Closed headphones for the large eared?
Oct 24, 2013 at 8:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

KraftD1

100+ Head-Fier
Looking for some recommendations of closed cans with good isolation for those with larger ears (and <$300). Don't have the option to easily demo headphones where I am. Looking for something to use commuting and for studying. Looking for a good all-arounder, and like I mentioned good isolation.

Oct 24, 2013 at 9:17 PM Post #2 of 8
AKGs 550 have pretty huge earpads, closed, good sound.  Do you have huge ears meaning height-width or do you mean they stick out a lot?  Hard to tell from your small picture...  I think the Beyerdynamics 660 is also closed, have you tried any Beyers?

Oct 24, 2013 at 9:40 PM Post #3 of 8
Beyer has pretty big cup. I have also larger than normal ears :) DT770 suit me perfectly.

Oct 25, 2013 at 2:39 AM Post #4 of 8
The best isolation I've heard from full sized cans are the Senn HD280/HD380 and Beyer DT770. You can get gel pads for the Beyers which ups their isolation even more.

The Senns are obviously a lot more portable and easier to drive, though they clamp quite hard and sound a bit muffly. The AKG K550 is decent, but is weaker in isolation to the others.

Oct 25, 2013 at 4:35 AM Post #5 of 8
  The best isolation I've heard from full sized cans are the Senn HD280/HD380 and Beyer DT770. You can get gel pads for the Beyers which ups their isolation even more.

The Senns are obviously a lot more portable and easier to drive, though they clamp quite hard and sound a bit muffly. The AKG K550 is decent, but is weaker in isolation to the others.

He's not asking for isolation. He is asking for big ear cup. Your answer totally divert from the real issue.

Oct 25, 2013 at 9:43 AM Post #7 of 8
Thanks everyone.

They stick out decently (Beyer T70s - the edge of my ear touched the dust cover) and are rather large too. Not sure it helps, but with standard grado pads the tip and bottom of my ears go beyond the pad.

Armaegis has seen my ears in person, so I think he's including size in those recommendations.

Oct 25, 2013 at 1:42 PM Post #8 of 8
  He's not asking for isolation. He is asking for big ear cup. Your answer totally divert from the real issue.

This was his original post...

Looking for some recommendations of closed cans with good isolation for those with larger ears (and <$300). Don't have the option to easily demo headphones where I am. Looking for something to use commuting and for studying. Looking for a good all-arounder, and like I mentioned good isolation.

... my recommendations covered his criteria for size, isolation, and portability.

IMHO, Audio-Technica ATH-ANC7 has really large cups. I once tried these and they tend to fell off from my head. Also have thumping bass and amazing highs.

I used to have that one. I would say they're average sized at best. Really nice sound for an ANC headphone though, and there's often sales on them. The Bose QC15 beats it for noise cancellation and comfort (still not the biggest cups though), but loses out in sound quality.

Senn has an ANC model based on the HD380 chassis though I forget the model name. Kinda weird sound and weird ANC (works well, but has a bit of buzzing). It has the best passive isolation of the three.

Thanks everyone.

They stick out decently (Beyer T70s - the edge of my ear touched the dust cover) and are rather large too. Not sure it helps, but with standard grado pads the tip and bottom of my ears go beyond the pad.

Armaegis has seen my ears in person, so I think he's including size in those recommendations.

I recommended especially the HD380 especially since it has oval pads, which may fit your ears better than the round ones. A lot of ears will touch the pads regardless (even mine do and they're a lot smaller than yours), so shape may be a better factor to examine. Depth as well, though in a lot of headphones that's easily improved by putting some padding under the pad.

Did you ever try my HE-6 with the J$ pads when you were in town?

The Mad Dog with alpha pads may be an option. I haven't heard that one specifically, but you know my experience with modding the Fostex headphones, and the alpha pads look quite generously deep. It's not the most portable headphone out there, but durable at least.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back