Classical music discussion, what do you like?
Sep 9, 2019 at 4:26 PM Post #2,163 of 2,850
15680607771666746526246018748815.jpg

Sep 17, 2019 at 7:04 AM Post #2,173 of 2,850
don Giovanni - curenzis, ditto ode nozze di figaro (or kleiber)
I have the Currentzis recording of Figaro as 24/192 download and have gradually come to like it more and more.
Some superb singing and quite brisk tempi.
But it took me a while to enjoy it for me, coming from Böhm DGG and Colin Davis' Philps recordings on LPs.
I haven't heard Currentzis' Don Giovanni but may get that one as well.
The only digital version of Don Giovanni I have is Karajan's Salzburg production on DVD.
My favourite Don is still the a bit aging but all in all wonderful early 60s recording on EMI with Guilini conducting the star singers of those days in a classic recording.
As far as Die Entführung aus dem Seragial is concerned my recording on LPs is the old Crips EMI but I don't yet have a digital version.Any recommenedations?
My latest top recommendatio for Die Zauberflöte was /is the one at the BBC Proms recently absolutely wonderful perormance in quite good streaming quality from the BBC, still available on BBC Radio 3.

My digital version of Cosi van Tutte is the DGG live Baden Festival set with Miah Persson as Fiordiligi.
Sq wise not ideal but musically good.
PS With the Proms over I made a visit to town yesterday and found a bargain Opera recoding on two cds for 2€
Bellini's La Sonnambula in a DECCA recording from Zürich with Cecilia Bartoli as Amina.
Bellini's music a bit too predictable ,definitely not Mozart.
But Bartoli what a voice!
I want to hear more from her. Any recommendations anybody?
Cheers CC

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2019 at 7:48 AM Post #2,174 of 2,850
I have the Currentzis recording of Figaro as 24/192 download and have gradually come to like it more and more.
Some superb singing and quite brisk tempi.
But it took me a while to enjoy it for me, coming from Böhm DGG and Colin Davis' Philps recordings on LPs.
I haven't heard Currentzis' Don Giovanni but may get that one as well.
The only digital version of Don Giovanni I have is Karajan's Salzburg production on DVD.
My favourite Don is still the a bit aging but all in all wonderful early 60s recording on EMI with Guilini conducting the star singers of those days in a classic recording.
As far as Die Entführung aus dem Seragial is concerned my recording on LPs is the old Crips EMI but I don't yet have a digital version.Any recommenedations?
My latest top recommendatio for Die Zauberflöte was /is the one at the BBC Proms recently absolutely wonderful perormance in quite good streaming quality from the BBC, still available on BBC Radio 3.

My digital version of Cosi van Tutte is the DGG live Baden Festival set with Miah Persson as Fiordiligi.
Sq wise not ideal but musically good.
PS With the Proms over I made a visit to town yesterday and found a bargain Opera recoding on two cds for 2€
Bellini's La Sonnambula in a DECCA recording from Zürich with Cecilia Bartoli as Amina.
Bellini's music a bit too predictable ,definitely not Mozart.
But Bartoli what a voice!
I want to hear more from her. Any recommendations anybody?
Cheers CC
Im like her Haydn, Orfeo & Euridice

Users who are viewing this thread

Back