Closed headphones
Jan 20, 2011 at 10:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

antifreeze

New Head-Fier
Hi,

I'm going to buy new headphones, and I couldn't decide. I need your help.

- I will be using the headphones only to listen to music on my computer, and nothing else

- I mainly listen to rock and metal, also jazz

- Noise reduction is extremely important. So the headphones are going to have to be closed. Minimum sound leakage is acceptable, but it would be awesome if there was no leakage.

- My budget is around 100€ (~135$)

When I take into account all of this, Sennheiser HD448 seems like a plausible option. But perhaps some of you would recommend something better?

I must stress, again, that noise reduction is extremely important to me, since I work in a crowded environment.

Thanks.

Jan 20, 2011 at 12:44 PM Post #3 of 18
I've enjoyed the Senn HD25s. Nice and clear with fairly fast imaging.
Great for DJing too.

I think Mike from Headfonia.com did a "closed cans shootout".
That'll be worth a read.

Jan 20, 2011 at 2:58 PM Post #4 of 18
@desktophifi

thanks. I don't know why, but it seems the Q40's are a little more expensive in Europe than in the US. For now, it is a little over my budget.

@greyarea

thanks to you too. I found the article you mentioned, and it was really helpful. I think the HD-25 is starting to grow on me.

Jan 20, 2011 at 3:26 PM Post #5 of 18
Well, whatever you do, come tell us about how you get on.

If you want even more to read, you might be interested in the latest posts on this thread:
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/529144/buying-headphones-seeking-guidance-don-t-start-a-new-thread-ask-for-advice-here/975#post_7216348

There's another guy in a similar position to you.

Jan 20, 2011 at 5:12 PM Post #7 of 18
Since no one has yet to throw out the most obvious and recommended choice here on Head-Fi, I'll go ahead and suggest the Audio-Technica M50s.  For 100 USD, they sound great and offer incredible noise isolation.

Jan 20, 2011 at 7:59 PM Post #9 of 18
No love for the Shure SRH440? An underrated headphone, IMO, and if the link in my signature doesn't give it away, one that I'm quite happy with. It's not the last word in bass extension or quantity, but the 440 has an overall punchy, neutral, and agile sound. Its bigger sibling, the SRH840, is warmer and more laid back. It's also more expensive, but deals sometimes pop up. The 440 is usually around $99 here in the US, and I've seen it as low as $80.

Jan 20, 2011 at 8:04 PM Post #10 of 18
I'll give the Senn HD 448 a little love here for $100

My thoughts:
http://www.head-fi.org/products/sennheiser-hd448-around-the-ear-headphones/reviews#4486

Jan 20, 2011 at 8:18 PM Post #11 of 18

Quote:
Hi,

I'm going to buy new headphones, and I couldn't decide. I need your help.

- I will be using the headphones only to listen to music on my computer, and nothing else

- I mainly listen to rock and metal, also jazz

- Noise reduction is extremely important. So the headphones are going to have to be closed. Minimum sound leakage is acceptable, but it would be awesome if there was no leakage.

- My budget is around 100€ (~135$)

When I take into account all of this, Sennheiser HD448 seems like a plausible option. But perhaps some of you would recommend something better?

I must stress, again, that noise reduction is extremely important to me, since I work in a crowded environment.

Thanks.

I tested out a bunch of closed headphones and found that in terms of sound isolation,  K271 > SRH840 > DT770-80 > DT250-250 > D5000.  And in terms of sound quality without amplification, D5000 > SRH840 > DT250-250 > DT770-80 > K271.  So from my limited experience, SRH840 is the clear winner for your needs.

Jan 21, 2011 at 7:41 AM Post #12 of 18
Thanks to everyone for the recommendations. Man, making a decision is going to be harder than I thought. I was initially warming up to the idea of buying the HD25's, but I realized that they are supraaural. I checked them out at the local store, they were fine, but I don't know if they will cause me discomfort if I wear them for long.

The M50's are also a little expensive here. In fact, they cost as much as the SRH840's. So if I decide to break the bank, and if I'm stuck between these two, I should go for the SRH840, right?

Jan 21, 2011 at 8:02 AM Post #13 of 18

Quote:
No love for the Shure SRH440? An underrated headphone, IMO, and if the link in my signature doesn't give it away, one that I'm quite happy with. It's not the last word in bass extension or quantity, but the 440 has an overall punchy, neutral, and agile sound. Its bigger sibling, the SRH840, is warmer and more laid back. It's also more expensive, but deals sometimes pop up. The 440 is usually around $99 here in the US, and I've seen it as low as $80.

The SRH440 are a bit too neutral for our dear OP's taste, I suppose. The SRH840 might be more appropriate.

Jan 21, 2011 at 9:01 AM Post #14 of 18

Quote:
The M50's are also a little expensive here. In fact, they cost as much as the SRH840's. So if I decide to break the bank, and if I'm stuck between these two, I should go for the SRH840, right?

Can't help you on that one- haven't tried the M50 and people really love both those headphones.  Since both are so popular (and everybody here is afflicted with upgradeitis) , they show up in the fs forum pretty regularly, for ~$100 which is very little for a lot of headphone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back