CK10 + ER-4 = UE700 custom IEM project + drivers.
Aug 23, 2011 at 4:59 AM Post #16 of 60

Quote:
The CK10 uses TWFK, but I won't be using the CK10 I just used that in the title of this thread to convey the IDEA.

Why will the bass become sad and dejected?? If the bass isn't sad and dejected in the ER-4 or the CK10 as it is, why will it suddenly become sad in a custom??
frown.gif

I'm really not getting that, and everyone seems to think the same thing.

Maybe because if you have salty dish and add more salt it becomes more salty?

I'm not saying you sould ask UM to make you Mage from you drivers since UM won't do it or charge you regularly. I didn't research what drivers UM uses I just know it :)

If you want to combine CK10 and ER4 - simply don't do it unless you want more highs from your CK10 or you want to sacrifice great TWFK mid-treble performace just to have some bass from ED driver.
Just to make my point - both drivers has different impedances so creating crossover would be PITA resulting in one of above. If you want both drivers working whole spectrum it wont work either f.e due to phase shifts.

Now you saying you wont be using CK10 and I'm lost - it seems I did loose the point here.

Aug 23, 2011 at 6:01 AM Post #17 of 60

Quote:

Now you saying you wont be using CK10 and I'm lost - it seems I did loose the point here.

I'll be using TWFK, why should I buy a CK10 for $270 just to destroy it and salvage the TWFK..?

Quote:
Maybe because if you have salty dish and add more salt it becomes more salty?

I'm not saying you sould ask UM to make you Mage from you drivers since UM won't do it or charge you regularly. I didn't research what drivers UM uses I just know it :)

If you want to combine CK10 and ER4 - simply don't do it unless you want more highs from your CK10 or you want to sacrifice great TWFK mid-treble performace just to have some bass from ED driver.
Just to make my point - both drivers has different impedances so creating crossover would be PITA resulting in one of above. If you want both drivers working whole spectrum it wont work either f.e due to phase shifts.

Ok, please explain the bolded sections in more detail if you're so certain of this then!

Aug 23, 2011 at 8:00 PM Post #18 of 60
Kiteki, as far as I understand, practically every audio company in the world that uses balanced armature drivers in their IEMs goes to great expense specially tuning and/or customizing their driver(s) and driver setups, trying to produce a unique sound (brand) signature and/or to get better sound out of the driver(s). This would explain the great differences in sound signatures and technicalities between the volumes of headphones on the market that utilize similar drivers. While it may be common knowledge that both the CK10 and the UE700 share Knowles TWFK driver shells and technologies, the insides of the driver may vary greatly, each lending themselves to different sound signatures and technicalities.

In short, I doubt that you are going to get CK10 sound out of a UE700 driver.

Aug 24, 2011 at 2:07 AM Post #19 of 60
I'm currently using a true "Custom" IEM :)
ER4 for High/Mid and CI-22955 for Mid/Bass

They sound quite stunning and I like them a lot. They have more of a UM1 sound rather than ER4 sound. Very very mid orientated with recessed treble and tight bass. The bass is +10db, which is just right for my liking, not like the excessive bass in JH audio ones I tried. I loved the massive soundstage and great instrument separation it had. However, treble extension and bass extension are quite poor IMO. I would like to add a super tweeter or sub bass driver if I get the chance...but the 1 month waiting time is putting me off. 2 different IEMs merged together might give you a completely different sound like mine did.

I hope this information helps.

Aug 24, 2011 at 3:09 AM Post #20 of 60
Xymordos - Which IEM's did you merge? Or is it just a custom IEM that uses the CI-22955 along with the ED-29689? As I know there are such models.
Thanks for you comment on it's sound though, it's resourceful.

Original Dolt -
Quote:
Kiteki, as far as I understand, practically every audio company in the world that uses balanced armature drivers in their IEMs goes to great expense specially tuning and/or customizing their driver(s) and driver setups, trying to produce a unique sound (brand) signature and/or to get better sound out of the driver(s). This would explain the great differences in sound signatures and technicalities between the volumes of headphones on the market that utilize similar drivers. While it may be common knowledge that both the CK10 and the UE700 share Knowles TWFK driver shells and technologies, the insides of the driver may vary greatly, each lending themselves to different sound signatures and technicalities.

