Classical music discussion, what do you like?
Jul 24, 2019 at 8:40 AM Post #2,057 of 2,850
Recently, I've been really enjoying

81jNAeXInmL._SY355_.jpg

I'm also—finally—starting in on

71MrX7kxZbL._SX450_.jpg

but it will take me some time to digest it.

Van Immerseel has never let me down (except for his Schubert trios: the fortepiano cannot be made to play that part).

Korzeniowaki
-
-
-

^ Is that supposed to be that harlot, Wallace Simpson?

My grandmother saw the Prince of Wales in Toronto during the 1919 royal tour. She was "not impressed." All style and no substance. (But what style, eh!)

Jul 24, 2019 at 5:24 PM Post #2,058 of 2,850
Over the last several years, my wife has accompanied me to concerts and enjoyed them. Just “this was nice” and back to pop music.

Then, it got her.

It was Beethoven’s 9th—-it was like something she never experienced before—tears running down her face and being “grabbed” by the performance. “What am I hearing??” asking herself.

2013 Simon Rattle & Berliner in an door concert at the Waldbuhne.

She’s now taken to listening to symphonies on her daily commute —-

Since that time of the 9th, classical is all she’ll listen to.

I think she’s lost her mind.

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2019 at 9:48 PM Post #2,059 of 2,850
Peter Hyatt: get her to listen to Schubert's 9th, esp. the Scherzo (3rd mvt). Never fails to get me outta my chair.

Beethoven's Choral Fantasy is considered LvB's "pre-flight" experiment for His 9th. The piano part is exquisite. It's about 17-20 mins. in length.

Jul 25, 2019 at 5:11 AM Post #2,060 of 2,850
Peter Hyatt: get her to listen to Schubert's 9th, esp. the Scherzo (3rd mvt). Never fails to get me outta my chair.

Beethoven's Choral Fantasy is considered LvB's "pre-flight" experiment for His 9th. The piano part is exquisite. It's about 17-20 mins. in length.

Thanks for the tip.

We’ve got Christian Thielleman Munchner Philharmoniker Schubert’s 9th on this morning for coffee and offline download for her commute.

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2019 at 9:10 AM Post #2,061 of 2,850
Thanks for the tip.

We’ve got Christian Thielleman Munchner Philharmoniker Schubert’s 9th on this morning for coffee and offline download for her commute.

Great! Tell me what you/she thinks about Schubert's 9th. Take your time. It's a LONG piece, but still shorter than many other symphs. I listen to it about once a week. A true masterpiece that doesn't try to imitate past symphs, esp. Beethoven's.

Try to hear the DSD64 version of Josef Krip's 9th (Lond Symph). On a floor system. My jaw dropped.

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2019 at 10:37 AM Post #2,063 of 2,850
Great! Tell me what you/she thinks about Schubert's 9th. Take your time. It's a LONG piece, but still shorter than many other symphs. I listen to it about once a week. A true masterpiece that doesn't try to imitate past symphs, esp. Beethoven's.

Try to hear the DSD64 version of Josef Krip's 9th (Lond Symph). On a floor system. My jaw dropped.

I enjoy the recommendations that include sound quality references.

Text from wife after commute to work:

“I loved Schubert 9”

She’ll listen again on return trip.

Jul 25, 2019 at 12:30 PM Post #2,067 of 2,850
I got a text from my wife last night....................

"Don't bother coming home, your dinner is in the dog!"

Too bad you don't live in China. :ksc75smile:

[dogs are a culinary delicacy in some regions there....]

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2019 at 8:16 PM Post #2,068 of 2,850
Quinto: I went thru my Argerich "phase" a while back, having bought a box of her recs. She's certainly excellent, in the Romantic repertoire. Not so much in stuff like Schubert and Beethoven, which she hasn't recorded much of (or any Bach, if I remember correctly).

Lately, I've been listening to Bach, played by the younger gen -- Goldbergs by Igor Levit. Beatrice Rana, Simone Dinnerstein, and Alexandre Tharaud are three pianists I hadn't even heard before, and yet, their Goldbergs are refreshing ear-openers. None approach Gould's Goldbergs, but I think that's intentional on their part. For e.g., Dinnerstein's GB is quite slow and very mellow. Levit, I'm not so sure his Bach is as fine as his Beethoven late sonatas, which I like a lot. (His upcoming complete LvB sonata cycle on Sony is long overdue -- let's see how he fares with the earlier sonatas).

cheers

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2019 at 6:25 AM Post #2,069 of 2,850
Quinto: I went thru my Argerich "phase" a while back, having bought a box of her recs. She's certainly excellent, in the Romantic repertoire. Not so much in stuff like Schubert and Beethoven, which she hasn't recorded much of (or any Bach, if I remember correctly).

Lately, I've been listening to Bach, played by the younger gen -- Goldbergs by Igor Levit. Beatrice Rana, Simone Dinnerstein, and Alexandre Tharaud are three pianists I hadn't even heard before, and yet, their Goldbergs are refreshing ear-openers. None approach Gould's Goldbergs, but I think that's intentional on their part. For e.g., Dinnerstein's GB is quite slow and very mellow. Levit, I'm not so sure his Bach is as fine as his Beethoven late sonatas, which I like a lot. (His upcoming complete LvB sonata cycle on Sony is long overdue -- let's see how he fares with the earlier sonatas).

cheers

I agree on Argerich, I heard some Bach of her which was quite decent from what I remember (I think partita 2).. Anyways, I'm sort of trying to expand my rather somewhat limited horizon I guess :) I am not a big fan of Liszt but love her rendition of the B-minor sonata
I really wanted to like Dinnerstein's Goldberg (and some others) but in the end I didn't..Gould spoilt my to for ever

Cheers

Jul 26, 2019 at 6:30 AM Post #2,070 of 2,850
I picked up her recent live album, “Martha Argerich & Friends.”

I enjoy live albums in general, including less than perfection moments (I prefer they not be over dubbed).

I enjoy the album and the warmth of collaboration it conveys.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back