Classical music discussion, what do you like?
Oct 15, 2020 at 11:01 AM Post #2,626 of 2,850
Just listened to Bohm's The Seasons, as I got enticed by Quinto's current Haydn orgy.
A really sweet recording, with the magisterial Gundy Janowitz singing soprano. Definitely gives the Karajan recording a run imho.
Is there a Karajan Haydn Seasons recording?
I was only aware of the Creation recording also with Janowitz among other great singers.
I sometimes spin it on LP but Dorati's recording on Decca is as so often from Decca compared to DGG a better recording technically.
Cheers CC

Oct 15, 2020 at 1:36 PM Post #2,627 of 2,850
Any fans of Khatia Buniatishvili here? I'm working through her new album. Was happy to see an Arvo Pärt piece on the list.

Oct 15, 2020 at 4:37 PM Post #2,628 of 2,850
Last edited:
Oct 29, 2020 at 12:44 AM Post #2,633 of 2,850
nvm

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2020 at 9:50 PM Post #2,638 of 2,850
Thank you Dave Hurwitz:

m9.jpg

Mahler 9 is one of my 2 or 3 all time favorite desert island pieces, and the von Karajan (live) Mahler 9 has been one my top 2 or 3 all time favorite desert island recordings of anything since I first heard it 30something years ago. I've collected well over a dozen Mahler 9s since then, and some of them are very good but none came close to HvK and the BPO. Then Hurwitz had good things to say about Ancerl and Czech Philharmonic, which I had never heard, but I'm an easy sell when it comes those guys so I bought it.

And WOW!!!!

This is a phenomenal performance and a spellbinding interpretation. Not to mention well recorded and remastered. It leaves Herb and everyone else in the dust. It sings, it dances, it screams and it cries. But is does it in a way that makes perfect sense (at least to me) and the symphony just unfolds with the same logic and inevitability as Beethoven or Brahms. It is truly remarkable, and I can't recommend this highly enough if you care about Mahler, or just great orchestra playing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back