CLOSED THREAD -- Orange County, CA Head-Fi Meet Up - November 21, 2009
Oct 12, 2009 at 2:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 136

leichnitz

100+ Head-Fier
More Details on this Saturday meet up:

TIME AND PLACE -- Saturday, November 21, 10am - 5pm. Newport Hills Club House, 1900 Port Carlow Pl., Newport Beach 92660

MONEY -- I am going on the honor system. I see that others have required pre-payment to attend. That is too much trouble, and besides, the facility was cheap. Instead, I will have a big jar on a table in the corner, with a sign asking for contributions. I am asking that everyone contribute at least $10. The facility fee is $125, which I prepaid. I will contribute the first $40, which means only the first $85 raised will go to repaying my facility fee. Any cash we raise above $85 will go directly to Head-Fi for whoever pays for its bandwidth, etc. What a great site. Anyway, I do not want to be a nag on Saturday. So please, just contribute.

THE SPACE --

Here is a pic of the clubhouse exterior.

DropBox

Here is a pic of the Great Room, main listening room. It is big (30'x40'), and two of the four sides of the room are all glass doors.
leichnitz-albums-oc-meet-pix-picture4007-033.jpg

Here is a closeup of the two solid wood tables in the middle of the room:
leichnitz-albums-oc-meet-pix-picture4008-030.jpg

If you have a turntable or extra heavy equipment, you may want to arrive early and claim one of these heavy duty tables (see below on priority).

This room has plenty of space on the both side of this furniture cluster in the middle of the room to set up tables along each side. The club house has plenty of additional plastic folding tables (2.5'x5' rectangle or 5' circular) we can set up as needed.

Also, in terms of outlets, I counted five along the perimeters walls, and four in separate pods in the floor throughout the room. I looked at the power panel and it appears that there are two separate 20amp circuits through this room, but I am not certain of that.

We also have the Board Room, which is pretty big itself (16'x26'). We can use this room for whatever food and drink people want to have, and maybe enough extra space for one or two listening stations. (If bringing anything alcoholic, that it your business. Do not post it here for insurance reasons.)

Here is a pic of the Board Room:
leichnitz-albums-oc-meet-pix-picture4009-025.jpg

SET-UP PRIORITY AND CLAIMING SPACE -- This should be a pretty casual meet, I hope, so no need to reserve space with me. No need to arrive super-early either. Seven hours is already lots of time committed to this, so I will be there only maybe 15 minutes early, open doors, and people can arrive and figure out their particular set up wants and needs on a first-come, first-served basis.

EQUIPMENT -- Admittedly, have not updated for several weeks. But as of that time, here is what people said they were bringing.

Headphones:

Senneiser HD 800 (2)
Senneiser HD 650
Sennheiser HD570
Sennheiser RS 140 (wireless)
Darth Beyer (Beyerdynamic DT770) (80ohm)
Grado HF-1
Grado SR-225 (w/ HD414 pads)
Grado SR-125
Grado SR-60
JVC HA-RX 900 (modded)
JVC HA-RX 700 (modded)
AKG K-1000
Shure 530
Shure SRH-840
Audio Technica ATH-A900
Audio Technica ATH-AD2000

Stax:
SR Omega2 mk1
SR Lambda
SR Lambda Signature
SR Sigma
SR Sigma Pro
SR 5

Koss PortaPro

IEM:
Ultimate Ears Triple-Fi
Westone 3
Etymotic ER-4S

Amps:

Full Size:
B22
Ana Deux (tube amp)
Singlepower MPX3 (aka Amp o' Death)
Beresford TC-7510 (amp + DAC)
Audio-GD Compas (amp + DAC)

Stax:
SRM-T1S
SRM-T1
SRM1-MK2 (C series)
HEADSIX
ExStatA DIY Electrostat amp

Portable:
RSA Predator (3)
RSA Hornet

Sources/DAC:

Full Size:
Benchmark DAC1 USB
Cambridge Audio DacMagic
Marantz SA8001 (SACD player)

Portable:
iPhone 3g
PSP Go
Sanza Fuze
Cowan A2
PS3
Creative Zen Vision M 60GB

Oct 12, 2009 at 3:20 AM Post #2 of 136
Looks like a yacht club. I will do everything I can to make it. I will pm you with a list of goodies.

Oct 12, 2009 at 7:31 AM Post #3 of 136
I'll be there. I plan to bring the headphone collection, Zana Deux and Marantz SA8001. Depending on free time, I might also unhook the Moth and bring the DVD-A10 (DVD-A player) along, too.

