Class of 2006...where are you going?
Apr 2, 2006 at 5:29 AM Post #76 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by muckluck
What kind of high schools do you people go to? I attend a low-budget urban high school and the biggest school anyone gets accepted to is NYU. Most of the time it's either no college or community college. I wish I had a more opprotuned life. I'm applying to NYU NJIT and Rutgers all next year while others here got accepted into Stanford, MIT, and all these other crazy schools. I envy all of you hard workers.

Well, you really put your finger on it with the hard workers bit. Yeah, some of these guys have gone to really prestigious high schools, but here I am, graduating from Penn after Mississippi public high school (trust me, I had it worse). I mean, yeah, if you're at a good high school it gives you a better starting point, but at the end of the day the determining factor is hard work. Who's to say you wouldn't make it into a Penn or a Stanford? You can't know until you try. And with schools doing things like Penn just did and adopting a no-loans policy for lower-income students, why not give it a try?

Apr 2, 2006 at 7:21 AM Post #77 of 103
a lot of people seem to be interested in UMD. i'm in MD, so make an ass of yourself at basketball games, so i get to see you
evil_smiley.gif

anyways, i'm a class of '08, but the place i'm interested in the most is:

Oberlin Conservatory of Music

it's in Ohio. interested in jazz performance and music education. they offer a 5-year, dual-majors program, one in music, one in science, so thats what i'm interested in:-D

Apr 2, 2006 at 3:07 PM Post #78 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by muckluck
What kind of high schools do you people go to?

Upper-middle class suburban high school. Almost everyone here goes to college, but an overwhelming majority of my near 500 person class goes to a state school. Maybe 20 go to a "prestigious school." It's a nice school, but it's no New England boarding school where the counselors have personal relationships with Ivy admissions. I don't know of any legacies here.

Apr 2, 2006 at 3:19 PM Post #79 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oddball
It's a nice school, but it's no New England boarding school where the counselors have personal relationships with Ivy admissions. I don't know of any legacies here.

Do you mean something like Phillips Academy and Phillips Exeter Academy? I know someone that went to Phillips Exeter and he went to UVM and later transferred to Reed College....

Apr 2, 2006 at 6:41 PM Post #80 of 103
Yes, I mean something like that. I mean that my school doesn't have any traditional ties to top schools and doesn't really provide much of an edge in admissions. My school is good, in my opinion, but it isn't on the short list of top high schools in the nation.

Apr 4, 2006 at 12:29 AM Post #82 of 103
So any of you graduating high schoolers thinking of coming to Northwestern (seems some of you have gotten in) to join me and Edward (and any other NUWildcat I may have missed, sorry!)? Would be nice to have a Northwestern Head-Fi Meet sometime next year.

This thread reminds me so much of the time when I was deciding between what colleges to go to. Man that was a stressful time in my life. My younger brother has recently gotten done with the whole process and has decided to go to Yale.

Apr 4, 2006 at 1:06 AM Post #83 of 103
boooooo
nobody wants to go to chico state,san diego state,florida state or arizona state?

man if i had to do it all over again id love to go to one of these schools. Do to financial reasons i had to stay home and play it safe in a commuter school.

Apr 4, 2006 at 2:56 AM Post #84 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by gastro54
Accepted: GA Tech, UNC Chapel Hill, Emory

99% going to UNC Chapel Hill

Gastro --

If you can, go to Emory! Why? Because I go there. :)
I can show you the ropes and good times are aplenty!

Haha, just kidding... Good luck wherever you go.

BANGPOD

Apr 4, 2006 at 3:36 AM Post #87 of 103
Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University - Accepted (Prime choice)
Caltech - Flat out rejected cause I didn't give them my SAT II Math II scores
biggrin.gif

Georgia Tech - Accepted
Virginia Tech - Accepted
Rutgers - Accepted

Apr 5, 2006 at 2:23 PM Post #88 of 103
Wow, just poked my head in here....LOTS of NU people! We definitely need a meet sometime.

I'm one year ahead of you guys, but here's my story:

Engineering major, didn't know at the time but now I'm ECE
Came from a slightly low/perfectly average public high school (compared to some of you folk)
Had the 4.0, 1600, Eagle Scout, drum major, blah blah blah...
Applied to Stanford (top choice), Northwestern (second choice), UConn (scholarship $ and backup), Princeton and Hahvahd (for the hell of it)

I so had my heart set on Stanford...and they gave me the b*tchslap. I applied early, got deferred to regular, then got rejected after all that. I suspect part of it was East Coast White Boy Syndrome (tm), but when you get to this level it's such a crapshoot. Oh, and I also got waitlisted at both the Ivies.

But, NU is the best thing that's happened to me. I truly think it's one of the best all-around college experiences you can get. The engineering is great, but so are all the other departments. As a semi-ish-musician, the opportunities through NUMB, Phi Mu Alpha (music frat), nonmajor classes, etc etc etc are significant. As a sports photographer and now deputy photo editor, I'm getting excellent exposure through the Daily, which just included a gig for The Sporting News that I shot yesteday. As much as people whine about Medildos, the opportunities that school provides are top-notch. And then, capping it all is the Lakefill, the Lake, the skyline, the proximity of Chicago. Sure, you have to deal with winter, but in the end I'll take the environment over Stanford any day.

Duke may be similar in its diversity, but, well, it's Duke. As a diehard college basketball fan, you couldn't pay me 7 figures to go there. Sorry for whoever's going there
580smile.gif

Apr 5, 2006 at 5:48 PM Post #89 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by mateo05
Wow, just poked my head in here....LOTS of NU people! We definitely need a meet sometime.

I'm one year ahead of you guys, but here's my story:

Engineering major, didn't know at the time but now I'm ECE
Came from a slightly low/perfectly average public high school (compared to some of you folk)
Had the 4.0, 1600, Eagle Scout, drum major, blah blah blah...
Applied to Stanford (top choice), Northwestern (second choice), UConn (scholarship $ and backup), Princeton and Hahvahd (for the hell of it)

I so had my heart set on Stanford...and they gave me the b*tchslap. I applied early, got deferred to regular, then got rejected after all that. I suspect part of it was East Coast White Boy Syndrome (tm), but when you get to this level it's such a crapshoot. Oh, and I also got waitlisted at both the Ivies.

But, NU is the best thing that's happened to me. I truly think it's one of the best all-around college experiences you can get. The engineering is great, but so are all the other departments. As a semi-ish-musician, the opportunities through NUMB, Phi Mu Alpha (music frat), nonmajor classes, etc etc etc are significant. As a sports photographer and now deputy photo editor, I'm getting excellent exposure through the Daily, which just included a gig for The Sporting News that I shot yesteday. As much as people whine about Medildos, the opportunities that school provides are top-notch. And then, capping it all is the Lakefill, the Lake, the skyline, the proximity of Chicago. Sure, you have to deal with winter, but in the end I'll take the environment over Stanford any day.

Duke may be similar in its diversity, but, well, it's Duke. As a diehard college basketball fan, you couldn't pay me 7 figures to go there. Sorry for whoever's going there
580smile.gif

similar to what happened to me. Just remember to find a program that fits you even if its not the most prestigious name. go visit the colleges and make sure its waht you want. First Semester Calc is the same at harvard and at chico state. Its all about making sure that you will be able to succeed and also get involved in outside of class activities like clubs, competitions, undergrad research etc etc.

Apr 5, 2006 at 6:02 PM Post #90 of 103
My friend got rejected from BU and Tufts got wait listed at Brandeis, BC, NYU, and got into UMASS and Tulane. I feel so sorry for him since his sister goes to NYU...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back