Closed headphones for metal and playing guitar
Sep 12, 2011 at 3:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Kalsten

Head-Fier
Hi

Although this is my first message, I have reading post and post everyday since a few weeks. I never expected to find a forum so full of knowledge about headphones. I though it would be easy, but I got a bit overwhelming and I think that I am a bit lost now :p

I have a pair of AKG K-55 that make me cry. Frankly, they sound horrible to play music, watching movies or playing the guitar. At least they were cheap :p Therefore, I want to buy a good headphones.

The main use for them would be to listen metal music (death, thrash, brutal death, heavy metal, power, progressive...everything except nu and gothic).

The second main use is for playing/recording guitar. I have attached to my Macbook a Line 6 UX-1 soundcard, that I use sometimes as "amplifier" to play the guitar through it using VTS/AU plugins.

The thing is that I need a close headphones to listen to music and play guitar. I know that the main advice would be Grado/Alexxandros, but the thing is that I need no leakage, as I share my desktop with my girlfriend, and I prefer not to disturb her with my "ugly music" as she called it haha.

My budget would be around 100 € (~140 $). As I live in Denmark, I would prefer options I can get in Amazon.co.uk or european shops. I would like second hand, but the thing is that most of the stuff I have seen in this forum is or too expensive, or only availiable to US. I have checked in Ebay also, but until I can narrow the headphones to 2 - 3 models I don't know what to look for.

PD: I don't know if connecting the headphones to my soundcard it is considered amp or unamp.

Thanks in advance. I have not put this post into the monstorous ask topic because I think it would be kind of messy with all the unanswered question already on it.

Sep 12, 2011 at 4:08 PM Post #2 of 4
Hey op, 
welcome to headfi. 

Based on what you like, the HD 25-I II are the headphones that you need. They do pretty well on rock, metal and fast paced music. There's no leakage, isolation is pretty good. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back