Closed cans heavy in the bass
Oct 30, 2012 at 1:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

jesse111

New Head-Fier
Budget up to 1k. Need closed over the ear cans in the 32 ohm range. Yes, I like good full bodied bass. I listen to Metal, Rock, Down tempo electronic ( Tosca, Ten Maddison). Been reading reviews for weeks and have considered these in no particular order...

Beyerdynamics Custom One Pro, T70P and the T5p

Ultrasone Pro 900S

Denon AH-D7100 and D600

I'd love to try the HD 800 but open won't work for my environment.

My home system was Magnepan 20.1 biamped with 4 McInstosh 501 mono's with the Pass Labs XVR1 electronic XO. So as you can imagine, I'm a soundstage and imaging freak. And yes, I had two JL Dual 12" gotham subs.

I know you can't have it all and certainly don't expect matching performance by any means, but looking for advice and experience for a warm mid/high with solid bass performance such as I appreciated so much with the Mac/Maggie system that I had. Thanks.

Oct 30, 2012 at 1:46 PM Post #3 of 16
Denon D5000 (if you can find them now) and Pro 900 works well with the genres you listed. I imagine Sig Pro and D7000 would be great as well, although the Sig Pro are more refined and neutral sounding than the Pro 900.

Oct 30, 2012 at 2:19 PM Post #6 of 16
Quote:
Heya,

Ultrasone Sig PRO
Mr Speakers Mad Dogs (modded T50RP) with Stax Pads
Denon D7000 & D7100

Very best,

wink_face.gif

Nov 1, 2012 at 4:33 AM Post #7 of 16
I just received the Denon d600 and the Ultrasone Pro 900 today for a test drive. I'll post my initial thoughts a bit later today as I compare the two. Great price range and perhaps one will suite me. If not, I'll move up the food chain a bit. Stay tuned.

Nov 1, 2012 at 2:32 PM Post #8 of 16
Ok here it is. As I sit here and A/B the Pro 900 and the d600 it is quite easy to hear stark differences. The d600 is far more engaging than the Pro 900. The 900 excels in just one area, it has a certain way of delivering bass that is punchy, accurate and addictive. Other than that the Denon simply demolishes the Ultrasone in musicality, presence, midrange and highs - especially the mids. That's not to say the Denon lacks bass. It just doesn't have as much and doesn't have that special X-factor that the Ultrasone has in that regard.

As I listened to the Pro 900 the whole delivery of the music was a bit thin, lacking body and weight. Voice and most mids were small with a rather tiny image. The highs were very smooth without the slightest hint of harshness. Very listenable headphone. But with the Pro 900 I was continually reminded that I was listening to music through headphones.

As I listened to the Denon d600 I felt much more engaged with the music and less aware of the pesky distraction of the small headphone stage of the Pro 900. Voice image was larger and more real. Mids smooth completely non fatiguing. Highs perhaps slightly subdued but this makes for a more listenable delivery for me. Very nice detail yet forgiving with less than perfect recordings.

In my humble opinion, the Denon d600 is a far superior set of cans. The long cable is a nice feature as well. Unfortunately I have a narrow shaped skull and while I find them very comfortable, even on the tightest setting they just barely fit my head feeling just slightly loose.

So now I'd really appreciate further feedback from you headphiles please.

The presentation of the Denon d600 has the warm full bodied musical delivery I want. Can you recommend something that has a similar presentation but also has the sweet bass punch and accuracy of the Ultrasone Pro 900? If I can find that headphone I believe I will have reached my goal.

Thank you folks for the help.

Nov 1, 2012 at 2:35 PM Post #9 of 16
Quote:
Heya,

Ultrasone Sig PRO
Mr Speakers Mad Dogs (modded T50RP) with Stax Pads
Denon D7000 & D7100

Very best,

I did not try any of these but hopefully now that I've refined my taste and desire with a few auditions, would you still suggest these three or perhaps something else?

