Classical music discussion, what do you like?
Nov 20, 2016 at 7:30 PM Post #92 of 2,850
^ Welcome back eyesresist! Long time.
wink.gif

Nov 21, 2016 at 12:14 PM Post #93 of 2,850
This may be the completely wrong part of the forum for this kind of question, but since this is a 'phenomena' that I have exclusively noticed on classical music I thought this may be the place. Mods can move if I'm wrong.

Anyway, on a wide range of records I have noticed a faint sound in the background that I'm not sure of what it is. It is not present on all headphones, but can be heard very well on my HD800S. It's a sound that resembles a dry leaf rustling in the wind or a maraca shake (and I'm fairly [?!] positive that it's not an actual instrument).
I'm currently listening to 'The Chopin Project' by Alice Sara Ott & Ólafur Arnalds, and it's present in every piece. Can someone shed some kind of light on this, or do I just imagine things?

Thanks. :)

Nov 21, 2016 at 1:00 PM Post #94 of 2,850
  This may be the completely wrong part of the forum for this kind of question, but since this is a 'phenomena' that I have exclusively noticed on classical music I thought this may be the place. Mods can move if I'm wrong.

Anyway, on a wide range of records I have noticed a faint sound in the background that I'm not sure of what it is. It is not present on all headphones, but can be heard very well on my HD800S. It's a sound that resembles a dry leaf rustling in the wind or a maraca shake (and I'm fairly [?!] positive that it's not an actual instrument).
I'm currently listening to 'The Chopin Project' by Alice Sara Ott & Ólafur Arnalds, and it's present in every piece. Can someone shed some kind of light on this, or do I just imagine things?

Hi

My gut feeling is that someone is handling/turning a page of their score.

I hear it clearly on my floor system, especially with orchestral recordings in studio -- the conductor rustles a page of his score.....I like it, as it means my floor system can reproduce everything that happens to be on the recording -- breathing, grunting, humming (Glenn Gould), etc.

as always, YMMV.

Nov 21, 2016 at 1:17 PM Post #95 of 2,850

Sometimes, they are live so you hear audience shuffles etc.
Analogue to digital conversion of older recordings, and they have more noise artifacts
Probably page turning

Also hd800 is notorious for picking up extraneous noises due to the upper treble frequency boost, that may explain why you hear artifacts more clearly 

Nov 21, 2016 at 3:44 PM Post #96 of 2,850
Hi guys,

Thanks for the quick responses. I suppose it must be that the headphones are picking up extra noises, as the recordings are not live and the sound occurs way too often for it to be score page turning (and they're not playing that fast!). :)

Nov 22, 2016 at 1:06 PM Post #98 of 2,850
For you piano piano lovers, I highly recommend this new 2-disc set from both a sonic and performance aspect. He is one of my favorite young pianists--has jaw-dropping technique and musical insights. DG has provided him with superb sound.

Nov 22, 2016 at 6:19 PM Post #101 of 2,850
  For you piano piano lovers, I highly recommend this new 2-disc set from both a sonic and performance aspect. He is one of my favorite young pianists--has jaw-dropping technique and musical insights. DG has provided him with superb sound.

You posted it this two pages back?
biggrin.gif

Khodolenko has a great live recording too out of the pianists on the circuit atm.

But my personal liszt transcendental set favourite, it's one of those rare recordings which stands above others by a notable margin even that of Cziffra's.

Nov 22, 2016 at 9:26 PM Post #102 of 2,850
biggrin.gif

Khodolenko has a great live recording too out of the pianists on the circuit atm.

But my personal liszt transcendental set favourite, it's one of those rare recordings which stands above others by a notable margin even that of Cziffra's.

Better than Cortot without the tape hiss?
biggrin.gif

Nov 22, 2016 at 10:18 PM Post #103 of 2,850
biggrin.gif

Sorry--I post in a lot of music forums...hard to remember what I've posted where! Berman's is positively volcanic in intensity--a very different and equally valid approach. Of course Trifonov has far better sound. So does Kholodenko. 

Nov 23, 2016 at 4:13 AM Post #104 of 2,850
Better than Cortot without the tape hiss? :D

Cortot never recorded the transcendental as far as I am aware but who knows, he would have made sublime poetry out of these etudes! His b minor sonta is still my reference recording. You are too mean about his hissing! :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back