CLOSED THREAD -- Orange County, CA Head-Fi Meet Up - November 21, 2009
Nov 21, 2009 at 4:13 AM Post #121 of 136
Have a great meet enjoy. Take lots of pics I wanna see some good impressions
biggrin.gif

Nov 21, 2009 at 5:38 AM Post #122 of 136
I will get there early and help you with the layout and table arrangement, Leonard. I've done it before. I'll be there at 9:30. I'm 76 miles away, so I plan on leaving around 7:45. I need to get the Phoenix and Ref1 warmed up anyway. I really wish I could just bring my whole audio rack, much easier to connect the power cords and cables that way than having everything side by side (because these components are rather large). Including my computer I've probably got about 200 lbs. worth of stuff.

Basically, the people with turntables and the people with the heaviest and most expensive gear should have the wood tables. I don't have any table cloths so can someone please volunteer to bring a bunch for all of us? My gear doesn't have any spikes so I'm not too worried, but for those that do have spikes you should bring something to put under it.

I will be debuting two new cables there. First is a custom current-to-voltage bufferless passive I/V cable (CAST-to-XLR) made by Steve at Q that I'm using with my Reference One DAC. It was made so that I can use my Ref1 with the Beta22 I'm building, and not be stuck using the XLR outputs on the Ref1 that employ a passive I/V with a 0db buffer. Even though I only have the Phoenix at present to try it with, it is incredible! It actually sounds substantially better than the direct current (CAST) cables, and that was quite a shocker! Because it has no buffer, volume levels will vary between amps depending on their attenuator impedance, so these cables need to have resistor values that match your amp. ~~~~~ Secondly, I will be debuting the premier flagship HD800 cable that Peter of Double Helix Cables made me. He sent me his own personal cable to audition and I was completely blown away by it as it was hands down the best HD800 cable I've ever heard. The one he made for me employs even more dampening and materials, and it blows away his own personal one. It is a hefty cable, as both channels are completely separate cables. This type of design may not appeal to everyone, but when you hear it I guarantee you'll agree you've never heard anything like it. Each channel is completely isolated from the other, so crosstalk between cables is non-existent. ~~~~~ Thirdly, you may or may not have read my thread on a simple mod I came up with for the HD800. If you haven't done the mod, you will have a chance tomorrow to hear what the HD800 sound like with it. There is no way I could ever go back to listening to it sans mod. (I know because I've tried several times, and I didn't like it.)

John,
I definitely want to try the Diverter in my system. Lee informed me he sent you one. I want to compare it to the Transporter. Does it have a BNC output? I really hope so.

Ok, time to start packing up all the gear. Tomorrow will be a very fun day, and if you haven't been to a meet yet you will have a blast. Everyone should be respectful of everyone else's gear, and please, do not walk off the premises with someone else's stuff. None of us want a repeat of that.
redface.gif
NO HAIR GEL, MOUSSE, OR ANY HAIR PRODUCTS and NO HAND LOTION PLEASE.

I will be bringing a Sony Alpha A230 DSLR with me, so we can take lots of pics.

Nov 21, 2009 at 6:46 AM Post #123 of 136
Quote:

Originally Posted by IPodPJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
John,
I definitely want to try the Diverter in my system. Lee informed me he sent you one. I want to compare it to the Transporter. Does it have a BNC output? I really hope so.

I will be bringing a Sony Alpha A230 DSLR with me, so we can take lots of pics.

Yes, newest version with BNC. In fact, it was built Wed and shipped to John on Thur, so it has almost no hours on it.

Phil bought a camera...whoa.
biggrin.gif

Lee

Nov 21, 2009 at 6:48 AM Post #124 of 136
Quote:

Originally Posted by santacore /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have just received a very beautiful, and very fresh Diverter from Josh at Sonicweld. It's a demo unit specifically sent for this meet. If anyone wants to give it a listen, stop by and see me.

John

Glad it made it! No one will miss it due to the color we sent!
wink.gif

Lee

Nov 21, 2009 at 7:02 AM Post #125 of 136
This meeting looks exciting and I hope to drive up from San Diego.

I'll bring my Denon D2000 headphones, HeadRoom Total Bithead, and portable Panasonic cd player (manuf 1998). It's not much, but it's all I've got.

Richard

Nov 21, 2009 at 7:12 AM Post #126 of 136
Quote:

Originally Posted by guitarplayer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, newest version with BNC. In fact, it was built Wed and shipped to John on Thur, so it has almost no hours on it.

Phil bought a camera...whoa.
biggrin.gif

Lee

No, I bought my girlfriend a camera for her birthday with a 16GB card and a bounce flash. How many times has she used it? None. And she wanted one. So I made sure I got a nice one I would use too.

Nov 21, 2009 at 7:22 AM Post #127 of 136
Because of family reasons (church etc) I won't be able to go. May be next time. I am sure you guys will have a great time!

Nov 21, 2009 at 8:15 AM Post #128 of 136
It'd be nice if me and deadneddz could setup in the board room. 4 sources, 5 amps, and at least 7 electrostatic headphones. Electrostatic headphones are completely open, so any outside noise will be heard when wearing them. The reduced noise in this room would benefit your listening sessions with these headphones greatly.

I plan on getting there a little before 10:00. If any of you guys need an extra set of hands to help set things up I can get there earlier. Let me know and I'll leave my house earlier than planned. I'm about an hour away.

Anybody know if Gary (moonboy) is gonna show up?

Nov 21, 2009 at 8:52 AM Post #129 of 136
Sorry, can't get off from work as I'll be working from 9:00am to 5:00pm.

However, Mike will be bringing his K1000 and there will be 2 Audio Note amps present so you guys won't be missing my gear at all.

Nov 21, 2009 at 4:34 PM Post #130 of 136
Looking for pictures, I am home sick or i would be there. It would be no fun for me like this and i sure don't want to pass it around in the intimacy of a meet all sharing HPs and stuff. Have fun, I'll be at the next one.

PS. Someone get a shot of PJs headphone cables, I have similar ones on order(in an SE configuration) and I really wanted to see them.

Nov 21, 2009 at 5:49 PM Post #132 of 136
I am leaving now (just got back from dog park) and will stop and get bagels and schmear (whatever happened to calling it cream cheese). Be there between 10 and 10:30.

Nov 23, 2009 at 6:54 PM Post #135 of 136
Here is a link to some pictures I took at the meet.
It was a great time. Thank-you to everyone that took the time and risk of bringing out your gear.
Photos of MiniCanJam 2009 NB

Users who are viewing this thread

Back