Class of 2006...where are you going?
Apr 1, 2006 at 12:18 AM Post #61 of 103
Carnegie Mellon has a pretty intense ECE program (among the best), and is highly research oriented (very easy to start ug research). Half of the school is engineering oriented, the rest isn't, so there's a good mix; plenty of normal people, and a good number of not-so-normal people. Also division 3 in sports, nothing special there... also life can be pretty quiet to crazy partying, depending on what you're looking for. Weather is obviously not as nice as at USC.

Anyways I've just accepted my admissions to Carnegie Mellon for PhD in mechanical engineering.

Apr 1, 2006 at 12:36 AM Post #63 of 103
I also got into Columbia and Princeton. Waitlisted at Harvard and Stanford.

Fairly satisfied with my results. Of course, I'd like the waitlists to turn into accepts, but that's life for you...

Apr 1, 2006 at 12:57 AM Post #64 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by tennisets
Also, Carnegie Mellon's computer/electrical engineering program is VERY exclusive, so congrats on getting in. I think when I visited they told me they accept something like two to four percent of applicants to that program.

This is quite right. One of my colleagues is a professor there and I work with a couple of his grad students on a project. Ridiculously bright people and the topics of interest are outstanding. The research is top notch and they have excellent funding.

Apr 1, 2006 at 1:13 AM Post #65 of 103
gosh, people in this thread are so smart!
k1000smile.gif
Anyone know a secret?

A girl at school got wait listed at georgetown and rejected from Cornell and got into Harvard!

Apr 1, 2006 at 3:42 AM Post #66 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oistrakh
k1000smile.gif
Anyone know a secret?

A girl at school got wait listed at georgetown and rejected from Cornell and got into Harvard!

you seem quite obsessive over colleges. Just do what you need to do and spend quality time on your application. That's it.

ON the other hand, someone i know got into Harvard/MIT/probably Princeton. Freaking genius... he was in the Mathematics Olympiad (the team is taken from AMC testing/AIME testing/USAMO testing) and won 2nd place in the Intel Talent Search. YIkes.

Apr 1, 2006 at 6:15 AM Post #67 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oistrakh
k1000smile.gif
Anyone know a secret?

I've said this many times before, and I'll say it yet again: Ivy League admissions is a crapshoot. You do your application the best you can, and you take your chances. I got into Penn, but rejected from Yale. A big part of it was probably my intention to study business, but do I know the exact reason? No. Four years later, do I even think about it? No.

Apr 1, 2006 at 1:15 PM Post #69 of 103
Ohh all this talk reminds me of this time for me last year. I applied to all top notch colleges, 4.0, awesome ACT,sports, blah blah. I wasn't the president of every single club, but I did have some good EC's and was actively invovled in them. My big thing was that I had already been attending college for 2 years at U of Wisconsin. So I applied to all top colleges and got rejected at every single one. Now I go to UW. and you know what? Its the best thing that ever happened to me. Not only do I get good grades here so I'm not stressed all the time, the student involvement in the engineering program here is awesome. I visited almost all the schools I applied to and I can say with confidence the only program that I felt would be better is MIT and maybe Stanford. Maybe other schools have better reps, but its also really important to get involved in programs outside of class. For me it is Formula SAE, a racing competition. Here at UW we have an outstanding team. I can't possibly express how much I have learned about being an engineer already in my first year while many other friends who are at other colleges still are in 1st semester calc and haven't even taken a real engineering class yet.

Quote:

Originally Posted by plus_c
I've said this many times before, and I'll say it yet again: Ivy League admissions is a crapshoot. You do your application the best you can, and you take your chances. I got into Penn, but rejected from Yale. A big part of it was probably my intention to study business, but do I know the exact reason? No. Four years later, do I even think about it? No.

Yes, Before head-fi I was actively involved in a college admissions forum. The people on there are quite insane about it. But people would post there stats and if they got it. It did seem like quite a complete crapshoot for top colleges.

So I guess just do your research on colleges. Find a program that fits you best. I was going to go to a top school just based on their reputation but that was a mistake. I am positive that I have had opportunities here at UW that I would not have had elsewhere.

Apr 1, 2006 at 1:20 PM Post #70 of 103
Ohh all this talk reminds me of this time for me last year. I applied to all top notch colleges, 4.0, awesome ACT,sports, blah blah. I wasn't the president of every single club, but I did have some good EC's and was actively invovled in them. My big thing was that I had already been attending college for 2 years at U of Wisconsin. So I applied to all top colleges and got rejected at every single one. Now I go to UW. and you know what? Its the best thing that ever happened to me. Not only do I get good grades here so I'm not stressed all the time, the student involvement in the engineering program here is awesome. I visited almost all the schools I applied to and I can say with confidence the only program that I felt would be better is MIT and maybe Stanford. Maybe other schools have better reps, but its also really important to get involved in programs outside of class. For me it is Formula SAE, a racing competition. Here at UW we have an outstanding team. I can't possibly express how much I have learned about being an engineer already in my first year while many other friends who are at other colleges still are in 1st semester calc and haven't even taken a real engineering class yet.

Quote:

Originally Posted by plus_c

Yes, Before head-fi I was actively involved in a college admissions forum. The people on there are quite insane about it. But people would post there stats and if they got it. It did seem like quite a complete crapshoot for top colleges.

So I guess just do your research on colleges. Find a program that fits you best. I was going to go to a top school just based on their reputation but that was a mistake. I am positive that I have had opportunities here at UW that I would not have had elsewhere.

Apr 1, 2006 at 4:50 PM Post #71 of 103
Quote:

Hey I think I know that site... college confidential? yeah... I lived there last month
rolleyes.gif
icon10.gif

Apr 1, 2006 at 5:26 PM Post #72 of 103
College Confidential is evil. I try to use it only to find out information that's not easily available, like when the colleges sent out decisions, when they'd be posted online, and how they decisions were sent out.

Apr 1, 2006 at 8:12 PM Post #73 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oddball
College Confidential is evil. I try to use it only to find out information that's not easily available, like when the colleges sent out decisions, when they'd be posted online, and how they decisions were sent out.

it is quite evil. I started there...moved to Notebook forums and now here i am at head-fi. So I found a college, a notebook, and some head phones. Even now I haven't posted here in about a 2 weeks because of the bilss with the UE10's. Just don't feel the urge to get on here that much any more

Apr 1, 2006 at 8:18 PM Post #74 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oddball

College Confidential is evil. There are some extremely arrogant and mean people there.
frown.gif
Too much worrying is bad, as well. When I was waiting for my decisions, all I saw were people going crazy about getting in. It only made me more and more anxious.

Ahhhh!

Apr 2, 2006 at 5:00 AM Post #75 of 103
What kind of high schools do you people go to? I attend a low-budget urban high school and the biggest school anyone gets accepted to is NYU. Most of the time it's either no college or community college. I wish I had a more opprotuned life. I'm applying to NYU NJIT and Rutgers all next year while others here got accepted into Stanford, MIT, and all these other crazy schools. I envy all of you hard workers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back