Classical music discussion, what do you like?
Nov 7, 2016 at 5:28 PM Post #61 of 2,850
@uchi, ^ geez, you really are an adrenaline addict. When do you sleep?

We have problem based learning too at my med school. Unfortunately, many profs think it's a disaster. We are producing doctors who have poor grasp of physiological principles, taught properly in lectures. It's true, I have seen it on the wards. Young residents' eyes glazed over by lack of conceptual understanding of hemodynamics etc. they pull out their Merck manuals like they were Bibles of medical practice competency. We need a reboot with the first two years' curricula. Anyways, enough ranting. Enjoy the experience! Always ask when something smells fishy.

Bruckner is hard to absorb. After a while, 7 out of his 9 symphs sound the same -- brass and more brass. Exceptions are #7 by Karajan vienna, his last recording in 1989. A truly sunset performance by Karajan and his VPO. Also, try #2. The slow movement is a sweet marvel for Bruckner.

Nov 7, 2016 at 5:35 PM Post #62 of 2,850
@uchi, ^ geez, you really are an adrenaline addict. When do you sleep?

We have problem based learning too at my med school. Unfortunately, many profs think it's a disaster. We are producing doctors who have poor grasp of physiological principles, taught properly in lectures. It's true, I have seen it on the wards. Young residents' eyes glazed over by lack of conceptual understanding of hemodynamics etc. they pull out their Merck manuals like they were Bibles of medical practice competency. We need a reboot with the first two years' curricula. Anyways, enough ranting. Enjoy the experience! Always ask when something smells fishy.

Bruckner is hard to absorb. After a while, 7 out of his 9 symphs sound the same -- brass and more brass. Exceptions are #7 by Karajan vienna, his last recording in 1989. A truly sunset performance by Karajan and his VPO. Also, try #2. The slow movement is a sweet marvel for Bruckner.

I would call myself a learning junkie! Sadly I am aware I will make sacrifices left right and centre at med school, so trying to shove everything in before it. Heard about the issues with PBL, :S I will make sure to remember your advice and supplement knowledge with good old school learning.

You recommend #2 first and then which ones are worth exploring subsequently? The times I listened to his symphs, it felt like just a wall of mush and as you say the same... Thanks in advance!

Nov 7, 2016 at 5:49 PM Post #63 of 2,850
Thanks, good luck with studies. But avoid Burnout. Too common among the young nowadays.

Try #5 and 7, all Karajan BPO and VPO for #7. Patience is the key with Bruckner.

Nov 7, 2016 at 5:54 PM Post #64 of 2,850
Thanks, good luck with studies. But avoid Burnout. Too common among the young nowadays.

Try #5 and 7, all Karajan BPO and VPO for #7. Patience is the key with Bruckner.

Patience - too uncommon among the young! 

Thank you for the advice, greatly appreciated!

Checking out the karajan vienna symphony 2 slow movement atm, this is much more accessible

Nov 7, 2016 at 6:38 PM Post #65 of 2,850
  how did you know I was a prof?? I've been unmasked! LOL. Seriously, I get about 1-2 hrs per evening on weeknights to listen. I find it more than therapeutic. Weekends, more time. With seniority, I spend less time supervising trainees in the lab (actually, they are more productive when I'm not around LOL), and most time reviewing other peoples' grants, vetting graduate applicants for my dept., etc. Plus some writing. But it's a good life, really. Tougher on the hrs when I was fighting for tenure in my earlier days....thanks for asking.

Hmmm... it's the same pose as on his Beethoven symph box set -- fist under chin. Is this guy a poster boy for WWF lol, or maybe he's got a hyper-aggressive disorder? Wonder what he's like in rehearsals? 
eek.gif

That set is not easily available in Canada. For Bruckner, it's Karajan, Wand (both BPO), and Haitink/RCO. Maybe some Jochum. Not sure about Chailly yet. Love his Brahms though, surprisingly -- nobody has gotten me excited about Brahms symphs til Chailly's set with the Leipzigers. Very athletic tempi and super-clear orchestral textures/phrasings, not clouded like some other conductors. 
beerchug.gif

That's interesting, I should listen to his Brahms again.. I have a soft spot for adagio in 1st symphony..I remember being a bit confused..

Nov 8, 2016 at 2:36 AM Post #67 of 2,850
This new release is one of my favorites and contains some mind-blowing piano playing. Very good sound, too.

Nov 8, 2016 at 8:06 AM Post #68 of 2,850
  This new release is one of my favorites and contains some mind-blowing piano playing. Very good sound, too.

You have to be insane (good) to play the transcendental etudes back to back in one sitting
evil_smiley.gif

Nov 8, 2016 at 12:18 PM Post #71 of 2,850

You have to be insane (good) to play the transcendental etudes back to back in one sitting
evil_smiley.gif

A year or two ago, Trifonov was playing the entire set live--as just one-half of his recital! The first half was a Bach-Liszt Prelude and Fugue, then Beethoven's Sonata No.32. He ever takes the easy route! I saw him play an incredible concert in January (Bach-Brahms Chaconne, a Schubert Sonata, Brahms Paganini Variations, and Rachmaninoff Sonata No.1). On December 1 I get to hear him play Rachmaninoff's 3rd concerto in LA with Dudamel. Should be a blast!

Nov 8, 2016 at 12:29 PM Post #72 of 2,850

Belcea's Beethoven (live) recordings are really growing on me..Something special, like the live recordings of Elias quartet..

Sure hope they'll finish the Beethoven cycle..

Nov 8, 2016 at 12:46 PM Post #73 of 2,850
A year or two ago, Trifonov was playing the entire set live--as just one-half of his recital! The first half was a Bach-Liszt Prelude and Fugue, then Beethoven's Sonata No.32. He ever takes the easy route! I saw him play an incredible concert in January (Bach-Brahms Chaconne, a Schubert Sonata, Brahms Paganini Variations, and Rachmaninoff Sonata No.1). On December 1 I get to hear him play Rachmaninoff's 3rd concerto in LA with Dudamel. Should be a blast!

I had the same teacher as he did and we played an alcohol infused d940 together for fun

Users who are viewing this thread

Back