Classical music discussion, what do you like?
Nov 23, 2016 at 11:25 AM Post #106 of 2,850
Cortot never recorded the transcendental as far as I am aware but who knows, he would have made sublime poetry out of these etudes! His b minor sonta is still my reference recording. You are too mean about his hissing! :p

He's not hissing. The recording is full of hisses....the rec engineers were asleep?

thank god for Bach's cello suites..

Fournier is still my fav recording. He has such a poetic touch with these suites. Don't care for Starker or Rostropovich.

Nov 23, 2016 at 11:26 AM Post #107 of 2,850
He's not hissing. The recording is full of hisses....the rec engineers were asleep?

Fournier is still my fav recording. He has such a poetic touch with these suites. Don't care for Starker or Rostropovich.

I thought you blamed the reptiles!

Nov 23, 2016 at 12:10 PM Post #109 of 2,850
I thought you blamed the reptiles!

biggrin.gif
evil_smiley.gif

Nov 30, 2016 at 8:10 AM Post #111 of 2,850
DISCLAIMER - TOTAL hissfest (at least few hundred reptiles), but a godlike recording nonetheless!
gs1000.gif

Fascinating video description.

In his book "Horowitz," Glen Plaskin writes,"the french master (Cortot)did give him(Horowitz) occasional lessons and assignments. These began in 1928 and continued sporadically for the next few years. Cortot was struck by the clarity and projection of Horowitz's tone but showed distain for the idea of making a career on temperament and technical brilliance. 'Horowitz has a great genius for getting things ready for performance' Cortot would tell his students. But Cortot made no secret of his reservations about Horowitz's intellect,and was never convinced that as a performer he desired to be a re-creator in service of the composer. A Cortot pupil,Thomas Manshardt,remembered that Cortot believed Horowitz 'came to study in order to discover how he,Cortot, managed the double notes in the Etude en Forme d'une Valse by Saint-Saens,which Horowitz concidered a miracle of velocity and light brilliancy as played by Cortot. Cortot thought this an inadequate reason for studying. Years later he gleefully declared "I never told him how it was done." '

Dec 19, 2016 at 2:48 AM Post #120 of 2,850
I just bought Kocsis' Liszt Concertos--staggeringly good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back