Coffee Catastrophe !!! AHHHHH!!!!!!!
Jan 8, 2010 at 2:39 PM Post #16 of 63
parents%20house300.jpg

Jan 8, 2010 at 6:17 PM Post #18 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by dj_mocok /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The moral of the story is, stop living with your parents.

Have you ever lived in NY and lost your job due to a depression?
Just be happy youre in Austrailia.
wink_face.gif

Jan 8, 2010 at 6:19 PM Post #19 of 63
Just move out!
wink.gif

Keeping your own household without a risk of anyone messing with your coffee.

...or charge her $20, making sure you tell her why, then go out buying a new bag of 100% Kona.

Jan 8, 2010 at 7:17 PM Post #22 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by CrazyRay /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Coffee beans will remain fresh for up to 2 weeks.

How many people here keep their coffee beans longer than the 2 week optimal storage time?

I did. I only drank 12oz or so per day, alone. So I froze my beans for later use.

Jan 8, 2010 at 7:39 PM Post #23 of 63
I read your story and knew what was going to happen the second I read "can of Maxwell House".

As someone who buys beens green, roasts them himself, only grinds per use and loves his vaccuum brewer more than any of his childhood pets I cringed as you came to your inevitable conclusion.

Try some Kuawai (sp?) Estate Reserve if you can. My bean supplier said it's grown in the same area as Kona and tastes very close, if not identical to Kona. He sells it to me for less than half the price of Kona. He also said that the Kona reps are pissy to deal with.

And I would go with Jamican Blue Mountain over Kona. Kona's good but the Blue just has a great laid-back taste that I haven't found anywhere else.

Jan 8, 2010 at 7:52 PM Post #24 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drag0n /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Its new...i only used it twice so far, for non oily coffee.
I like it basically, it cuts pretty even, and its a pretty unit....but it doesnt grind really course for a press, or really powdery for turkish for expresso.

Its this model Amazon.com: Cuisinart Supreme Grind Automatic Coffee Burr Mill CCM-16SA: Kitchen & Dining

Cuisinart Supreme Grind Automatic Coffee Burr Mill CCM-16SA

ahhh!
I bought this one:

Cuisinart CBM-18C Programmable Conical Burr Mill: Amazon.ca: Home & Garden

it works wonders!

Jan 8, 2010 at 7:54 PM Post #25 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by wantmyf1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I read your story and knew what was going to happen the second I read "can of Maxwell House".

As someone who buys beens green, roasts them himself, only grinds per use and loves his vaccuum brewer more than any of his childhood pets I cringed as you came to your inevitable conclusion.

Try some Kuawai (sp?) Estate Reserve if you can. My bean supplier said it's grown in the same area as Kona and tastes very close, if not identical to Kona. He sells it to me for less than half the price of Kona. He also said that the Kona reps are pissy to deal with.

And I would go with Jamican Blue Mountain over Kona. Kona's good but the Blue just has a great laid-back taste that I haven't found anywhere else.

you live in Deadmonton!!! how do you get vacuum brewers and the ability to roast your own beans and buying Estate Reserve? When I lived there I was stuck with Stracraps!!
Wow...had I known I never would have left...oh wait -50 on a good day in the winter...that is why I left!

Jan 8, 2010 at 8:38 PM Post #26 of 63
Do you drink your coffee black? I get frustrated when people put lots of junk in it. The same thing with the sauces, why would you mix it with anything else? Then you don't taste the coffee. When I used to work at a coffee shop it amazed me the junk people put into their coffee. I love the taste of a good dark blend coffee, like Italian and French.

Jan 9, 2010 at 12:24 AM Post #28 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by wantmyf1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Yeah that sounds like something i want to try. One day id like to get a vac-brewer also. Those things look cool !!!
Ive tried Jamaican Blue Mt blend, so it wasnt the expensive stuff, but it was good anyway though.

Quote:

Originally Posted by freakydrew /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ahhh!
I bought this one:

Cuisinart CBM-18C Programmable Conical Burr Mill: Amazon.ca: Home & Garden

it works wonders!

Thats similar to mine inside i believe, but yours is programable and more money. Mine is only like $45-50usd or so. It cuts even and all, but as i said it just doesnt get course enough. It tastes fine at the course setting and hasnt made my press coffee into mud yet, but i know it should be able to grind more course. I thought of getting a manual hand grinder made of brass and stainless steele. I saw a nice-looking one for like $60 or so. I think the name was like "Danesco" or something similar.

KIROSIA - DONT FREEZE BEANS!!!!! Just put them in a sealed container away from air and moisture!!! Freezing coffee beans is sacralidge about as bad as Bose headphones on a Woo2 or B52 amp!!!
eek.gif

The horror!!!!

Jan 9, 2010 at 12:59 AM Post #30 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by CrazyRay /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Coffee beans will remain fresh for up to 2 weeks.

How many people here keep their coffee beans longer than the 2 week optimal storage time?

I've been home roasting for over a year. In that time, we have had no coffee older than 10 days from roast. A lot of coffees, especially dry process, require at least 2-3 days rest after roasting, and some DP Ethiopians are peaking at 7-10 days. Two weeks is about the max.

My wife and I have become so spoiled by always having good coffee that we take a coffee rig with us when we travel, even to the point of buying bottled water if necessary. I've even taken a burr grinder camping
redface.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back