CLOSED BACK headphones with VELOUR pads. List 'em!
Aug 29, 2011 at 9:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 65

MalVeauX

Headphoneus Supremus
Heya,

For clarity: CLOSED BACK HEADPHONES ONLY.

I need some help here. I'm trying to find a new portable headphone that really suits me. But my criteria are problematic. The biggest one, is that I want velour pads. I don't mind if that means modding a headphone to have velour pads, however, it's obvious that in doing so, it changes that particular headphone's sound drastically. So I'm looking for headphones, primarily, that are already stock with velour pads to avoid that. Sound signature wise, I'd love to find something with forward mids, good full bass (not bass lite), and smooth highs (no sibilance). The idea is something that can handle nearly all genres without feeling anemic (ie, going from acoustic to EDM, and not feeling like the headphone is not capable). It does not have to swivel at all. I don't mind it being a full size desktop set. Prefer 250ohm or less for portability.

Headphones I've tried with velour pads that are closed:

Shure SRH940 - Insanely good mids and highs with no sibilance, comfortable, but bass was not where I wanted it for all genres.
BeyerDynamic DT770 PRO - Very bright, huge bass, otherwise recessed mids. Comfortable. Not enough mids for all genres.
Ultrasone PRO 900 - Forward highs, recessed mids, monstrous bass. Comfortable. Too much bass for all genres. Not enough mids for all genres.

Of the construction, I liked the headband and cups of the Beyer the most. It hugs your head. Great for a sleek, classy look while walking around.

So I'm looking to try others. I look around, found some AKG's, but looks like their bass went down south for a vacation. Need more suggestions. I thought about simply trying the DT770 Premium 250ohm. But a lot of review puts it on being sibilant with weak mids. That's just disheartening. But I may try it regardless.

I'm thinking of simply getting the SRH940 and a Digizoid ZO (revision 2 next month) again for this purpose. Would love to know if someone has tested the ZO with a SRH940 or even a K701 (simply because it's similar) to see if it really did bring forward some bass without killing the sound of the headphone. I'm also thinking of simply getting the DT770 Premium 250ohm, but very hesitant on that due to mids issue and sibilance.

So recommend away. Again, primarily prefer stock velour pads. Willing to check out something with velour pads added to it (like KNS 6400 or 8400 with velour pads? Anyone tried that?).

Very best,

Aug 29, 2011 at 9:40 PM Post #4 of 65

Quote:
Sennheiser HD598.  Velour pads with great mids, relatively smooth highs, and the bass is decent enough.

Closed headphones. It was the first word of the title, after all.

biggrin.gif

Very best,

Aug 29, 2011 at 10:12 PM Post #6 of 65
I know you're an Ultrasone man. Do the 900 Pro pads fit on the 580s? Wouldn't that drop your bass a bit and still keep your mids and high you like from the 900s? Maybe the sound quality drop is too steep, or maybe the pads don't fit. Just a thought.

Aug 29, 2011 at 10:23 PM Post #7 of 65
Heya,,

Quote:
I have a pair of Sony MDR-V6 with Beyer velour replacement ear pads. 

How did it change the sound?

Quote:
I know you're an Ultrasone man. Do the 900 Pro pads fit on the 580s? Wouldn't that drop your bass a bit and still keep your mids and high you like from the 900s? Maybe the sound quality drop is too steep, or maybe the pads don't fit. Just a thought.

Unfortunately, PRO pads are circles with a sprocket, and the HFI pads are ellipses. The backing of the PRO is a hard plastic sprocket that won't just slide into a non-circular shape. Mechanism of attachment is also different.

Very best,

Aug 29, 2011 at 10:29 PM Post #8 of 65
How about the Shure 940 with the baka bass mod? You don't have to use plumbers putty, I imagine anything that adds significant mass like plasticine or any non-drying clay should do the trick. And if that doesn't work out you can get the ZO like you said.

Seems to be one of your favorite headphones, and it doesn't seem like you'll be able to get such good mids and treble without spending a lot more. Seems a lot less iffy than putting velour pads on something not designed for it at least. It didn't work out too well when I tried it with the srh840 at least.

Aug 29, 2011 at 10:35 PM Post #9 of 65

Quote:
How about the Shure 940 with the baka bass mod? You don't have to use plumbers putty, I imagine anything that adds significant mass like plasticine or any non-drying clay should do the trick. And if that doesn't work out you can get the ZO like you said.

Seems to be one of your favorite headphones, and it doesn't seem like you'll be able to get such good mids and treble without spending a lot more. Seems a lot less iffy than putting velour pads on something not designed for it at least. It didn't work out too well when I tried it with the srh840 at least.

Heya,

How did your 840's change when you went velour on them?

Very best,

Aug 29, 2011 at 10:49 PM Post #10 of 65
Beyer DT250 80ohms.

Designed for velour pads.  Efficient enough to be driven by portable source. Reasonably balanced sound.

Quoting Marcus from Headphonic.
"It features a single-sided, coiled, detatchable cable, good isolation, excellent durability and a very enjoyable sound.
One of the most well rounded sounding headphones around with good quality bass, smooth midrange and slightly pulled back treble (to reduce listening fatigue)."

Aug 30, 2011 at 12:27 AM Post #11 of 65

Quote:
Beyer DT250 80ohms.

Designed for velour pads.  Efficient enough to be driven by portable source. Reasonably balanced sound.

Quoting Marcus from Headphonic.
"It features a single-sided, coiled, detatchable cable, good isolation, excellent durability and a very enjoyable sound.
One of the most well rounded sounding headphones around with good quality bass, smooth midrange and slightly pulled back treble (to reduce listening fatigue)."

Heya,

Ever listened to them? How's the bass in real world?

Edit: And I just realized, why have I not thought about the Beyer T70p?? Time to fine a retailer.
Edit: Crap, when are they released. These are the headphones for my portable needs.

Very best,

Aug 30, 2011 at 1:20 AM Post #13 of 65

Quote:
Quote:

It gave the sound some of that velour crispiness, but it dug a pretty clumsy sounding hole in the bass.

I actually have some DT250s on the way that I got for cheap, I'll let you know if they're what you're looking for.

Thanks, I look forward to hearing more about the DT250's. We'll see if I can hold off just getting a T70P. Hah.

Very best,

Aug 30, 2011 at 1:28 AM Post #14 of 65
not full sized but are comfortable as all get out the sennheiser HD24 1-II's.

Aug 30, 2011 at 1:40 AM Post #15 of 65
I have the v6 with pearstone velours, which did not change the sound IMO

Users who are viewing this thread

Back