Classical Music Listener: Please Help Me Find a Pair of Cans.
Mar 23, 2013 at 8:23 AM Post #17 of 67
Quote:
How do IEMs compare with similar priced cans in terms of audio quality?

The strong advantage of IEMs is isolation, you feel like you're in a music room of your own. They are also easier to drive and don't require an expensive set up to sound their best. Personally I like their smooth, extended treble, their accuracy, and non fatiguing sound signature. The K701 and DT880 are impressive, but I found them fatiguing and hard to drive. They provide tons of details and a wide soundstage but I feel that the ER 4S smoother treble and excellent imaging more to my taste. 

Mar 23, 2013 at 8:51 AM Post #18 of 67
Quote:
Dear Head-Fi Community,

I would really appreciate your help in finding me a pair of cans that are geared towards classical music (pretty much the only genre that I listen to).

I mostly enjoy strings, some trios/quartets, as well as a wide variety of symphonies.

My budget is limited to $200, and my two audio sources are an iPhone 4S and a mid-2012 MacBook Pro (both un-amped).

Audio files are either FLAC or 320kbps MP3s (for the idevice).

I primarily listen to music at home; thus, open cans are an option.

Here are some choices that I've been considering:

Grado SR60i

Audio-Technica ATH-M50

Audio Technica ATH-AD700 (I don't quite like the looks of these, but the audio quality seems to be good)

Alessandro MS1i

I'm willing to peruse eBay for used market stuff if something better can be had for the same amount of money.

Thank you very much for any and all advice!
smily_headphones1.gif

Not sure how they work un-amped, but a small number of AKG Q701 refurbs are going for between $175 and $200 on eBay through the Harman store.  I got a set, and love them, listening almost exclusively to classical and similar music styles.  Folks say they burn in even more smoothly over time.  If you can swing it, you may have a chance to grab an exquisite (essentially new and warrantied) set of cans for an amazing price.  While I am accustomed to listening to classical on reference-quality speakers with titanium tweeters, I generally deplore shrill sounds, and have yet to find the AKGs fatiguing.  I tend not to listen at extreme volumes on any of my systems.   

Mar 23, 2013 at 11:48 AM Post #19 of 67
Quote:

I had Senn 650s for 3 years and I've heard the 600, 565 etc, etc. I was always bothered a little by certain hardness in the 650, audible mostly on massed strings. When I bought the Beyer DT880 I wasn't expecting much--I've heard most of the mid-priced phones and been disappointed to varying degrees--but as soon as I put it on I knew it was a keeper--the sound just seemed so uncoloured, so neutral, so balanced. Really there's just nothing out of place with the 880 except for a treble peak from 5-8khz, which is easily reduced or even eliminated with EQ or just a common treble tone control. Fix that and it's hard to find a fault with them save that they have no particular "flavour", which bothers some people. Certainly they're not foward in the midrange at all, which causes some people to find them mid-recessed, but they're not really--the mids are all there, just not in your face. Ditto for the bass, which can surprise you when there's real bass in the recording. Really it's a pity the 880 has been around for so long as people tend to take it for granted, but it deserves better than that. It's certainly a worthy competitor to the 650, just not as full and luxurious sounding (but more accurate in my view).  

Thanks for your mini-comparison. Much obliged. Sorry for stealing the thread for a bit op :)

My new (to me) hd600's should be showing up any minute now. Ever listen to those pp? I like them more than the 650s. The beyers sound really up my alley, I will have to try to get a demo set one of these days and read some more comparisons on them vs the hd600, I'm sure there are a ton floating around.

Right now I'm listening to vintage joe grado sr100 with hp1000 drivers. These are so much different from modern grados, the sound signature being similar to something like the hd600 or properly modded fostex or beyer's (judging by your impressions). John should be hung by his toes for how much he/his drivers changed the sound. Don't pass up the chance to check out a pair of pinks or black star (hp1000 drivers), if you get a chance. I think I like the pinks the most. It is really amazing how much different and how proper these old grados sound, you beyer guys would approve of how they are tuned.