In short, I doubt that you are going to get CK10 sound out of a UE700 driver.

Thanks for your opinion, can you back this up or further enlighten me with any links, or information on how a balanced armature driver is tuned/customized? I could write an essay that all TWFK drivers sound the same, but without any technical backing or source references it would be just as equally invalid as the above statement IMHO.

Aug 24, 2011 at 5:55 AM Post #21 of 60
Kiteki - please find a thread here on head-fi called Home made IEM I believe that thread would be sourceful and answer most of your questions.

The line you have bolded - should I present you freq response graphs calcuate x-o points and so one...? ED and TWFK are mid-high dedicated drivers - thas all. While ED driver has different impedance DC, impedance vs frequency and spl output than TWFK there's high possibility that sound from combined ED+TWFK will end up with recessed mids. Or there's chance on reducing bass output to mach TWFK without recessing mids by adding resistance in series. This mean your IEMs wont be easy to drive.
As for phase shifts - google it.

Check Knowles Acoustic website for references

@Original Dolt - UE700 q-jays and CK10 has the same TWFK driver with different crossover point and passive filter (damper) The inside motor of the drivers are the same. Basically you are able to achieve CK10 from UE700 but you need to change x-o, filter and put UE700 in CK10 shell. Bear in mind that silicone or acryl "has different sound". That said you can't expect that CK10 and reshelled CK10 will sound the same. There will be still some minor sound differences.

Aug 24, 2011 at 8:44 AM Post #22 of 60
I had an ER4 and added a bass driver to it. I'm not sure how it is tuned, but the crossover is very important.

Also, Chinese CM companies often can tune certain UE and JH CMs out of many different drivers and IEMs you provide them. So yes, different drivers can achieve a similar sound

Aug 24, 2011 at 9:32 AM Post #23 of 60
Xymordos - Please tell me more about Chinese CM's and JH, I haven't seen seen those two in the same sentence ever! (talking about erji.net as well here).

Piotrus-g - thanks for your informative post but I still don't buy that ER-4 and TWFK are "dedicated mid and high drivers, that's all", since the CK10 (in this instance) has high quality bass and even sub-bass, with a linear presentation. I don't need JH16 bass, and I don't want the bass to dominate the spectrum which is what happened to Xymordos in his reshelling project!
The CK10 has very good bass I just don't buy it that I need to use a CI-22955 and everyone keeps insisting on that particular driver, not just in this thread but custom IEM companies in a couple emails I've sent as well, why? Why CI-22955?

You don't need to present FR graphs however that would be quite useful yes? As for crossovers there are passive crossovers and hard crossovers of the 2nd order (whatever the h3ll that is) but I don't think a custom IEM designer will like me if I start going into that level of detail.

If the q-Jays, CK10 and UE700 (<- I've heard all of these, btw) all use different crossovers, that is news to me, if that's the case then I think I understand more what this whole "tuning" thing is that everyone keeps repeating without going into any detail whatsoever - it's a crossover along with a damper, right..? Like you said in your reply to Original Dolt, the "motor" inside the q-Jays, CK10 and UE700 is exactly identical, and there is only one version of TWFK, there's not multiple versions a custom IEM company has tried to trick me with that already claiming they use a "unique" version of the TWFK, my reaction to that is they have slightly higher profit margins on their original custom IEM products than they have on reshelling, which is perfectly fine (and I don't think they're very keen on reshelling sometimes, since not every universal IEM is that easy to take apart, there is this extra process involved for them).

For "tuning", a valid example for me would be the MDR-E888, there is the diaphragm, the metal grille, a thin ricepaper like filter, a plastic shell, and then a foamy on top... that is 4 components between the diaphragm and the human ear, that is what I call "tuning" I suppose, however there's nothing really being tuned (as in, like a Piano) it's just altering the sound and FR response.

For silicone and acryl having different sound, I think that is only in relation to the silicone and acryl resting in our inner ear, which will create a different resonance, you skipped the sound-tube part, the sound-tube is also important, in the case of the CK10 the driver is sending the sound along a titanium nozzle, which is known for having a positive acoustic resonance, if you reshell the CK10 into a custom IEM the sound will be travelling down a [insert material here] nozzle, which will alter the sound.
One valid case is Starkey, they have a patented material they use for their sound tubes which they believe is better than the standard-issue sound tubes, and this might explain how they've achieved such a high quality sound in for instance their Starkey SA-43, not to mention you can turn drivers on/off at will, I wish I knew the technical details behind that but it does tell me one thing and that is that the synergy between the different drivers in their flagship product isn't of high importance to achieve an overall good sound, since all interactions with the switches still result in a good sound, unless I'm missing something here, it's really outside of my project so I don't intend on sending an email to Starkey and pestering them with how their switches work Lol.

