Class of 2006...where are you going?
Apr 5, 2006 at 6:25 PM Post #91 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by mateo05
Wow, just poked my head in here....LOTS of NU people! We definitely need a meet sometime.

Yeah, member falkon72 also goes to NU. Maybe I'll start a mini-meet thread in the meetings forum, I don't know...

Apr 5, 2006 at 7:37 PM Post #92 of 103
Okay, so we got a few NUers here, do we all know what year each of us are?

I'm a junior, I know Edward is a frosh, and it seems mateo05 is a frosh as well assuming he means that he's a year ahead of the people deciding what college to go to.

What year is falkon72?

Apr 5, 2006 at 9:51 PM Post #93 of 103
Not much Canadian presence from what I see
tongue.gif

I'll be going to McGill University (Montreal, QC)

Probably a mixture of Computer Science & Economics.

But due to the way the Quebec system works, I'll be part of the '09 graduating class.
icon10.gif
(Here we do 13 years before university.)

Apr 6, 2006 at 12:01 AM Post #94 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by ojnihs
What year is falkon72?

I don't know. According to his profile he's a couple months older than me, so he could reasonably fall into freshman or sophomore territory, though I'm guessing he's a sophomore.

We should have a meet next year when I bring a speaker system
very_evil_smiley.gif

Apr 6, 2006 at 1:48 AM Post #95 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by tennisets
We should have a meet next year when I bring a speaker system
very_evil_smiley.gif

Sweet, sounds awesome. It's a better idea to meet next year too I think, cause I'm busy with my internship at Smith Barney this quarter and I'm shipping off to LA as soon as the quarter ends for an internship out there.

Apr 6, 2006 at 2:47 AM Post #96 of 103
Wow, there are a lot of really intelligent people here!

Colleges I applied to:

University of Maryland- College Park (accepted, top choice)
University of Maryland- Baltimore County (accepted, second choice)
Grove City College (rejected, 3rd choice)
Cedarville University (accepted, 4th choice)

I plan to major in some sort of engineering, possibly computer science, and I may minor in a form of business.

No one from my senior class with 350 students is going on to an ivy league or similar college, largely because we're all poor
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 7, 2006 at 1:33 PM Post #97 of 103
My school is by no means fantastic, this year apparently there was a record-low number of graduates going to 4-year universities (At the moment I just know that though, I'll try to get the statistics later). When my mom went into the guidance office to request they send some documents to Stanford, the lady in the office told her that they haven't had anyone accepted to Stanford for like, 15 years. In truth actually, another girl who was schooled primarily somewhere else got into Stanford on single choice early action this year or something partly because she had insane SAT scores, but thats just a coincidence and not really relevant.

Anyways, in previous years its basically been community college or no college, with a handful of kids going to a SUNY school and only a couple going out of state. A typical graduating class is about 200 kids.

If you don't go to TJHS or Styveson (sp?), don't worry, you still have hope!

Apr 7, 2006 at 8:10 PM Post #98 of 103
My high school graduating class will have, I'm estimating with people who won't graduate, approximately 350 people. I know of 7 people, including myself, going to University of Maryland-College Park. Other colleges include Drexel, Illinois State University, Villa Julie, Catawba, College of Southern Maryland (like 100 people going there since it's nearby), St. Mary's College, University of Maryland-Baltimore County, Florida State University, and more. No one is going to an Ivy League school, largely because we're all poor... or maybe it's cause we're wise? Or both
smily_headphones1.gif
One of my brothers went to Harvard, and he'll tell you that the most important thing he got out of Harvard was the connections. He says he would have been better off to take a full scholarship to University of Maryland-College Park.

On the other hand, now he's a lawyer making over $50/hour
smily_headphones1.gif
I wouldn't say he's very happy though.

Apr 8, 2006 at 5:26 PM Post #99 of 103
Big Three for Me Are:

Brown University
Vanderbilt University
Carnegie Mellon

99% Sure I'm Going to Brown.

Apr 8, 2006 at 6:10 PM Post #100 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by Squibbles
Big Three for Me Are:

Brown University
Vanderbilt University
Carnegie Mellon

99% Sure I'm Going to Brown.

only two people got into brown (to my current knowledge) from my school. Both got in Early decision. A girl is going to yale, and three people are going to harvard. I know this girl who is the president of the school and gets good grades(everyone EXPECTED her to get in) but didn't get in. Another girl, who is a family friend, applied to all Ivy League schools and only got into Cornell
plainface.gif
She was extremely smart too!

Apr 8, 2006 at 8:52 PM Post #101 of 103
Ivy League admissions (or any top school admissions) are total and complete crapshoots. Last year, 4 people went to MIT. This year, no one got in. You cannot predict patterns, trust me on that one. People who would've gotten into top schools five years ago are now being rejected because of increasing competition.

Apr 9, 2006 at 12:22 AM Post #102 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oddball
Ivy League admissions (or any top school admissions) are total and complete crapshoots. Last year, 4 people went to MIT. This year, no one got in. You cannot predict patterns, trust me on that one. People who would've gotten into top schools five years ago are now being rejected because of increasing competition.

Agreed that Ivy League admissions are a strange and interesting being. The way that it works it a bunch of ******** in my opinion and you seriously just can't tell what the heck they want. It's definitely a completely alien process to many who have been in the college biz for years. By the way, MIT isn't ivy.

When I look back at the whole college application process 4 years ago and think of it now, I realize that I'm pretty sure that I wouldn't have gotten into the top schools that I got into it. No Northwestern, No Carleton, No UChicago, etc. I'm positive of it. The competition these days is ridiculous.

Jul 13, 2007 at 8:52 PM Post #103 of 103
HS class of '06
Dartmouth Class of 2010

MIT is probably harder to get into then most Ivy League schools. It might have a higer acceptance than Yale, but MIT students are also much more self-selective. People don't just click MIT on the common app. like they might for Yale.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back