Closed (passive noise cancel) over-ear phones with decent bass for PC/Music/Gaming use ~$200-400?
Dec 12, 2010 at 11:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

EvilLost

New Head-Fier
I am having a bit of a difficult time finding just the right set of headphones for me. I am relatively new to high end phones, but have tried buying 4 diff pairs of sennheisers so far; they all sound amazing, but their bass is really really lacking. (I have tried the HD280, 448, 555, and PXC450).

With that said, I am looking for a pair of headphones that can deliver excellent audio quality but these will primarily be used in a home theatre/pc and a substantial amount of gaming. As such, I absolutely want CLOSED headphones with some decently strong bass but something that will run straight off my PC or my onkyo reciever. 

EDIT: I am *NOT*  going to be wearing these in the library or anywhere like that. I will travel, although rarely with them. They will be used predominantly within my own house so sound leakage is a minor concern; the reason I want them closed is that I don't want OUTSIDE sound coming in; I do not care about inside sound going out at all.

I have a budget of anywhere up to $250-300 (although I'd hope to avoid the upper end of that...I am "comfortable" spending 150-250).

Can anyone help me in the right direction? I tried the Beats Studio by Dre and they sounded decent but my ears BARELY fit in them; i'm worried over an extended session it will be an issue.  I have been unable to actually test several of the other sets I'm looking at (didnt see them on display at best buy; not sure where "the" place to try them out would be).

In particular, I have been considering...

AKG K271
Denon AHD-2000 or AHD-5000
BeyerDynamic DT770 32ohm
Audiotechnica ATH-50M

they all ride ~$200 price point which is fair and good. I am WILLING to spend more but it seems that cans in the higher price points are too specified and require a good outside system to run so running them straight off my pc (currently with ONBOARD audio + realtek drivers....looking to change that if it makes that big of a difference as well).

I am having overall difficuty finding good information on what cans are good for PC use.  Note: I have looked into "gaming" headsets (esp ones with mics attached) and while i would prefer a mic I find that the audio quality on them all is just...crap. At this point I am pretty set on getting a separate desktop mic.

Thanks for the help!

Dec 15, 2010 at 2:50 AM Post #2 of 3
The only ones I have heard are the Denon D1100s and the DT 770 pros (80 ohm version). You mentioned the 770 32ohm version, and the 80 ohm version is actually easier to drive and have much much more bass. Read more about the difference between the two here.

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/513393/information-sonic-differences-between-dt770-dt990

From what I've heard, the DT 770 pros are pretty good for gaming and movies. You want excellent audio quality and these will deliver. It has a lot of bass and definitely aren't 100% accurate, but the bass not not overwhelm the other sounds. They are studio headphones and sound very detailed and relatively accurate. I have demo'd these a few times and I ordered them a few days ago. I am eagerly awaiting their arrival :).

Btw your Onkyo Receiver has a lot of power and will definitely give your phones enough power. For portable media, don't even try plugging them in something like an iPod nano without a good portable amp. When I was demoing, I found that even a small $25 E5 amp helps a lot with getting the volume up without destroying the sound. Just a few things to consider about them. Hope it helps.

Quote:
I am having a bit of a difficult time finding just the right set of headphones for me. I am relatively new to high end phones, but have tried buying 4 diff pairs of sennheisers so far; they all sound amazing, but their bass is really really lacking. (I have tried the HD280, 448, 555, and PXC450).

With that said, I am looking for a pair of headphones that can deliver excellent audio quality but these will primarily be used in a home theatre/pc and a substantial amount of gaming. As such, I absolutely want CLOSED headphones with some decently strong bass but something that will run straight off my PC or my onkyo reciever. 

EDIT: I am *NOT*  going to be wearing these in the library or anywhere like that. I will travel, although rarely with them. They will be used predominantly within my own house so sound leakage is a minor concern; the reason I want them closed is that I don't want OUTSIDE sound coming in; I do not care about inside sound going out at all.

I have a budget of anywhere up to $250-300 (although I'd hope to avoid the upper end of that...I am "comfortable" spending 150-250).

Can anyone help me in the right direction? I tried the Beats Studio by Dre and they sounded decent but my ears BARELY fit in them; i'm worried over an extended session it will be an issue.  I have been unable to actually test several of the other sets I'm looking at (didnt see them on display at best buy; not sure where "the" place to try them out would be).

In particular, I have been considering...

AKG K271
Denon AHD-2000 or AHD-5000
BeyerDynamic DT770 32ohm
Audiotechnica ATH-50M

they all ride ~$200 price point which is fair and good. I am WILLING to spend more but it seems that cans in the higher price points are too specified and require a good outside system to run so running them straight off my pc (currently with ONBOARD audio + realtek drivers....looking to change that if it makes that big of a difference as well).

I am having overall difficuty finding good information on what cans are good for PC use.  Note: I have looked into "gaming" headsets (esp ones with mics attached) and while i would prefer a mic I find that the audio quality on them all is just...crap. At this point I am pretty set on getting a separate desktop mic.

Thanks for the help!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back