Classical music discussion, what do you like?
Oct 12, 2019 at 8:51 AM Post #2,221 of 2,850
polina osetinskaya-melodiya.jpg

Oct 24, 2019 at 11:29 AM Post #2,223 of 2,850
Mozsrt night pick
If that is the Colin Davis recording? I have it complete on LPs and the DGG Böhm one posted by Head earlier as well.
The Colin Davis recording I have, has got Ingvar Wixell as il Conte and a still young
Jessye Norman as La Contessa. Mirella Freni as Susanna and Yvonne Minton as Cherubino among others.
Like Böhm's DGG recording a classic.

My currently most played version of this ,one of my absolute top favourite Operas of all Operas, though, is the somewhat controversial Currentzis recording of Figaro on Sony.

Its qualities grow on me, and there are some very nice and fresh young voices in the leading roles that can compete even with singers like Gundula Janowitz imho.
And in much better SQ than DGG ever gave Janowitz too.

But since about three weeks I can't stop playing a Baroque Opera I had not heard before over and over again.
Handel's early Opera Agrippina in a really excellent 2010 harmonia mundi recording conducted by Rene´ Jacobs.
It has opened my ears and mind to Handel's Operas.
Strongly recommended.
Cheers CC

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2019 at 11:41 AM Post #2,224 of 2,850
If that is the Colin Davis recording? I have it complete on LPs and the DGG Böhm one posted by Head earlier as well.

My currently most played version of this ,one of my absolute top favourite Operas of all Operas, is the somewhat controversial Currentzis recording of Figaro on Sony.
Its qualities grow on me, and there are some very nice and fresh young voices in the leading roles that can compete even with singers like Gundula Janowitz imho.
And in much better SQ than DGG ever gave Janowitz too.

But since about three weeks I can't stop playing a Baroque Opera I had not heard before over and over again.
Handel's early Opera Agrippina in a really excellent 2010 harmonia mundi recording conducted by Rene´ Jacobs.
It has opened my ears and mind to Handel's Operas.
Strongly recommended.
Cheers CC
yes the Collins Davis version complete . I have the original philips mozart edition

Oct 24, 2019 at 11:56 AM Post #2,226 of 2,850
Hmm.. But in your not exactly sharp photo I read the information "Royal Opera House". The recording I have by Colin Davis has the BBC Symphony and Chorus.
Cheers CC
yes i am atill working on the mess from the ripping program i used. Tags like crap, but rips CDs bit-perfect as flac

Oct 25, 2019 at 8:24 AM Post #2,227 of 2,850
yes i am atill working on the mess from the ripping program i used. Tags like crap, but rips CDs bit-perfect as flac

Ok, now I understand the confusion. That sometimes happens for me too when loading new files into iTunes on my macbook. pro.
And sometimes in Audirvana works are shown with the wrong cover.
Annoying when it happens.
When I rip cds on my mbp I never get a cover image, only the title.

And not always in the correct order. I sometimes have to re-arrange rips to get the movements of a work in the correct order.
But I am using older versions of iTunes and Audirvana so I have to live with it.

And the fact that iTunes insists on calling say a Piano Sonata by Beethoven a song, is also more than a bit annoying.
In my vocabulary a song is a song, ie something to be sung.

On Youtube some even call a symphony a song.

Among other things I have been learning how to play the slow movement of Beethoven's 7th symphony on my piano from You tube tutorials recently. And one guy teaching there kept saying "this song".
I put up with it because his teaching method was quite good .
But to my surprise and amusement, there was even a comment from someone in the comments section adressing the "teacher" with: Everytime you call this symphony "a song", Beethoven kills a kitten!!!
PS I hope you get your tagging working properly in the end..
Cheers CC

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2019 at 5:25 AM Post #2,232 of 2,850

I found that fast version and quite like it(a fair bit faster than what I have at home). so I went obviously looking for Karajan's version, as he's for me the king of recording stuff at a pace that indicates he's got a plane to catch real soon. and no! on that one he decided that he would play it like 30% slower than most people. Karajan Y U do dis to me? ^_^

Nov 5, 2019 at 11:20 PM Post #2,235 of 2,850
I found that fast version and quite like it(a fair bit faster than what I have at home). so I went obviously looking for Karajan's version, as he's for me the king of recording stuff at a pace that indicates he's got a plane to catch real soon. and no! on that one he decided that he would play it like 30% slower than most people. Karajan Y U do dis to me? ^_^

You do know that Herbie was a pilot and liked flying choppers and jets, right? He also liked fast cars. Porsche.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back