Classical music discussion, what do you like?
Mar 2, 2021 at 1:59 PM Post #2,656 of 2,850
Mar 3, 2021 at 9:41 AM Post #2,657 of 2,850
A few more recent purchases from the thrift store.

Mozart: Violin Concertos Nos. 1-5
Itzhak Perlman (violin)
Wiener Philharmoniker, James Levine

Haydn: The Creation
(sung in German)
Sylvia McNair (soprano), Michael Schade (tenor), Gerald Finley (bass)
Monteverdi Choir, English Baroque Soloists, John Eliot Gardiner

Vivaldi: The Four Seasons
Anne-Sophie Mutter (violin)
Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra, Herbert von Karajan

Not bad for $.99 each.

Mar 3, 2021 at 8:00 PM Post #2,658 of 2,850
The Creation is good stuff. One of my "covid projects" has been to pay more attention to Haydn. I think there is a tendency to think of him as a kind of "baby Mozart" but the more I listen to his later symphonies, the string quartets and esp. the late masses I find he is a truly great composer. His music is beautifully made, but it is also complex and varied and, particularly in those three genres (symphony, string quartet and mass) every bit as magical as Mozart. JMO/YMMV of course.

Mar 3, 2021 at 8:05 PM Post #2,659 of 2,850
The Creation is good stuff. One of my "covid projects" has been to pay more attention to Haydn. I think there is a tendency to think of him as a kind of "baby Mozart" but the more I listen to his later symphonies, the string quartets and esp. the late masses I find he is a truly great composer. His music is beautifully made, but it is also complex and varied and, particularly in those three genres (symphony, string quartet and mass) every bit as magical as Mozart. JMO/YMMV of course.
Interesting. I about to say something sacrilegious. I usually enjoy Haydn's music more than I enjoy Mozart's. However, Mozart is starting to grow on me. I really enjoyed the Violin Concertos played by Perlman.

Mar 3, 2021 at 8:35 PM Post #2,660 of 2,850
There is nothing wrong that. Note however there are really two Mozarts, the early Mozart (of which the Violin Concertos are an excellent example) that is delightful, but in the final analysis, a little lightweight. Not that there is anything wrong with that, esp. if you are writing it as a teenager. It isn't until you past about K. 400 that you get mature Mozart, and that is some of the most profound and subtle music ever written. Mozart was at his best writing opera (which is not my favorite thing, by a long shot) and concertos. His last dozen or so piano concertos are remarkable. His Clarinet Concerto (full disclosure, I'm a recovering clarinet player) which is one of the very last pieces he finished, is perhaps even more remarkable. But these take a little time and effort to fully digest. I'm glad I have plenty of both Haydn and Mozart on my shelves.

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2021 at 9:32 PM Post #2,661 of 2,850
I have an excellent recording of the clarinet quintet with Karl Leister and a the Berlin Soloists which I enjoy.

Mar 6, 2021 at 8:10 PM Post #2,662 of 2,850
Haydn pioneered the string quartet. Went overkill on the symphonies (TG for Beethoven and Mahler....).
But generally, Haydn's stellar rep was cemented in his own lifetime, and he was revered by Mozart (hence the latter's 6 "Haydn" string quartets, K.387,421,428,458,464, and 465). So it's a shame that some consider Haydn a "mini-Mozart". Couldn't be more wrong.
cheers

Mar 6, 2021 at 8:14 PM Post #2,663 of 2,850
There is nothing wrong that. Note however there are really two Mozarts, the early Mozart (of which the Violin Concertos are an excellent example) that is delightful, but in the final analysis, a little lightweight. Not that there is anything wrong with that, esp. if you are writing it as a teenager. It isn't until you past about K. 400 that you get mature Mozart, and that is some of the most profound and subtle music ever written. Mozart was at his best writing opera (which is not my favorite thing, by a long shot) and concertos. His last dozen or so piano concertos are remarkable. His Clarinet Concerto (full disclosure, I'm a recovering clarinet player) which is one of the very last pieces he finished, is perhaps even more remarkable. But these take a little time and effort to fully digest. I'm glad I have plenty of both Haydn and Mozart on my shelves.
For me, Mozart has two priceless bodies of work: his Operas, and his piano concerti. That's being picky. His piano trios and later quartets/quintets are also gems. Symphonies, meh. But I keep coming back to his piano concerti. Really ear candy but also emotionally complex (like his operas). Someone once wrote about Mozart's music, that behind every smile was a tear. Very true, yet subtle at times.

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2021 at 8:52 PM Post #2,664 of 2,850
...Symphonies, meh....

Yes! I have almost come to blows over this with other music lovers (who should know better). IMO if it wasn't for the first movement of the G minor and the last movement of the Jupiter the symphonies would be in the same league as e.g. his piano sonatas. Those are great movements, of course, but as a body of work.. c',mon.

I would add the horn concerti to the list of his great accomplishment too.

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2021 at 8:15 AM Post #2,666 of 2,850
Yes! I have almost come to blows over this with other music lovers (who should know better). IMO if it wasn't for the first movement of the G minor and the last movement of the Jupiter the symphonies would be in the same league as e.g. his piano sonatas. Those are great movements, of course, but as a body of work.. c',mon.

+1. His horn concerti are magnificent.
I was being picky -- there's so much that is sublime in Mozart, that to list the ones that were merely even "very good" would take some debate.
...and don't forget his violin sonatas too (Perlman/Barenboim) and the Divertimento K563 and Piano Quartet K478. Yikes.

He never wrote anything for solo cello/cello concerto. Would have loved to have heard Mozart's Cello Suites (cf. Bach) or Cto for Cello, Piano, and Orch. Alas, never to be.

Makes you wonder what he could have accomplished had he lived to be 56, like Beethoven.

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2021 at 8:24 AM Post #2,667 of 2,850

aren't you up pretty early this Sunday morn?

Mar 9, 2021 at 9:32 AM Post #2,668 of 2,850
More Chopin: the Complete Martha Argerich recordings box set from Deutsche Grammaphon.

Mar 10, 2021 at 8:50 PM Post #2,669 of 2,850
lately, i have been fixated on LP to 24 bit FLAC transfers. i love the smooth sound. the quality of the records used varies greatly; some surface noise, pops, crackling is expected but on occasion, a transfer is not very enjoyable. currently listening to beethoven cello sonatas with du pre.

cover.png

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back