closed bassy w/ good overall tonal balance for Metal?
Sep 22, 2011 at 9:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

bigheadhifi

100+ Head-Fier
I'm in the market for a pair of headphone that will be suitable for rock or metal music... I need a bassy one, but I dont want the bass to be overpowering the whole freq spectrum either, my budget is <$200.. what would you guys recommend

it can be a supra/circum but most importantly it has to be a closed back headphone..

other than hd25 1-II if I may ask.. thanks guys

Sep 23, 2011 at 12:51 AM Post #2 of 13
Ultrasone 580? Kicked my M50 to the curb with my eg, Metallica, Megadeth, Iron Maiden
collection.

Decent passive isolation and solidly built to boot. Reasonably priced.

Sound signature is fairly warm too so it will have no trouble in smoothing
out badly mastered metal recordings.

Sep 23, 2011 at 5:34 AM Post #4 of 13

Quote:
Heya,

Beyer Dynamic DT700 PRO
Ultrasone HFI 580

Very best,

Quote:
Ultrasone 580? Kicked my M50 to the curb with my eg, Metallica, Megadeth, Iron Maiden
collection.

Decent passive isolation and solidly built to boot. Reasonably priced.

Sound signature is fairly warm too so it will have no trouble in smoothing
out badly mastered metal recordings.

hfi580? I own a hfi680, does the 580 has a significantly more bass punch than the 680 and does it have the ultrasone recessed mids kind of sound? cause the 680 is kind of lacking in bass punch and thickness in the mids...

how about srh750dj from shure, I heard some good things about them, but never really able to find a review about it being used for metal music..

or denon ah-d2000 perhaps? how about it?

Sep 23, 2011 at 9:57 AM Post #7 of 13
AIAIAI TMA-1 may be another good option.

Sep 23, 2011 at 10:20 AM Post #9 of 13

Quote:
Heya,

Beyer Dynamic DT700 PRO
Ultrasone HFI 580

Very best,

I too enjoy listening to some metal on the DT770 Pro. Plenty enough bass.

I actually prefer most metal on the Grado SR80 or Senn HD 650 but those are both open & don't fit your criteria.

Sep 23, 2011 at 10:50 AM Post #10 of 13

Quote:
AIAIAI TMA-1 may be another good option.

hmmm this one is kind of interesting.. does the mids and the highs articulates enough fo rock or metal? I'm looking for bassy headphone but i dont want it to be too dull like the px100 from sennheiser wich I found out to be too dark

Quote:
Ultrasone HFI-580's is a safe bet. 

hmmm seems like the hfi580 get the highest vote here.. but I kind of doubtful about the mid freq of ultrasones, my hfi680 sounds kind of hollow and artificial in the mids.. which I found out to be the signature sound of the ultrasone if im not mistaken..

any other recommendations? how about srh750dj or denon d2000?

or how about ath es7?

Sep 23, 2011 at 11:08 AM Post #11 of 13
They are said to be on the darker side compared to a lot of other headphones, but the treble is still present, extended, and very detailed. They are just about as dark as the HD650's. Mids are forward, but not to forward. Forward, but smooth, not peaky. Bass is amazing, it's punchy, tight, deep. I listen to mostly progressive rock and metal, stuff like Dream Theater, Opeth, Porcupine Tree, Rush and so on. i couldn't be happier with them.

Quote:
hmmm this one is kind of interesting.. does the mids and the highs articulates enough fo rock or metal? I'm looking for bassy headphone but i dont want it to be too dull like the px100 from sennheiser wich I found out to be too dark

Sep 23, 2011 at 1:37 PM Post #12 of 13

Quote:
but I kind of doubtful about the mid freq of ultrasones, my hfi680 sounds kind of hollow and artificial in the mids.. which I found out to be the signature sound of the ultrasone if im not mistaken..  

Try the Ultrasone 780's. 
The Denons sound signature for metal is a bit boomy for my taste. 

Sep 23, 2011 at 2:09 PM Post #13 of 13
Heya,

You've mentioned the SRH750 DJ twice now, so I take it you're interested in that headphone. It's a heavily bassy headphone with recessed mids & rolled off highs. Metal isn't the first thing that comes to my mind, but then again, everyone listens to different music in different ways. Maybe you like metal to be more of a bassy experience from blast beats and bass guitar with the screaming guitars and various types of vocals being simmered down? That's what the SRH750 DJ would be. The Denon 2000 would give everything at a flat presentation. This is good. They would be great for your genre, and any genre, it's just they're not $200 typically. They usually go for $350, and sometimes a sale happens, or used crops up. A used set will run around that though. I recommend the D2000 over nearly any closed headphone if you can get it for $200.

Very best,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back