CLOSED to NEW - See AudioTiers in my Signature: US Head-Fi Tour: VISION EARS ELYSIUM vs. VE8 vs. ERLKöNIG TOTL CIEM Tour - Starting November 2019
Mar 23, 2020 at 3:27 PM Post #346 of 775
Moreover, people are hesitant to talk bad about multi-thousand dollar products. If you go to places like headfonics or other review sites, you would be hard pressed to find anything negative about pretty much anything. That's because they try to describe the sound signature without letting their preference getting in the way and I think a lot of people do that too.
It shouldn't' be like this. It should be the opposite. More expensive it is, more critical people should be. Reviewers are commercially involved, and I wouldn't put faith on reviewers that receive samples, as that reinforces them to NOT be critical in order to obtain more samples. Just common sense.

Since cost is so high, we can't risk our hard earned money based on a review. They must be demo'd. Which is the point of these tours.

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2020 at 3:32 PM Post #347 of 775
It shouldn't' be like this. It should be the opposite. More expensive it is, more critical people should be. Reviewers are commercially involved, and I wouldn't put faith on reviewers that receive samples, as that reinforces them to NOT be critical in order to obtain more samples. Just common sense.

Since cost is so high, we can't risk our hard earned money based on a review. They must be demo'd. Which is the point of these tours.
For how much flack I got for being critical about the bass of the Elysium, do you think any reviewer got the guts?

Mar 23, 2020 at 3:40 PM Post #348 of 775
For how much flack I got for being critical about the bass of the Elysium, do you think any reviewer got the guts?
When you read the reviews, you can tell if they are telling you bs without actually telling you anything or that person actually cares about other people being informed.

We got some gullable people as well and they have no idea. lol

Mar 23, 2020 at 3:50 PM Post #349 of 775
Looked through the thread, there's barely any long impressions on the VE8 and Elysium, that's odd considering the number of people in the tour.
The more I think about, the more I feel that Vision Ears couldn't have done better since a DD was out of the question because of midrange DD and one BA for bass was all they could muster. This still doesn't change the fact the bass quality sounds bad to me and I expect more of a $3000+ IEM. If I think of it as 'bass coming out of 1 BA' as opposed to 'bass coming out of a $3000 IEM', I suppose I could give it a pass but again, not at $3000.

Mar 23, 2020 at 3:53 PM Post #350 of 775
wish i could borrow your ears for a few minutes to hear the elysium the way you're hearing it.

Mar 23, 2020 at 5:20 PM Post #351 of 775
wish i could borrow your ears for a few minutes to hear the elysium the way you're hearing it.

Really? You wish for the experience of not enjoying something that normally you love? This hobby is funny...our favorite gear becomes like our "baby" and we feel indignant when others criticize it or don't feel the reverence for it that we do...I think it's a normal human response and I won't deny that l am periodically guilty of it myself. Someone trashes an IEM I love and it almost feels like a personal attack with me sometimes feeling the need to rush in like a white knight and defend its honor (often by insisting that you're just not hearing it right). That said while I understand the sentiment I think it's more important to accept and comprehend that it's quite normal for others to disagree, even indignantly, with our own impressions-- and to not be bothered by this. Take any piece of gear you love and there will be others whose opinions on it are equally and oppositely as strong. That's just the way the world is and it by no means diminishes the value and weight of your own experience. I love the Legend X and consider it a top tier IEM even though I know there are others who can't stand it's often suffocating amount of bass. Similarly I believe what Seamon is saying about the Elysium is true knowing full well that it's relative lack of a bass response is no problem, and even a strong point in its favor for some. Once upon a time I considered myself a basshead and would not consider an IEM without near cataclysmic amounts of bass. As time wears on I'm beginning to regard the midrange as the most important element of the FR with the bass being more as a means to an end, rather than the primary focus. Who's to say, maybe I'll demo an Ely one day and be won over by it on the basis of its mids alone...for the time being though I'm loving the VE8 and consider it the closest to perfection I've heard yet. I'm personally glad that there are companies like VE willing to take chances on unique and themed tunings, even if they're not all for me.

