Closed over ear headphones for work / walking / light movement / studying / sedimentary
Aug 18, 2010 at 6:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

turboxtofu44

New Head-Fier
Hi guys, been lurking for a while and man there's so much good info on here. So I've decided that I want to make the switch from in ear to a good set of closed over-ear headphones. I've been reading up on the most popular choices but still can't narrow it down so any feedback is appreciated. Here's some of the qualities/characteristics that I used to decide:

-Usage: I work in a research lab so I walk around quite a lot and will be using them at work here half the time. I've never had a full size headphone before so I'm not sure what size will be best for these situations. The other half of the time I'll be listening to them while doing reading/desk work.

-I'll be using these almost exclusively with my ipod touch, Droid X, or laptop, so I'll need something that works well without an amp.

-Size: based on my usage, I think I want something decently portable, but again, I've never had much experience with this so any advice is appreciated!

-Sound: music wise, I listen to pretty much every genre (changes every few months), but usually like a bit more bass. I don't need to be drowned in bass though.

-Another pretty important part is sound isolation. I would really prefer a set of cans that will block out as much sound as possible so I don't have to crank the volume. I dont think I need noise canceling as I don't do much travelling, but good passive noise canceling is important.

-Lastly, this is a little dumb and probably the least important... but I'd prefer something that won't mess up my hair as much........ haha... flame suit on.

What I've been looking at:

Audio Technica ATH-A700: these seem to have the perfect combination of features that I want except everyone says they're humungous and absolutely not portable...

Audio Technica M50: not sure about the size, heard sound quality is amazing, might need amp?

Audio Technica ANC7B: seem like a comfortable and portable set of cans that do a good job at filtering out noise. Not sure I need the noise canceling and haven't heard as much about them.

Sennheiser HD280 pro: sound quality is amazing, but what about size, portability, and driving from an ipod?

AKG K-271: I forgot why this was on my list... 

Price wise I'm trying to stay at $150 or below.

Please let me know any feedback/suggestions/advice. Thanks again in advance!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back