresh (really fresh) coffee and are willing to have a decent grinder at home (to grind 15 minutes, at most, before you use it) then there's no benefit to pods or premixed preground coffees.

seriously, some people throw away good grounds if they've sat there for more than 15 minutes. imagine how old your pre-ground coffee is
wink.gif

Sep 3, 2009 at 2:10 AM Post #395 of 668
My choice of coffee at work is either dishwater from the faculty c&d place, or bitter baked crap from the coffee place in the food plaza. I don't have easy access to a sink, so French press and other similar methods are a pain in the ass. I finally broke down and got a decent coffee setup to use there. No more dishwater
biggrin.gif

Baratza Maestro

maestro.jpg

Technivorm KBT741

technivorm.jpg

Sep 3, 2009 at 4:53 AM Post #397 of 668
Quote:

Originally Posted by El_Doug /img/forum/go_quote.gif
All that fancy stuff cannot beat the body that I get from my $12 french press
biggrin.gif

Actually, it can. The Technivorm makes an excellent cup of coffee. Depending on the bean(s), the grind, the temp and consistency of technique, the Tech can make an excellent cup of coffee. Its primary drawbacks are two-fold: the hot plate and the water shower/distribution system. Those can be dealt with.

In the right hands, a French Press can make phenomenal coffee, though I have come to prefer the AeroPress. Granted, its filters can remove certain oils and other flavor/body elements, but I think that is why some beans taste better in an Aero, while others are better than an FP.

For me, it's espresso 99% of the time, and while the Illy at work is barely tolerable, fresh roasted Black Cat or Monkey Blend at home is tough to top.

Sep 3, 2009 at 5:25 AM Post #398 of 668
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pale Rider /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Its primary drawbacks are two-fold: the hot plate and the water shower/distribution system. Those can be dealt with.

The model I bought (pictured) doesn't actually have a hot plate; it just brews straight into a thermal carafe. Unfortunately, not a really nice stainless carafe (it's glass-lined), but it should be fine for my needs at work. A nice feature it has is the drip adjustment switch. You can set it to off, slow, or full. SM suggests running the brewer for a minute with the drip switch off, giving it a quick stir, then running it on slow for the rest of the cycle. This gets you perfect grind saturation.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pale Rider /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For me, it's espresso 99% of the time, and while the Illy at work is barely tolerable, fresh roasted Black Cat or Monkey Blend at home is tough to top.

I've really gone off Monkey Blend since I started trying all the workshop blends. I've seen a lot of people mentioning the same thing lately. I have 5 lbs of #5 and #6 to try, but I'm going through some of the New Classic blend right now, with Moka Kadir next in the queue. Loving my new espresso grinder
biggrin.gif

Oct 10, 2009 at 9:45 AM Post #399 of 668
Audioaffair's post a couple months ago has prompted me to repurpose some Nespresso-related thoughts I recently sent to some friends. Quote:

Originally Posted by audioaffair /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Very belated response (been away from the forums a while).

Yes, and I largely agree with what you say. Nespresso is very good. In fact, it's what I'd recommend to most people. I'm a buy-fresh, grind-fresh, keep-practicing-technique espresso drinker myself, but for friends and family less dedicated than that, Nespresso's been the right choice.

First, though, it's important to be clear about what Nespresso is good for. It's good for making espresso drinks - specifically a "single" sized espresso, an Americano, or a cappuccino or latte if you get a steam-capabile machine are are okay with big-bubble frothy foam and not the pourable microfoam the artisan coffeehouses make.

Nespresso isn't a substitute for drip coffee, French press (AKA cafetiere in the UK), or other non-espresso preparation methods. Although Nespresso offers some "lungo" capsules that are intended to be drawn as more or less full cups (small cups, not mugs) of coffee, they really don't stack up to a good coffee you could make pretty easily some other way.

But Nespresso does make very good espresso. By "very good" I mean a pleasure to drink, and to my taste much more enjoyable than the espresso sold by the big chains -- but not as good as what you'll be served in a real artisan coffee house.

Better than what you would make at home by some other means? That depends on you. If you are willing to go to the effort of keeping always fresh coffee in stock (for me that means <= 2 weeks from date of roast), individually grinding each shot just before it's used, and spending some time getting your skills in order, then you can, at least after a bit of practice, draw a shot that's better than Nespresso. But if you aren't going to do those things, then Nespresso will make a better shot than you will.