Anyway as for the different "tuning" (I don't like this term now, I'll call it altering) between the q-Jays, UE700 and CK10, yes... the CK10 has achieved the highest level of altering the sound of the TWFK driver, however having heard all of them I still think they are pretty close, and it's the fundamental sound of the TWFK that is vital, in the case of the UE700 the mids and highs (as to my preference) are in a sense almost exceeding the CK10, actually I prefer the mids of the UE700, and I think the highs are a bit airier (it seems like they shifted the spike from 10kHz up to 12khz?) however I do prefer the bass and sub-bass of the CK10, not that that is relevant here, if I use the UE700 driver as the mids/highs driver, and something else as the bass driver.
I really don't think I need a super-tweeter, that's excessive for the UE700, but would be kinda.. interesting... a 12kHz and 16kHz spike? Lol.

Aug 24, 2011 at 10:33 AM Post #24 of 60
Actually mine didn't sound like there was too much bass. It was still very very mid centric. The bass was very tight and did not bleed. Sometimes I wished there was more, because there was actually not a lot of added bass :\

Aug 24, 2011 at 11:33 AM Post #25 of 60

Quote:
The CK10 has very good bass I just don't buy it that I need to use a CI-22955 and everyone keeps insisting on that particular driver, not just in this thread but custom IEM companies in a couple emails I've sent as well, why? Why CI-22955?

Noone's insisting. I said CI, DTEC or 3300 you can throw 2015 as well. Why? Because CI and 2000 are the biggest armature drivers in the world with the output of more than 120dB @ 50Hz. TWFK has like 85-90dB? CI is old but very solid performer. Punctual and fast yet detailed and textured bass. 3300 gives more texture and drive but lacks CI's speed.

Quote:
but I still don't buy that ER-4 and TWFK are "dedicated mid and high drivers, that's all"

Yeah, maybe I didn't make myself clear enough. TWFK and ED are very good wide band transducers. They are good if you're creating small universals or budget customs. However in profesional use or 3 way configuration those drivers performs their best with reduced output to certain frequency. The same goes to the rest of drivers. CI performs best up to 800Hz, DTEC is best known for mids while it has good bas either, WBFK is the best for super-tweeter aplication.

BA tuning is quite similar as dynamic but changes are more noticable with BA. Vast BA doesn't need rear shell venting while most of dynamics does. In tuning or altering if you want BA is important even how much air is before and after a damper. It's not a rocket sience but it takes time.
Oh and btw don't get confused - you can tune drivers by changing interiors of driver, shells and diaphragms.

In IEM you can only use passive crossovers (unless you want to carry JH3A). Those passive crossovers are more HPF or LPF - they can be 1st,2nd and 3rd order it depends on what sound you want. It also has to do with phase shifts.

Aug 24, 2011 at 1:19 PM Post #26 of 60
Yes, the above post is more succinct.

Now, let's pretend for a moment I let go of ER-4 thinking, and send my UE700 and ear impressions away, and ask them to add drivers, let's say 1, 2 or 3 per side.

I can't just say "add drivers, do you best"... well I could but... what do guys think, given this alternative?

i.e. in my wildest dreams, what can I do with a UE700 reshell?

Aug 24, 2011 at 2:58 PM Post #27 of 60

Quote:
I can't just say "add drivers, do you best"... well I could but... what do guys think, given this alternative?  

i.e. in my wildest dreams, what can I do with a UE700 reshell?

Oh, I thought that most of their customers does this

UE + 1driver = UM3w (3way) CI added
UE + 2 drivers - 2CI or Sonion 3300 added
UE + 3 drivers - 1 CI + DTEC added

That's the most probable combination.
Though you could ask for another TWFK instead of DTEC if you'd like to have brighter mids and less forward sound.

If you want to go wild - make 3300 + DTEC + UE's TWFK :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back