CLOSED BACK headphones with VELOUR pads. List 'em!
Sep 13, 2012 at 12:27 AM Post #47 of 65
Quote:

no different earcup sizes

oh, ok :frowning2: that's too bad.
I think after using my brighter sounding headphones for longer, I'd like something warmer.
a bit fatiguing with treble heavy ones even if that is my preference.

do I have any options whatsoever here?
bass light but still warm, would be ideal.

thanks!

Sep 13, 2012 at 12:57 AM Post #48 of 65
Quote:
abumpabump - sennheisers closed series, the HD448 with HD555 pads? would this work?
I haven't actually heard these but just theorizing.

no, the 555/8 pads are far to large. BUT the 438/9 have velour and you can buy velour replacement pads.

Sep 13, 2012 at 3:54 AM Post #49 of 65
Quote:
no, the 555/8 pads are far to large. BUT the 438/9 have velour and you can buy velour replacement pads.

this is very interesting.
any idea if they sound anything like the HD555/598? I remember those were quite good although maybe a bit too tame treble for me at that time... but I might be wanting something warmer now, as a complement to my really bright phones.
I do fear they might not be "refined" enough though, as I even found the HD650 to lack a bit of that refinement.

thanks a lot!! 
smile.gif

Sep 13, 2012 at 4:07 AM Post #50 of 65
Quote:
this is very interesting.
any idea if they sound anything like the HD555/598? I remember those were quite good although maybe a bit too tame treble for me at that time... but I might be wanting something warmer now, as a complement to my really bright phones.
I do fear they might not be "refined" enough though, as I even found the HD650 to lack a bit of that refinement.

thanks a lot!! 
smile.gif

the 448 were my first "audiophile headphone". They are REALLY warm, but good; a nice and relaxing dark little corner of low-fi. They are built fairly well too.As for refined....thats just not a sennheiser trait IMO. on the 555 which I have as well they are still really "loose".

Sep 13, 2012 at 4:37 AM Post #51 of 65
The Sennheiser HD 439 are closed back headphones with velour-like earpads. Their MSRP is 99 USD but they can be found for much less if you shop around. I haven't tried them extensively, but I did a quick listen. They are comfortable, not too hot, and sound ok, although the bass is surprisingly light for a closed sennheiser.

Sep 13, 2012 at 5:40 AM Post #52 of 65
My HFI780 are velour padded :)

Sep 13, 2012 at 8:02 AM Post #54 of 65
Quote:

What? How?
Please enlighten me on how you did it.
I kinda hate the leather on my HFI-780.
Velours are just way more comfy.

At some point in time the 780 were FOTM here with a huge ammount of modding into them and the velours are just a bit of the treatment.
Check this thread http://www.head-fi.org/t/420797/at-esw10jpn-and-ultrasone-hfi-780-briefly-compared-modding-notes-on-the-hfi-780s/15
Also cheek Kees Mod and ALO mod for the whole picture.

The velours are DT250s btw.

Sep 13, 2012 at 3:41 PM Post #55 of 65
Quote:
the 448 were my first "audiophile headphone". They are REALLY warm, but good; a nice and relaxing dark little corner of low-fi. They are built fairly well too.As for refined....thats just not a sennheiser trait IMO. on the 555 which I have as well they are still really "loose".

hmm... 
redface.gif
 I just remembered that I've tried the 448, looking at pictures of them. indeed a bit too warm and dark. sennheiser below HD800 might not be my thing...
so, the search continues!

thanks a lot.

Sep 18, 2012 at 3:51 PM Post #59 of 65
http://www.head-fi.org/t/591325/how-to-hi-end-ify-your-srh940

This is a mod which is said to improve the bass a lot in the SRH940, so it might be a great closed can for you after it's modded. Hope this helps.

Sep 18, 2012 at 5:01 PM Post #60 of 65
Quote:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/591325/how-to-hi-end-ify-your-srh940

This is a mod which is said to improve the bass a lot in the SRH940, so it might be a great closed can for you after it's modded. Hope this helps.

I find the bass amount to be good on the unmodded pair (I am not a basshead!) but the comfort was a bit of an issue for me 
frown.gif

which is a shame because they even have detachable cable *AND* velour pads as stock. plus they sound pretty good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back