And I truly mean that. Someone who owns an espresso machine and feeds it preground weeks-old coffee, whether it's supermarket, Illy, or the local branch of your favourite chain, is not, in my experience, getting shots anywhere near as good as what Nespresso produces.

Even though the Nespresso capsules are also preroasted and preground, they seem, just as audioaffair says, to last a very long time, to the point where "hmm, when did I buy this box of capsules?" effectively ceases to be a concern. At least that's been my experience with them -- and again, I'm someone who throws beans away two weeks after roast (and is often dismayed by their deterioration by day 10 or 11). You can stock up months' worth of capsules at a time and not worry about freshness, just use as needed. Depending how much you drink, the long-lasting capsules can be a significant cost advantage. At roughly US$0.50/capsule, a shot a day is a generally a good deal less than a fresh bag every two weeks from an artisan roaster. Two shots a day is about par with buying fresh, exclusive of transportation costs and convenience. But convenience matters a lot to most people. You have to be a little bit dedicated to commit to buying fresh beans every couple of weeks whether you've run out of the old ones or not.

So I really do think Nespresso is the right choice for most people. That said, we on Head-Fi are not "most people," but people who go to unusual lengths in the service of particular kinds of sensory experiences. If that describes how you feel about your coffee, then you won't be satisfied with your Nespresso for long. It offers a repeatably very good result, but not a perfect one nor one that can be endlessly fine-tuned to your taste.

Note: I am speaking specifically of Nespresso, not the various other capsule systems that are available. I haven't tried those, and won't generalize about them. (I have tried the Illy pods, prepackaged ground espresso teabag sorts of things individually sealed in foil, which can be used with ordinary espresso machines. They weren't good.)

Note: folks, don't worry about that 19 bar number. It may be the pressure the pump can develop against an infinite impedance, but it doesn't achieve anything like that in practice pumping against an actual capsule.

Oct 10, 2009 at 1:57 PM Post #400 of 668
the technivorm makes a phenomenal cup of coffee, and more than enough for two people to have seconds! the thermal carafe holds temp pretty well too.

it displaced my capresso mt500, and is much less messy cleaning up than my french presses- which i also love.

i home roast, so that may have a bearing on my preferences, but the technivorm really is the s**T!

sipping a java-yemen blend i put together this morning, and it's bringing a smile to my face.

YUM!

Nov 4, 2009 at 6:13 AM Post #401 of 668
I thought that I would share my current brewing setup workflow experiment. French press is good but too many bits in the coffee for me, pourover I like quite a bit with the fabric filter. My biggest concern is with the pourover is the amount of time the grinds are in contact with the water. For both the press and pourover the water temperatures change probably isn't ideal over the duration of the process.

So my experiment has been to brew the coffee in a small thermos and then filter through a flannel filter. I measure the coffee to be ground by weight to 60g per L of water. Grind the coffee & bring the water up to 94 ish degrees and then combine the grinds and hot water in a small pre-warmed thermos and stir. Wait a couple of minutes and stir again then at 4 minutes open the thermos and pour the contents through the filter into a mug.

Nov 4, 2009 at 4:01 PM Post #402 of 668
[size=xx-small] Quote:

Originally Posted by episiarch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Audioaffair's post a couple months ago has prompted me to repurpose some Nespresso-related thoughts I recently sent to some friends.Very belated response (been away from the forums a while).

Yes, and I largely agree with what you say. Nespresso is very good. In fact, it's what I'd recommend to most people. I'm a buy-fresh, grind-fresh, keep-practicing-technique espresso drinker myself, but for friends and family less dedicated than that, Nespresso's been the right choice.

First, though, it's important to be clear about what Nespresso is good for. It's good for making espresso drinks - specifically a "single" sized espresso, an Americano, or a cappuccino or latte if you get a steam-capabile machine are are okay with big-bubble frothy foam and not the pourable microfoam the artisan coffeehouses make.

Nespresso isn't a substitute for drip coffee, French press (AKA cafetiere in the UK), or other non-espresso preparation methods. Although Nespresso offers some "lungo" capsules that are intended to be drawn as more or less full cups (small cups, not mugs) of coffee, they really don't stack up to a good coffee you could make pretty easily some other way.

But Nespresso does make very good espresso. By "very good" I mean a pleasure to drink, and to my taste much more enjoyable than the espresso sold by the big chains -- but not as good as what you'll be served in a real artisan coffee house.

Better than what you would make at home by some other means? That depends on you. If you are willing to go to the effort of keeping always fresh coffee in stock (for me that means <= 2 weeks from date of roast), individually grinding each shot just before it's used, and spending some time getting your skills in order, then you can, at least after a bit of practice, draw a shot that's better than Nespresso. But if you aren't going to do those things, then Nespresso will make a better shot than you will.

