Coffee Catastrophe !!! AHHHHH!!!!!!!
Jan 14, 2010 at 2:50 PM Post #46 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by Antony6555 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you're going to use nice coffee, you should really have an espresso machine. And preferably a pressure-based (rather than steam-based) machine.

Not all coffees (or roasts) are suitable for espresso. Most espressos are blends, but there are some varietal coffees that can make excellent SO espresso.

Jan 14, 2010 at 5:06 PM Post #47 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by Antony6555 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you're going to use nice coffee, you should really have an espresso machine. And preferably a pressure-based (rather than steam-based) machine.

Bah. Not all coffee is espresso. Here's my coffee prep from this morning:
Attachment 24738

Jan 15, 2010 at 9:25 AM Post #48 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drag0n /img/forum/go_quote.gif
KIROSIA - DONT FREEZE BEANS!!!!! Just put them in a sealed container away from air and moisture!!! Freezing coffee beans is sacralidge about as bad as Bose headphones on a Woo2 or B52 amp!!!
eek.gif

The horror!!!!

Explain it to her using similar analogies

Post results

Jan 15, 2010 at 10:09 PM Post #49 of 63
I am surprised someone hasn't mentioned performing a recable on their coffee grinder. Perhaps I am an amateur but isn't a grinder just a grinder? I have a Braun one and grind my beans every morning and it works just fine. If you want it ground more, just grind it longer (i.e. for expresso). For french press, just go for a quick spin...

I rather save the money for the better coffee!
My two coffee beans.

Jan 15, 2010 at 11:03 PM Post #50 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaxAudioMax /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am surprised someone hasn't mentioned performing a recable on their coffee grinder. Perhaps I am an amateur but isn't a grinder just a grinder? I have a Braun one and grind my beans every morning and it works just fine. If you want it ground more, just grind it longer (i.e. for expresso). For french press, just go for a quick spin...

I rather save the money for the better coffee!
My two coffee beans.

In a word, no. Blade grinders tend to shred the coffee rather than grind it. For drip coffee, this isn't really an issue. Dust and boulders is acceptable - the filter takes care of the fine stuff. Blade grinders tend to overheat the coffee, which can ruin the flavor. For French press coffee, you want a consistent, coarse grind without dust. A good burr grinder can accomplish this. Blade grinders tend to make a lot of dust. It's also difficult to get a repeatable grind fine enough for espresso - too fine and the porta filter will clog, too coarse and the extraction time is too short.

For espresso, grind is crucial for proper extraction. Espresso enthusiasts anguish over the the exact grind, which is why espresso grinders are continuously adjustable (i.e., no click stops.)

Jan 16, 2010 at 5:43 AM Post #51 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by beerguy0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For drip coffee, this isn't really an issue. Dust and boulders is acceptable - the filter takes care of the fine stuff.

With drip the coffee itself becomes part of the filter bed so the dust can have an effect on the dwell time, as well as extract differently than larger chunks.

Jan 16, 2010 at 1:45 PM Post #52 of 63
Quote:

In a word, no. Blade grinders tend to shred the coffee rather than grind it. For drip coffee, this isn't really an issue. Dust and boulders is acceptable - the filter takes care of the fine stuff. Blade grinders tend to overheat the coffee, which can ruin the flavor. For French press coffee, you want a consistent, coarse grind without dust. A good burr grinder can accomplish this. Blade grinders tend to make a lot of dust. It's also difficult to get a repeatable grind fine enough for espresso - too fine and the porta filter will clog, too coarse and the extraction time is too short.

For espresso, grind is crucial for proper extraction. Espresso enthusiasts anguish over the the exact grind, which is why espresso grinders are continuously adjustable (i.e., no click stops.)

I am now enlightened. Thanks!

Jan 16, 2010 at 5:23 PM Post #53 of 63
I want to hire a diamond cutter to perfectly cut each bean!
biggrin.gif

Jan 16, 2010 at 7:30 PM Post #55 of 63
Quote:

I have a cheapo $50 Black and Decker blade grinder sitting beside a decent $120 Capresso conical burr grinder right now, and the differences are pretty astounding.

Jan 16, 2010 at 11:41 PM Post #57 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ham Sandwich /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Bah. Not all coffee is espresso. Here's my coffee prep from this morning:
Attachment 24738

Whatcha got there? Looks like it probably makes better espresso than my Aeropress tries to..

Jan 17, 2010 at 12:00 AM Post #58 of 63
^ The Aeropress doesn't really make espresso, but a sort of concentrated coffee. Course even entry-level espresso grinders/machines are in the triple digits, so concentrated coffee isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Jan 17, 2010 at 1:18 AM Post #59 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by malldian /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Whatcha got there? Looks like it probably makes better espresso than my Aeropress tries to..

It's Turkish style coffee. It's the way that many Arab and Mediterranean people prepare coffee.

Here's a general tutorial on how to make Turkish style coffee.

It's fun and interesting if you like strong coffee.

"Coffee should be as black as hell, as strong as death, and as sweet as love"

Jan 17, 2010 at 1:27 AM Post #60 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirosia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^ The Aeropress doesn't really make espresso, but a sort of concentrated coffee. Course even entry-level espresso grinders/machines are in the triple digits, so concentrated coffee isn't necessarily a bad thing.

I love my Aeropress. yup, it does not make an espresso. Not even close. What it does do is make a nice "Americano" style coffee. Press the coffee into a cup and then dilute with a little hot water. Dilute it just a little and keep it strong.

Blade grinders would be OK with the Aeropress. The paper filter will catch the dust that the blade grinder creates. Not ideal, but better than using a blade grinder for a French press or an espresso machine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back