I'm so far off the topic, don't buy vintage grados OP, they are just neat and I wanted to rant about them because I'm excited to have a pair on my head :)

I'll be back in with some hd580 vs 600 comparisons shortly OP :)

Mar 23, 2013 at 12:04 PM Post #20 of 67
I would suggest the Beyerdynamic DT880 250 ohms too, really great for less complex classical and choral
Quote:
Definitely not the Grado - I have these and they're fine for other genres but way too brash. Forget the Audio Technica 700s - nice sound, but too forward and congested for classical.

Go used - way better value.

Beyerdynamic DT880 250 ohms (to make them relatively easy to drive)

AKG K701: unsurpassed imaging and clarity but can be a little hard in the upper mids. Needs current - Audio-GDs headphone amp/dacs are highly recommended.

Audio Technica ATH-AD900. These come up under $200 and are not that much more new. No amp problem here, though an amp will make them even better.

Happy hunting!

Mar 23, 2013 at 2:43 PM Post #22 of 67
Quote:
The strong advantage of IEMs is isolation, you feel like you're in a music room of your own. They are also easier to drive and don't require an expensive set up to sound their best. Personally I like their smooth, extended treble, their accuracy, and non fatiguing sound signature. The K701 and DT880 are impressive, but I found them fatiguing and hard to drive. They provide tons of details and a wide soundstage but I feel that the ER 4S smoother treble and excellent imaging more to my taste. 

How does the ER 4S compare to Ety's HF-5?

I have to admit that the K701 and DT880 are a little above my price range...

Mar 23, 2013 at 2:46 PM Post #23 of 67
Quote:
Thanks for your mini-comparison. Much obliged. Sorry for stealing the thread for a bit op :)

My new (to me) hd600's should be showing up any minute now. Ever listen to those pp? I like them more than the 650s. The beyers sound really up my alley, I will have to try to get a demo set one of these days and read some more comparisons on them vs the hd600, I'm sure there are a ton floating around.

Right now I'm listening to vintage joe grado sr100 with hp1000 drivers. These are so much different from modern grados, the sound signature being similar to something like the hd600 or properly modded fostex or beyer's (judging by your impressions). John should be hung by his toes for how much he/his drivers changed the sound. Don't pass up the chance to check out a pair of pinks or black star (hp1000 drivers), if you get a chance. I think I like the pinks the most. It is really amazing how much different and how proper these old grados sound, you beyer guys would approve of how they are tuned.

I'm so far off the topic, don't buy vintage grados OP, they are just neat and I wanted to rant about them because I'm excited to have a pair on my head :)

I'll be back in with some hd580 vs 600 comparisons shortly OP :)

Seems like those vintage Grados are awesome, eh? :)

Looking forward to your comparison of the senns 580 vs. 600!

Mar 23, 2013 at 6:34 PM Post #25 of 67
Quote:
My new (to me) hd600's should be showing up any minute now. Ever listen to those pp?

Now, Chris, you didn't read my first line: "I had Senn 650s for 3 years and I've heard the 600, 565 etc, etc."  Naughty boy!
tongue.gif

But seriously, I was never that impressed by them. They sounded even harder to me than the 650. However I'm reserving judgement on headphones I heard years ago. I heard the DT880 many years ago too and found them unbearably bright, yet this recent pair was only slightly bright, so either my tastes have changed, my ears have worn out (likely) or Beyer have modified their phones, a possibility that exists with all brands. I'd actually quite like to try a number of phones I rejected years ago, like the K701, to see if my impressions are different, but right now I'm too satisfied with the DT880.  

I should reiterate that all my impressions are with classical music. Results with other types of music may be completely different.

Mar 24, 2013 at 11:57 AM Post #30 of 67
http://www.head-fi.org/t/559542/i-truly-believe-these-are-one-of-the-best-classical-music-headphones-ive-ever-heard

Users who are viewing this thread

Back