Class of 2006...where are you going?
Mar 31, 2006 at 2:48 AM Post #33 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oistrakh
Even though I'll be a senior in two years, I'm still scared of college admissions. I know this kid that got all As in everything, was the president of robotics club, did lots of sports, that didn't get accepted into MIt.

Theres a crapload more than that you have to do

Really a 4.0 gpa means some but not a lot unless you come from a well known high school.

More importantly are your SAT/ACT scores, extra outside school crap (projects for science, history, writing), and of course sports.

And MIT is hard as hell to get in. My cousin went there.

Im a sophmore so i have to cram as much crap in right now

Studying for SAT/ACT, preparing for a huge history day contest next year (got 4th in the nation in 9th grade for years 9-12), and hopefully will work in the university this summer, while playing club soccer.

Mar 31, 2006 at 2:54 AM Post #34 of 103
I applied to:

Virginia Tech
University of Delaware
James Madison University
West Chester University
Penn State

and I got accepted to all of them.

I will most likely be going to VPI, but we will be visiting there, Delaware, and Penn State for good measure. I've actually been to VPI and JMU once already.

Mar 31, 2006 at 3:04 AM Post #35 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by Echo_
Studying for SAT/ACT, preparing for a huge history day contest next year (got 4th in the nation in 9th grade for years 9-12), and hopefully will work in the university this summer, while playing club soccer.

hmmm....Are you talking about National History Day? I did that last year and I hated it. I went to districts. I'm not doing it this year THANKFULLY!

Mar 31, 2006 at 3:05 AM Post #36 of 103
Quote:

Really a 4.0 gpa means some but not a lot unless you come from a well known high school.

More importantly are your SAT/ACT scores, extra outside school crap (projects for science, history, writing), and of course sports.

Well I do know someone that got Bs (lowest was 84) and still got into MIT...

Mar 31, 2006 at 3:08 AM Post #37 of 103
Guys, just come to Maryland: College Park. Screw the Ivies, come have some fun and save some money!
evil_smiley.gif

freshman at UMD
580smile.gif

Mar 31, 2006 at 3:16 AM Post #39 of 103
Yay! I got into Duke as well, apparently.
eek.gif
All of my colleges have therefore replied. Awesome.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oistrakh
Wow do you get liek straight As? Did you apply to Harvard/Yale/Princeton?

Haha, I don't get straight A's. I did however get a 2400 on the SAT (the new "1600") and a number of national math team and computer team awards... as well as a tough high school courseload (for example, Differential Equations during senior year) at a magnet school (TJHSST - you can see wikipedia at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tjhsst). I didn't apply to Harvard, Yale or Priceton though.

Mar 31, 2006 at 3:42 AM Post #40 of 103
I'm on the graduate school page...

Accepted:
MIT (MS)
Stanford (MS)
Carnegie Mellon (PhD)
Johns Hopkins (PhD)

MIT and Stanford don't have a BS->PhD program, so funding is much harder (and apparently I'm not one of the 'super prospective' students who are guaranteed funding for MS). I'm aiming for PhD in mechanical engineering, focusing in robotics and control systems. Probably going to stay here at CMU (full funding+stipend, great advisor, familiarity).

Nice to start being paid to go to school for a change
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 31, 2006 at 3:48 AM Post #41 of 103
Damn, TJHSST - hats off to you, that's a tough tough school. So where do you think it'll be for you?

CMU is a great college for engineering - but your other choices are much stronger in areas outside of engineering - and let's face it, your major does not a complete college experience make. In the end though, choosing a campus is like choosing headphones, only with higher stakes - you've got to find the campus that's right for you.

Mar 31, 2006 at 4:13 AM Post #44 of 103
I'm going to Purdue West Lafayette and will be majoring in synaptic meteorology (weather forecasting, I love my big fancy words). Won't be too close to home, but won't be too far either.

Mar 31, 2006 at 4:32 AM Post #45 of 103
Quote:

A guy at my school (class of 2004) was rejected from MIT, he had a 4.0 like his whole life (no weighted stuff at NA) and 1600 on the SAT, he was in all kinds of clubs and stuff. It really boggles the mind.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back