Mar 23, 2020 at 5:32 PM Post #352 of 775
Heh, not so I enjoy less, but so I understand more; how seamon hears the Elysium.

also, he isn’t commenting on the low quantity (which I completely agree with,) he said it has “the worst bass presentation.”

Mar 23, 2020 at 9:20 PM Post #354 of 775
If I think of it as 'bass coming out of 1 BA' as opposed to 'bass coming out of a $3000 IEM', I suppose I could give it a pass but again, not at $3000.
I haven’t heard them yet, so I can’t offer my opinion, but I agree with this wholeheartedly. I see comments like “it’s amazing bass for a single BA.” At this price, I would hope there’s no qualifier needed.

Alas, as others have already said, different strokes for different folks. Can’t wait for my turn regardless :)

Mar 23, 2020 at 10:01 PM Post #355 of 775
Just to clarify any confusion caused by how I’ve presented my thoughts on this...

when I’ve said I’m impressed that it’s only 1 ba making the bass on the Elysium, “1 ba” isn’t a qualifier for the poor bass, “1 ba” is a qualifier for my amazement that the tuning of this single ba beats the bass I’ve heard on most other iems, period.

the Elysium definitely has a bass-light signature overall, and I do believe the bass presence will increase on the custom model, which has been stated by owners.

that said, the bass on the elysium is just really high quality bass, even if it’s not high in quantity.

seamon’s is the first opinion I’ve seen that categorizes the bass as “the worst.”

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2020 at 10:26 PM Post #356 of 775
Just to clarify any confusion caused by how I’ve presented my thoughts on this...

when I’ve said I’m impressed that it’s only 1 ba making the bass on the Elysium, “1 ba” isn’t a qualifier for the poor bass, “1 ba” is a qualifier for my amazement that the tuning of this single ba beats the bass I’ve heard on most other iems, period.

the Elysium definitely has a bass-light signature overall, and I do believe the bass presence will increase on the custom model, which has been stated by owners.

that said, the bass on the elysium is just really high quality bass, even if it’s not high in quantity.

seamon’s is the first opinion I’ve seen that categorizes the bass as “the worst.”
Yea I just don't see how Elysium bass beats most other iems unless you are comparing sub $1000 IEMs. Also doesn't help that there are barely any detailed impressions on the Elysium.

Mar 23, 2020 at 11:34 PM Post #357 of 775
it appears we have reached an impasse.

let’s just wave to each other from opposite sides of the unfinished bridge...

:wave:

Mar 24, 2020 at 7:03 AM Post #359 of 775
I hope there are no hard feelings @Vision Ears , I simply expressed my impressions and honestly didn't expect this to blow up to this extent. We all have different tastes and I just didn't like the Elysium. I think the VE8 is great though!!!

Mar 24, 2020 at 7:44 AM Post #360 of 775
I hope there are no hard feelings @Vision Ears , I simply expressed my impressions and honestly didn't expect this to blow up to this extent. We all have different tastes and I just didn't like the Elysium. I think the VE8 is great though!!!
Hi @seamon ,
no hard feelings. Why should there be?
As you say: listening and perception are effected by so many factors, many (if not most) of them being highly subjective. That is the interesting part in this audiophile (and also professional music) community.
We are happy if every customer has his or her go to item. We are trying to contribute to the pool of items, what we are convinced of is great. But we are well aware of the fact that not everybody will love it.

Different input and opinions on our products is what helps us to understand different tastes and requirements which always find their way into our new products.

Keep up the vivid discussions and stay healthy everyone!

All the best from Cologne,

Johannes

Vision Ears Stay updated on Vision Ears at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/visionears.de/ https://www.instagram.com/visionears https://vision-ears.de/ info@vision-ears.de

Users who are viewing this thread

Back