I think what I'm looking for is this. The Denon d600 really had the "analog Macintosh" warmth and a musically engaging experience that I'm used to with my old home audio system. I suppose if I could find that "Denon/Macintosh like" warmth and emotionally engaging deliver with a slightly more punchy bass I'd have the holy grail for myself. Thanks friend.

Nov 1, 2012 at 3:07 PM Post #10 of 16
I just want to point out that Ultrasones with S-Logic are VERY picky about placement on the head. It took me two years of owning Pro 750's before I discovered that if I move them forward until the rear of the pad actually became supra-aural (i.e. resting on top of the back of my ear) did they sound more full-bodied and real. Before then I had the same feeling as you: thin, artificial sound. After I learned this fact, I tried the Pro 900's - and while I still prefer Denon D2/5000's - I remember thinking "I could be happy with these are my main headphone." Maybe give them another chance.

That said, even after finding the correct position, S-Logic still isn't for everyone. It does make them great for FPS gaming, but it can make music have an odd presentation. 

Nov 1, 2012 at 3:29 PM Post #11 of 16
Quote:
I just want to point out that Ultrasones with S-Logic are VERY picky about placement on the head. It took me two years of owning Pro 750's before I discovered that if I move them forward until the rear of the pad actually became supra-aural (i.e. resting on top of the back of my ear) did they sound more full-bodied and real. Before then I had the same feeling as you: thin, artificial sound. After I learned this fact, I tried the Pro 900's - and while I still prefer Denon D2/5000's - I remember thinking "I could be happy with these are my main headphone." Maybe give them another chance.

That said, even after finding the correct position, S-Logic still isn't for everyone. It does make them great for FPS gaming, but it can make music have an odd presentation. 

I have them on my head right now and you're right. It makes a huge difference. However, when placed of axis I loose a significant amount of mids. Putting them back on my head I must reiterate that the bass to me is truly nicely done by Ultrasone. Accurate, punchy and engaging. But overall lacks the emotion of the Denons IMHO.

Nov 1, 2012 at 3:41 PM Post #12 of 16
Quote:
I have them on my head right now and you're right. It makes a huge difference. However, when placed of axis I loose a significant amount of mids. Putting them back on my head I must reiterate that the bass to me is truly nicely done by Ultrasone. Accurate, punchy and engaging. But overall lacks the emotion of the Denons IMHO.

I totally agree, I just wanted to make sure it didn't take you as long as it took me to learn. 
L3000.gif
 Good luck to you bru!

Nov 1, 2012 at 3:54 PM Post #13 of 16
I'll tell you what. I've been sitting here with these Denon d600's on my head and find myself tapping my foot while reading and becoming more and more engaged with the music even forgetting I have a pair of cans on my head. I'm beginning to think Denon has the signature sound for me. I'm starting to get goose bumps. Perhaps a few minutes break in has helped. My head feels immersed in the music. Hearing intricate detail and a soundstage that seems to be growing in size.

The d7100 has an additional 2db of sensitivity over the 600. Is that the only difference in specs? Has anyone had a chance to compare them?

Nov 1, 2012 at 6:21 PM Post #14 of 16
As I continue comparing I find additional observations. While listening to Tony Joe White & Shelby Lynne singing Can't Go Back Home of the Heroins Album, Miss Lynne sounds like she's expanded and singing in my face right in front of me with the d600. The same track with the Pro 900 is more detailed in an elegant sense. Perhaps more accurate in some ways.

After one day of comparison I would conclude my description something like this.

Denon d600 a musical performance lovers speaker.

Ultrasone Pro 900 might be for those who prefer a more musically detailed and accurate presentation at the expense of some soundstage expanse and larger imaging. By no means clinical. Just less emotional than the Denon to me.

Both good cans.

Nov 2, 2012 at 9:06 AM Post #15 of 16
Your description of Pro 900 & D600 is pretty much exactly how I experience Pro 900 & D5000. Pro 900 really do take some time to grow into. With D5000 I loved them straight away. With Pro 900 I liked them at first but after much more listening I liked them a lot more, in some ways more than D5000.
Good luck with your choice, you can't go wrong with Denon IMO. :darthsmile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back