1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Classical music discussion, what do you like?

Discussion in 'Music' started by quinto, Oct 22, 2016.
First

Back
139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148
150 151
Next

Last
  1. CanadianMaestro
    polina osetinskaya-melodiya.jpg

Peter Hyatt and Light - Man like this.
  2. gerelmx1986
    Mozsrt night pick
    15714300390243886429225516216287.jpg

CanadianMaestro and Peter Hyatt like this.
  3. Christer
    If that is the Colin Davis recording? I have it complete on LPs and the DGG Böhm one posted by Head earlier as well.
    The Colin Davis recording I have, has got Ingvar Wixell as il Conte and a still young
    Jessye Norman as La Contessa. Mirella Freni as Susanna and Yvonne Minton as Cherubino among others.
    Like Böhm's DGG recording a classic.

My currently most played version of this ,one of my absolute top favourite Operas of all Operas, though, is the somewhat controversial Currentzis recording of Figaro on Sony.

Its qualities grow on me, and there are some very nice and fresh young voices in the leading roles that can compete even with singers like Gundula Janowitz imho.
    And in much better SQ than DGG ever gave Janowitz too.

But since about three weeks I can't stop playing a Baroque Opera I had not heard before over and over again.
    Handel's early Opera Agrippina in a really excellent 2010 harmonia mundi recording conducted by Rene´ Jacobs.
    It has opened my ears and mind to Handel's Operas.
    Strongly recommended.
    Cheers CC

Last edited: Oct 24, 2019
    Light - Man and Peter Hyatt like this.
  4. gerelmx1986
    yes the Collins Davis version complete . I have the original philips mozart edition

5. Christer
    Hmm.. But in your not exactly sharp photo I read the information "Royal Opera House". The recording I have by Colin Davis has the BBC Symphony and Chorus.
    Cheers CC

Peter Hyatt likes this.
  6. gerelmx1986
    yes i am atill working on the mess from the ripping program i used. Tags like crap, but rips CDs bit-perfect as flac

Peter Hyatt likes this.
  7. Christer
    Ok, now I understand the confusion. That sometimes happens for me too when loading new files into iTunes on my macbook. pro.
    And sometimes in Audirvana works are shown with the wrong cover.
    Annoying when it happens.
    When I rip cds on my mbp I never get a cover image, only the title.

And not always in the correct order. I sometimes have to re-arrange rips to get the movements of a work in the correct order.
    But I am using older versions of iTunes and Audirvana so I have to live with it.

And the fact that iTunes insists on calling say a Piano Sonata by Beethoven a song, is also more than a bit annoying.
    In my vocabulary a song is a song, ie something to be sung.

On Youtube some even call a symphony a song.

Among other things I have been learning how to play the slow movement of Beethoven's 7th symphony on my piano from You tube tutorials recently. And one guy teaching there kept saying "this song".
    I put up with it because his teaching method was quite good .
    But to my surprise and amusement, there was even a comment from someone in the comments section adressing the "teacher" with: Everytime you call this symphony "a song", Beethoven kills a kitten!!!
    PS I hope you get your tagging working properly in the end..
    Cheers CC

Last edited: Oct 25, 2019
  8. CanadianMaestro
    iTunes sucks for ripping CDs.

Peter Hyatt likes this.
  9. gerelmx1986
    i use dbPower amp CD ripper with AccuRip

CanadianMaestro and Peter Hyatt like this.
  10. CanadianMaestro
    That's a good program.
    I use XLD. Free. Lots of setting options, incl Accurate Rip, etc.

Peter Hyatt likes this.
  11. gerelmx1986
    15725518759879044870392014239076.jpg

Peter Hyatt likes this.
  12. castleofargh Contributor

I found that fast version and quite like it(a fair bit faster than what I have at home). so I went obviously looking for Karajan's version, as he's for me the king of recording stuff at a pace that indicates he's got a plane to catch real soon. and no! on that one he decided that he would play it like 30% slower than most people. Karajan Y U do dis to me? ^_^

Christer and Light - Man like this.
  13. Quinto

Light - Man likes this.
  14. gerelmx1986
    15729740030529113555633334973799.jpg

15. CanadianMaestro
    You do know that Herbie was a pilot and liked flying choppers and jets, right? He also liked fast cars. Porsche.

Light - Man likes this.
First

Back
139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148
150 151
Next

Last