And I truly mean that. Someone who owns an espresso machine and feeds it preground weeks-old coffee, whether it's supermarket, Illy, or the local branch of your favourite chain, is not, in my experience, getting shots anywhere near as good as what Nespresso produces.

Even though the Nespresso capsules are also preroasted and preground, they seem, just as audioaffair says, to last a very long time, to the point where "hmm, when did I buy this box of capsules?" effectively ceases to be a concern. At least that's been my experience with them -- and again, I'm someone who throws beans away two weeks after roast (and is often dismayed by their deterioration by day 10 or 11). You can stock up months' worth of capsules at a time and not worry about freshness, just use as needed. Depending how much you drink, the long-lasting capsules can be a significant cost advantage. At roughly US$0.50/capsule, a shot a day is a generally a good deal less than a fresh bag every two weeks from an artisan roaster. Two shots a day is about par with buying fresh, exclusive of transportation costs and convenience. But convenience matters a lot to most people. You have to be a little bit dedicated to commit to buying fresh beans every couple of weeks whether you've run out of the old ones or not.

So I really do think Nespresso is the right choice for most people. That said, we on Head-Fi are not "most people," but people who go to unusual lengths in the service of particular kinds of sensory experiences. If that describes how you feel about your coffee, then you won't be satisfied with your Nespresso for long. It offers a repeatably very good result, but not a perfect one nor one that can be endlessly fine-tuned to your taste.

Note: I am speaking specifically of Nespresso, not the various other capsule systems that are available. I haven't tried those, and won't generalize about them. (I have tried the Illy pods, prepackaged ground espresso teabag sorts of things individually sealed in foil, which can be used with ordinary espresso machines. They weren't good.)

Note: folks, don't worry about that 19 bar number. It may be the pressure the pump can develop against an infinite impedance, but it doesn't achieve anything like that in practice pumping against an actual capsule.

[size=small]I really appreciate reading your well reasoned and informative post! I might have to look into these machines for some of my less dedicated coffee loving friends.
[/size]
Quote:

Originally Posted by fzman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the technivorm makes a phenomenal cup of coffee, and more than enough for two people to have seconds! the thermal carafe holds temp pretty well too.

it displaced my capresso mt500, and is much less messy cleaning up than my french presses- which i also love.

i home roast, so that may have a bearing on my preferences, but the technivorm really is the s**T!

sipping a java-yemen blend i put together this morning, and it's bringing a smile to my face.

YUM!

[size=small]You are really making it hard for me to resist getting a Technivorm. I freely acknowledge that they're the best for making more than one cup at a time. Recently I have attended a couple of get togethers with friends and have been begged to bring coffee. With that, I have no problem, but for the brewing method, I've dragged my Melita vacuum pot along, and aside from using overlymuch coffee per pot, I've never been happy with the taste of the finished product from it. Technivorm, here I come!
wink_face.gif
[/size]

Quote:

Originally Posted by JadeEast /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I thought that I would share my current brewing setup workflow experiment. French press is good but too many bits in the coffee for me, pourover I like quite a bit with the fabric filter. My biggest concern is with the pourover is the amount of time the grinds are in contact with the water. For both the press and pourover the water temperatures change probably isn't ideal over the duration of the process.

So my experiment has been to brew the coffee in a small thermos and then filter through a flannel filter. I measure the coffee to be ground by weight to 60g per L of water. Grind the coffee & bring the water up to 94 ish degrees and then combine the grinds and hot water in a small pre-warmed thermos and stir. Wait a couple of minutes and stir again then at 4 minutes open the thermos and pour the contents through the filter into a mug.

[/size]
[size=small]I would really encourage you to give the Aeropress a try.[/size]

Nov 4, 2009 at 4:41 PM Post #404 of 668
The AeroPress is just awesome!
I have had mine for about three weeks now and used it daily. It brew so much smoother coffee than a French press, in less than a quarter of the time. Well worth a try!
biggrin.gif

Nov 4, 2009 at 6:42 PM Post #405 of 668
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The AeroPress is just awesome!
I have had mine for about three weeks now and used it daily. It brew so much smoother coffee than a French press, in less than a quarter of the time. Well worth a try!
biggrin.gif

If you ever find a brewing device that makes coffee as well by the pot as Aeropress makes by the cup, please let me know!! We need a giant Aeropress!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back