Classical music discussion, what do you like?
Feb 11, 2021 at 7:54 AM Post #2,642 of 2,850
I would like to increase my collection of Chopin's music. The only album I have at the moment is Adam Harasiewicz's recording of the Nocturnes and Preludes. What else should I add to my collection? Perhaps there is a boxed set of Chopin's piano music that I can add to what I have?

thanks,

Luis

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2021 at 10:41 AM Post #2,643 of 2,850
i heard beethoven 2020 box. In eummary it is what the original 97 release plus new stuff that was not present on the older box plus new recordings esp. on the symphonies.
So ended keeping the OG 96 box plus the new stuff not present.

also gave a listen to the bach 333. A true mixed bag both literal and figurative meaning.

cantatas and vocal works were ok. Kept the new stuff e.g. a cersions and BWV above 1120’s.
Keyboard and organ works were nasty terrible, just kept a fee things worthy.

chqmber and orchestral was also a mixed bag d om that i only kept the BWV 1040

Feb 11, 2021 at 11:54 PM Post #2,644 of 2,850
I would like to increase my collection of Chopin's music. The only album I have at the moment is Adam Harasiewicz's recording of the Nocturnes and Preludes. What else should I add to my collection? Perhaps there is a boxed set of Chopin's piano music that I can add to what I have?

thanks,

Luis

I would strongly recommend any Chopin by Ivan Moravec. If you want a box Rubinstein has been the go to for decades, and Pollini would be a good second opinion.

Feb 12, 2021 at 12:02 AM Post #2,645 of 2,850
Born and raised on Rubinstein's Chopin. I'm too far gone to even tell if it's good or not, I can't think of Chopin not sounding like that.

Feb 12, 2021 at 12:41 AM Post #2,647 of 2,850
I'm watching director Phil Grabsky's documentary series on Amazon Prime. Watched Chopin and am in the middle of Haydn so far.

In Search of Mozart (2006)
In Search of Beethoven (2009)
In Search of Haydn (2012)
In Search of Chopin (2014)

Feb 12, 2021 at 7:57 AM Post #2,648 of 2,850
Feb 12, 2021 at 8:04 AM Post #2,649 of 2,850
i heard beethoven 2020 box. In eummary it is what the original 97 release plus new stuff that was not present on the older box plus new recordings esp. on the symphonies.
So ended keeping the OG 96 box plus the new stuff not present.

also gave a listen to the bach 333. A true mixed bag both literal and figurative meaning.

cantatas and vocal works were ok. Kept the new stuff e.g. a cersions and BWV above 1120’s.
Keyboard and organ works were nasty terrible, just kept a fee things worthy.

chqmber and orchestral was also a mixed bag d om that i only kept the BWV 1040
Thanks for the recommendations.

Feb 13, 2021 at 9:38 AM Post #2,650 of 2,850
Feb 13, 2021 at 9:55 AM Post #2,651 of 2,850
Mar 2, 2021 at 8:27 AM Post #2,652 of 2,850
I like to go to the local thrift stores to look at the cds. They usually sell for $.99
Here's a recent purchase

Beethoven: Triple Concerto for Piano, Violin, and Cello in C major, Op. 56
David Oistrakh (violin), Mstislav Rostropovich (cello) & Sviatoslav Richter (piano)
Berliner Philharmoniker
Herbert von Karajan

Brahms: Double Concerto for Violin & Cello in A minor, Op. 102
David Oistrakh (violin) & Mstislav Rostropovich (cello)
Cleveland Orchestra
George SzellI

It's an older recording. The sound quality is average but the playing is excellent.

Mar 2, 2021 at 1:10 PM Post #2,653 of 2,850

thanks,

Luis

I'm not sure if this would be of interest but I like Angela Hewitt's Chopin. A much more "classical" approach rather than romantic but that suits my interests.. maybe not yours.
https://angelahewitt.com/discography/chopin-the-complete-nocturnes-and-impromptus/

And if you want to branch out a bit this is fun.. but I'm a huge Olafur Arnalds fan

https://olafurarnalds.bingomerch.com/products/the-chopin-project-cd

Mar 2, 2021 at 1:14 PM Post #2,654 of 2,850
I'm not sure if this would be of interest but I like Angela Hewitt's Chopin. A much more "classical" approach rather than romantic but that suits my interests.. maybe not yours.
https://angelahewitt.com/discography/chopin-the-complete-nocturnes-and-impromptus/

And if you want to branch out a bit this is fun.. but I'm a huge Olafur Arnalds fan

https://olafurarnalds.bingomerch.com/products/the-chopin-project-cd
Thanks. I have Hewitt's Bach Keyboard works set and enjoy it. I'll have to take a look at her Chopin. I have not heard of Olafur Arnalds so I'll have to check it out.

Mar 2, 2021 at 1:36 PM Post #2,655 of 2,850
Thanks. I have Hewitt's Bach Keyboard works set and enjoy it. I'll have to take a look at her Chopin. I have not heard of Olafur Arnalds so I'll have to check it out.
Her Chopin, to me, is unusual in that it's much dryer than the usual swooning romanticism.. I like the difference.. but Bach is my favourite and I'm not so much into romantic music so you may have a different opinion.

Alice Sarah Ott is the pianist on the Olafur Arnalds collaboration. He's "modern classical" but it's an interesting crossover album.

Here's another interesting interpreter.. Vikingur Olafsson really leaves his mark on the pieces he plays..

https://www.discogs.com/Víkingur-Ólafsson-Bach-Chopin/release/9994733

Users who are viewing this thread

Back