Closest 'Phones to T1 for $300?
Jun 30, 2010 at 5:12 PM Post #16 of 52
So the T1 improves upon the HD650.  From the graphs alone, it has better sub-bass extension and mids that are more present at the central mid region.  But that treble spike at 10khz kisses goodbye any thoughts that the HD650 will sound in anyway similar to the T1's.  I'm betting a DT880 will be more appropriate.

Jun 30, 2010 at 10:24 PM Post #17 of 52
Check this out. Happened upon it just randomly selecting headphones:

Jun 30, 2010 at 10:30 PM Post #18 of 52
DT880

no brainer.

Jul 1, 2010 at 8:32 AM Post #20 of 52

Quote:
Check this out. Happened upon it just randomly selecting headphones:

Very interesting.  That's a pretty good match for that ~9kHz peak the T1s seem to show.  The bass is humped up a little more and isn't quite as well-extended, but definitely not a bad match (comparison-wise).

No opinions on the K601s, HD600s, DT770s, or DT990s as compared to the T1s?  The consensus is strongly pointing to the DT880s, which makes sense (especially in terms of architecture -- the T1s almost seem to be a pair of DT880s with a more advanced driver design).  But I would like to see if anyone out there can compare these other models to the T1s, just for the sake of being thorough.

Jul 1, 2010 at 8:36 AM Post #21 of 52
I just noticed:

David.M, I see you have both the DT880s and DT990s.  Could you explain why the DT880s are a closer match to the T1s?

Mr Joboto, care to comment on those DT770s?

Thanks for your help, guys...keep the info comin'! 
beerchug.gif

Jul 1, 2010 at 8:45 AM Post #22 of 52
My DT770s are the Pro version, definitely nowhere near the T1, boomy overblown bass and recessed mids.

Jul 1, 2010 at 9:39 AM Post #23 of 52

Quote:
I just noticed:

David.M, I see you have both the DT880s and DT990s.  Could you explain why the DT880s are a closer match to the T1s?

Mr Joboto, care to comment on those DT770s?

Thanks for your help, guys...keep the info comin'! 
beerchug.gif

never heard the T1's before, but if you do some reading from users who owned both, you'll find that both possess very similar traits. This thread
might help you understand a little more.

Jul 1, 2010 at 11:19 AM Post #27 of 52
Jul 1, 2010 at 12:47 PM Post #28 of 52
He's also come to the decision, IIRC, that the T1 is not an improvement upon the DT880 sound, but a different sound altogether. I'm not sure, based on that thread, that the DT880 is the next best thing to the T1.

Jul 1, 2010 at 1:29 PM Post #29 of 52
hd650s definitely sound similar.  T1 does a better job on vocals, but i wouldnt mind listening to either.  the 8k treble hump is about the only major difference, and from my listening experience you get used to the cymbals being slightly annoying after a short while.
Also disagree that dt880s are similar to the T1s... they may look the same, but the 880s don't have nearly as much bass output (they can go low, but there isn't as much of it as you'd hear on the hd650/T1).  As a result you notice a lot more of the treble than you would w/ the hd650/T1.

In any case, talk is good but you really need to go out there and give these things a listen where you can.  There's so much personal preference involved that one person's "similar" might be "way the heck different" for you.  If that's not an option, buy from somewhere w/ cheap shipping and ample return options.  Personally I've never had a problem w/ Amazon and their free shipping (be it super saver or Prime two-day) is nice, and return shipping costs are very reasonable as well.

Jul 1, 2010 at 1:32 PM Post #30 of 52

Quote:
He's also come to the decision, IIRC, that the T1 is not an improvement upon the DT880 sound, but a different sound altogether. I'm not sure, based on that thread, that the DT880 is the next best thing to the T1.

That's what I get out of that thread as well.  It seems that pataburd has established quite well that the T1s and the DT880s sound different.  The question is: to what extent?

There have been a lot of recommendations for the DT880s...but there have also been a lot of people pointing to pataburd's thread, which seems to describe the DT880s as being an entirely different animal than the T1s.  So who's right?

Paging Skylab, MacedonianHero, pataburd...others?  Anything you guys can add to the DT880 / T1 comparison?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back