Closed rock/metal headphones
Jun 3, 2011 at 4:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Head-Fier
I've been looking for some for so long, but the only thing I've found is Grados, but Grados won't work as the design is 100% open. My house is somewhat noisy, so me having open phones is nearly impossible for it to be enjoyable at all. M50's are the only real headphones I have, but the bass doesn't sound as tight to me as some others I've demoed.

So, is there such a thing? IEM's MIGHT be OK, but I prefer full-size. However, maybe my tastes are different, but I love a good soundstage when listening to metal. Maybe that's not what most metalheads prefer, but, that's what I'd like. Really, only three requirements:

1. Tight bass
2. Closed
3. Soundstage
(listed in order of importance to me. Lesser soundstage is OK, but I'd prefer it.)

Source will be a Zune HD most of the time, other times will be an iPod Touch 4G. E5 is my amp(still wanting an E7, but if I can keep getting headphones that don't need it, I don't see the point.). Main metal genre's are Thrash, Speed, and a small amount of Black. Some hard rock is also used(think Metallica's Black Album, not counting Nothing Else Matters. Not exactly thrash, but not really soft, either.). Budget is around $200, maybe $220 with some stretching. Help is appreciated!

Jun 3, 2011 at 5:05 PM Post #2 of 7
Ive heard a lot of good things about grados and metal, since theyre pretty damn energetic headphones, bu their not closed back nor that bassy.

for grados get Grado SR60s or if you can find them SR80s
for closed im gonna recommend Beyerdynamic 770PRO

Jun 3, 2011 at 5:34 PM Post #3 of 7
ES10, QC15, Klipsch Image ONE, Ultrasone Pro900.

Jun 3, 2011 at 10:00 PM Post #4 of 7
ES10's? How about the ESW9's? I'm certainly an Audio Technica fan, so this is my main interest atm.

Staying away from the QC15(ANC + price) and the Ultrasones(price). Should've mentioned, but my budget is around $200. Would one of the cheaper Ultrasones, like the HFI-780?

And the DT770's velour(if it isn't that it's something non-pleather, which is awesome) intrigued me, but from what I hear it's a bit light on bass. How light, if it is?

Jun 4, 2011 at 2:49 AM Post #6 of 7

Quote:
And the DT770's velour(if it isn't that it's something non-pleather, which is awesome) intrigued me, but from what I hear it's a bit light on bass. How light, if it is?

Not light on bass.
They tend to be thrown in the bass heavy category.

different impedance versions have slightly varying amount of bass.  The 770 pro 80 ohms have a lot of bass.  but its not as accurate as the other "premium" versions (32, 250, 600 ohms).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back