Class of 2006...where are you going?
Mar 31, 2006 at 4:37 AM Post #46 of 103
Yeah, at the top levels admissions is really a crapshoot. People you think should have made it in don't, and then you end up in classes where you have people that make you think "...and this kid got in how?

Any members here admissions officers at a top university to help clear things up?
evil_smiley.gif

Mar 31, 2006 at 4:42 AM Post #47 of 103
One of my friends from HS got into MIT: 1600 SAT, 36 ACT

But he is VERY brilliant in math. He was the top in the state (top of the state math team) and one of the top at the national level as well. He even wrote math tournaments that were infamously hard.

Mar 31, 2006 at 5:05 AM Post #48 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by Veniogenesis
Y
Haha, I don't get straight A's. I did however get a 2400 on the SAT (the new "1600") and a number of national math team and computer team awards... as well as a tough high school courseload (for example, Differential Equations during senior year) at a magnet school (TJHSST - you can see wikipedia at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tjhsst). I didn't apply to Harvard, Yale or Priceton though.

omg, how did you get a 2400? I get good grades, yet my standardized test is bad (math is excellent, english and writing isn't).

Mar 31, 2006 at 6:01 AM Post #50 of 103
How is life in La Jolla?

I'm thinking about applying to UCSD.

Mar 31, 2006 at 6:41 AM Post #51 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by Teerawit
How is life in La Jolla?

I'm thinking about applying to UCSD.

Excellent.

The research atmosphere is exactly what I wanted; small and familiar, yet high-powered and well-funded. With so many top institutions in close vicinity (Scripps Research Institute, Burnham Institute, Salk, UCSD), it's something of a research Mecca.

The only reason I see for not applying to UCSD is if you're interested in chemistry...Scripps is much stronger in that department. Scripps has its own aspects that I can't go into here....

-Matt

Mar 31, 2006 at 3:03 PM Post #52 of 103
Yeah, elite schools are crazy.

My cousin... perfect SATs, research, leadership, everything, couldn't get into a single ivy. Now he's the director of the LA Symphony Orchestra (or something like that), under the a board of directors which include people like John Williams.

Anyways, as given my elite school record so far, I'm not going to consider Stanford so it's down to three schools:

1. University of Maryland: College Park (+8k a year in the Honors and Gemstones programs)
2. Carnegie Mellon
3. University of Southern California

Oh, and I'm majoring in Electrical Engineering.

Input? Does anyone go to USC? I've yet to hear of anyone here who does. I prefer not a complete party campus but I don't want to be amongst people who do nothing but study. You know, a normal person.

Mar 31, 2006 at 7:16 PM Post #58 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by alexs
Well I officially graduated last year actually, but went back to school for one more semester to update a mark, and also to figure out what I wanted to do. To work full time during the second semester was another big factor.

I already got accepted to Waterloo, York, and Mac.

Probably will go to Waterloo because they have a unique program, as well as co-op. I am going for Chemistry by the way.

Pretty much all universities have some kind of coop program, or at least all the ones in Ontario. I'd just make sure that Waterloo is good for the kind of Chem you want to do

Mar 31, 2006 at 7:26 PM Post #60 of 103
USC has a good medical school and is probably good in research too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back