Oct 12, 2009 at 8:04 AM Post #4 of 136
I'll be going and I'll bring this stuff:

Headphones:

Sennheiser HE60 (maybe)

Stax:
SR Omega2 mk1
SR Lambda
SR Lambda Signature
SR Sigma
SR Sigma Pro
SR 5

Amps:

Sennheiser HEV70 (maybe)
ExStatA DIY Electrostat amp

Stax:
SRM-717
SRM-T1S
SRM-T1
SRM1-MK2 (C series)
SRD-6sb (maybe)

Sources:

Assemblage DAC1
Parasound DAC 1100HD

Is there any interest in hearing the HE60? I have a Stax adapter for it so I can run it off the 717. I'm just worried because it's kind of fragile compared to the other stuff. Any interest in hearing the SRD6? It's an alternative take on the Stax sound that some might prefer more than the amplifiers and would make a nice setup on the cheap with the normal bias Lambdas.

The location looks really nice. Any internal shots? How many power outlets are there? Also, I think it makes more sense to just groups "dacs" and "sources" together. Anyways, this should be lots of fun. Anybody in the area able to bring a K1000 rig?
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 12, 2009 at 3:28 PM Post #5 of 136
I'd like to attend, but I'm scheduled for work that day.

If I can rearrange things, I'll bring my SR60i, IE7 and Audio-gd Compass which is on the hopefully not too slow boat from China. I'd like to test the Compass with some higher quality cans.

Oct 12, 2009 at 11:31 PM Post #8 of 136
Quote:

Originally Posted by n3rdling /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'll be going and I'll bring this stuff:

Headphones:

Sennheiser HE60 (maybe)

Stax:
SR Omega2 mk1
SR Lambda
SR Lambda Signature
SR Sigma
SR Sigma Pro
SR 5

Amps:

Sennheiser HEV70 (maybe)

Stax:
SRM-717
SRM-T1S
SRM-T1
SRM1-MK2 (C series)
SRD-6sb (maybe)

Sources:

Assemblage DAC1
Parasound DAC 1100HD

Is there any interest in hearing the HE60? I have a Stax adapter for it so I can run it off the 717. I'm just worried because it's kind of fragile compared to the other stuff. Any interest in hearing the SRD6? It's an alternative take on the Stax sound that some might prefer more than the amplifiers and would make a nice setup on the cheap with the normal bias Lambdas.

The location looks really nice. Any internal shots? How many power outlets are there? Also, I think it makes more sense to just groups "dacs" and "sources" together. Anyways, this should be lots of fun. Anybody in the area able to bring a K1000 rig?
smily_headphones1.gif

Wow, that is quite a list. I am a noob so have no idea what most of it is, but I saw that Stax won the "best headphone brand" poll, so I have been wanting to have a listen to a Stax can/amp combo. guess I will hear more than one!

I will take and post an internal pic shortly. I will also do an outlet count, maybe draw the floor plan. And I will consolidate the source/dac list as you suggest.

Oct 13, 2009 at 7:34 AM Post #12 of 136
Quote:

Originally Posted by leichnitz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow, that is quite a list. I am a noob so have no idea what most of it is, but I saw that Stax won the "best headphone brand" poll, so I have been wanting to have a listen to a Stax can/amp combo. guess I will hear more than one!

I will take and post an internal pic shortly. I will also do an outlet count, maybe draw the floor plan. And I will consolidate the source/dac list as you suggest.

Oh, you'll get to listen to some good stuff, alright.
smily_headphones1.gif

Also, I will bring the K-1000 this time. The Moth isn't happy right now - I've either got to pop the top or run it up to Craig's for a look see. But if it's still under the weather, I'll drag out the Conrad-Johnson MV52 to run the K-1000.

Oct 13, 2009 at 6:24 PM Post #13 of 136
Quote:

Originally Posted by n3rdling /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Any chance you can bring the Ref1 Phil?
evil_smiley.gif

Yeah, I'll do that for you. But only if you get some very good XLR cables.
wink.gif
More people definitely need to hear this DAC.
With the Phoenix, it doesn't sound as good with XLR as it does with the CAST connection. I'm still wondering how it will sound via XLR through other amps and I don't think I'll have my [size=x-small]ß22 ready by then because I won't have the money to do the chassis.
[/size]

Oct 13, 2009 at 9:40 PM Post #14 of 136
Damn! I will be on my way back from Honolulu that day (yes, Honolulu for work!) and won't land at LAX until 3:30pm (and that's the first flight out of HNL).

I'll be thinking of you guys....but listening to 4th G. RWA iMod (lossless)--> ALO jumbo cryo --> P-51 - JH13s

Best,

Roger

Users who are viewing this thread

Back