Classical music discussion, what do you like?
Sep 18, 2019 at 8:51 AM Post #2,176 of 2,850

great recording!
Is that recording included in your Solti MEGA set or did you buy this one individually?
Any favourites from that set?
I don't have Solti's Bruckner 9. I have his Schubert 9 though and on cd. And I have since this spring and via my Hugo M scaler, re-discovered many good cds from that era.
Another good Bruckner 9 from the early cd era days is Haitink's Concertgebouw recording on Philips.
And a live Bruckner 7 well worth hearing more than once, was Haitink's farewell Concert at the Proms with the Vienna Philharmonic recently.
Haitink has just turned 90 and is retiring.
This morning I listened to Fischer's B7 in DSD 64 from Channel Classics also very well played and in better sound than BBC streaming quality.
Cheers CC

Sep 18, 2019 at 9:37 AM Post #2,177 of 2,850
15688138232907325647354542435187.jpg

Sep 18, 2019 at 11:17 AM Post #2,178 of 2,850
Is that recording included in your Solti MEGA set or did you buy this one individually?
Any favourites from that set?
I don't have Solti's Bruckner 9. I have his Schubert 9 though and on cd. And I have since this spring and via my Hugo M scaler, re-discovered many good cds from that era.
Another good Bruckner 9 from the early cd era days is Haitink's Concertgebouw recording on Philips.
And a live Bruckner 7 well worth hearing more than once, was Haitink's farewell Concert at the Proms with the Vienna Philharmonic recently.
Haitink has just turned 90 and is retiring.
This morning I listened to Fischer's B7 in DSD 64 from Channel Classics also very well played and in better sound than BBC streaming quality.
Cheers CC

Yes, it's from the box set.. So far I was very impressed with Stravinsky's Sacre, Shostakovich 8th, Tchaikovsky's 6th, Liszt Faust symphony and Mahler's 3rd..but I have yet a lot to listen to..I wasn't that familiar with Solti and the CPO, except for Mahler's symphonies, I like what I'm hearing so far, good/great recordings, very interesting interpretations.
I love most of Haitink's work, but it took me some time for some reason. His Mahler 9 is one of the best IMO, love his M3rd and Bruckner 7..Fischer has a nice Mahler 9 recording but I don't care much for his 3rd..I'll check out his Bruckner, should be interesting

Until now Celibidache's Bruckner are my favorite, especially his 9th..Gunter Wand with Berliner is great as well

So many choices, I feel spoiled rotten sometimes :)

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2019 at 8:11 AM Post #2,180 of 2,850

Really like this particular interpretation, not available on cd or vinyl though :frowning2:

thanks for this.

a few remarks:
1/ I find it just weird in this day and age that a musician still has to turn pages himself or get a slave to do it for him. it annoys me every single time I see it.

2/ my brain has been corrupted and until the day I die, I will see Debussy mentioned and will think of this

despite thinking that dick jokes are the lowest and weakest level of humor, I just can't free myself from this mental association. and now I got you too!

I like this, I clearly need to take a break from Bach at this point(even if I really really love his organ pieces as non intrusive background music when I need to focus on something). this version is a pretty cool work IMO.

Sep 20, 2019 at 6:32 PM Post #2,183 of 2,850
Sep 20, 2019 at 6:51 PM Post #2,184 of 2,850
p.s. from an earlier post by Quinto.

I generally avoid Solti for Bruckner. imo he misses the spiritual aura of Bruckner's symphonies, esp. #3,5, and 8. Gunter Wand and Karajan do them much better, as does Skrowaczewski/Saarbru Rad Sym.
As for Solti's Mahler, I like his M1 with the LSO. But his M8 is way over-rated, imo. cheers.
Solti's Wagner Ring is a gem, however.

A dark horse that I discovered recently: Solti's Beethoven 9th, his CSO 1986 recording, later than the one from his box of 1970s Beeth symphs. The sound and clarity are the best I've heard yet for the Ninth, anywhere. And the energy is stupendous. A reference 9th, imo.

solti9-cover.jpg

Sep 21, 2019 at 6:03 AM Post #2,186 of 2,850
Last edited:
Sep 21, 2019 at 7:16 AM Post #2,187 of 2,850
I've been really enjoying listening to Schubert's trio D.929 (Beaux Arts), written in that unbelievable last year of his short life, 1828. I put 929 on par with his sonata D.960, and his C-maj quintet D.956. All of these came from a man who knew his days were severely numbered. I still can;t grasp it.

https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/8321455--schubert-piano-trio-d929-sonatensatz-d28
https://www.prestomusic.com/classic...bert-piano-trio-no-2-notturno-in-e-flat-major

His mass D.950 is also superb. I hear terror in the latter part of the 950, akin almost to Mozart's Requiem. I would certainly view it as his Requiem, at least at the end of the piece. wow.

https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/7962586--schubert-mass-no-6-in-e-flat-major-d950

schub950-cover.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2019 at 7:59 AM Post #2,188 of 2,850
thanks for this.

a few remarks:
1/ I find it just weird in this day and age that a musician still has to turn pages himself or get a slave to do it for him. it annoys me every single time I see it.

2/ my brain has been corrupted and until the day I die, I will see Debussy mentioned and will think of this

despite thinking that dick jokes are the lowest and weakest level of humor, I just can't free myself from this mental association. and now I got you too!

I like this, I clearly need to take a break from Bach at this point(even if I really really love his organ pieces as non intrusive background music when I need to focus on something). this version is a pretty cool work IMO.
I call debussy. :D dePUSY

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back