CK10 + ER-4 = UE700 custom IEM project + drivers.
Aug 22, 2011 at 4:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 60

kiteki

aka Theta Alpha 1
aka Alpha Zeta 5
aka Alpha Zeta 6
aka Nanocat Systems
And many other aliases

Hi,

I'm thinking about combining the CK10 and ER-4 into a single custom IEM, the CK-4.

In other words, the Knowles TWFK along with the ED-29689.

I have two alternatives in mind, and then sub-alternatives.

a) TWFK + sub-bass driver + super-tweeter.

b) TWFK + ED-29689.

ver.1 - TWFK + ED-29689 working in unison.
ver.2 - TWFK low-end, 29689 high-end.
ver.3 - 29689 low-end, TWFK high-end.

The CK10 and ER-4 are both famous, very good IEM's, so I want to combine them like what happened in the movie "The Fly" from 1986, what do you guys think?

Thx.

Aug 22, 2011 at 10:25 AM Post #6 of 60
Hmmmm or the CK10000 with a blue titanium faceplate?

I've emailed several custom IEM manufacturers and only found one that is willing to do it so far, however not completely verified yet. One of them replied the ER-4 and CK10 won't sound very good and they insisted I combine the TWFK with one or two CI-22955's for the bass, silly people, what's so 'custom' if I can't customize the internals? Haha.

Aug 22, 2011 at 5:47 PM Post #9 of 60
In my honest opinion that's not going to work.

See, TWFK is best known for mids and highs and so is ED. Both aren't bass dedictated drivers.
However if you insist on using those two I'd go CI22955 for lows or dualdriver like 3300, TWFK for mids and ED for highs, though UM would probably switch ED for mids and TWFK for highs. ED extends more and it has more egde on the high end but it can be quite too harsh.

As for me I'd use only one earphone for customs. More isn't always better - keep that in mid. CI + TWFK (3way) reshelled by UM sound outstanding, belive me. If you whant more punch on lows with preserving ER4 accuracy, reshell your ED with 3300 or DTEC in 2way or even CI would give you precise and dynamic bass response.

Aug 22, 2011 at 5:52 PM Post #10 of 60
ugh..  if you do this, can I have your empty left over CK10 housings?  I'll pay you... something...

either way, have you tried to just put custom made eartips on a CK10?  might just add something to the sound you've been missing..

Aug 22, 2011 at 11:45 PM Post #11 of 60
I think that it's not going to be great. A huge amount of work goes into designing good sounding IEM's, it seems to me like you're just throwing a few ingredients together to see what happens.

It's a lot of money to spend, if the end product sounds BAD. Why not just buy a set of proven custom IEM's? If you like UM, the UM Areo is a 3 driver, 2 way.

Aug 22, 2011 at 11:48 PM Post #12 of 60
Lol, you ears might bleed from the treble T_T

Not sure if the CK10 uses a dual BA with crossover though. Might not be TWFK. Not sure, just a thought. In any case, having 2 and 1 drivers known for their treble and clarity will surely make the bass feel kinda sad and dejected.

Aug 23, 2011 at 12:23 AM Post #13 of 60

Quote:
In my honest opinion that's not going to work.

See, TWFK is best known for mids and highs and so is ED. Both aren't bass dedictated drivers.
However if you insist on using those two I'd go CI22955 for lows or dualdriver like 3300, TWFK for mids and ED for highs, though UM would probably switch ED for mids and TWFK for highs. ED extends more and it has more egde on the high end but it can be quite too harsh.

As for me I'd use only one earphone for customs. More isn't always better - keep that in mid. CI + TWFK (3way) reshelled by UM sound outstanding, belive me. If you whant more punch on lows with preserving ER4 accuracy, reshell your ED with 3300 or DTEC in 2way or even CI would give you precise and dynamic bass response.

So basically you've researched which drivers UM use, and you advised me to send my custom to UM for reshelling and say "make me a UM Mage", sure, I can do that! and save quite a bit of cash doing so as well, I mean compared to the price of their UM Mage, but I think you're missing the point here..? :wink:

Quote:
ugh..  if you do this, can I have your empty left over CK10 housings?  I'll pay you... something...

either way, have you tried to just put custom made eartips on a CK10?  might just add something to the sound you've been missing..

I won't be cutting up a CK10 and ER-4S, that's just silly, I'm using them in the title of the project just to convey the idea of the sound I'm after if I go ahead with that combination, they're both flagship products that have been around for a long time, however I'll be sourcing the TWFK driver from the UE700, and there's cheaper sources for the ER-4S driver as well.

I noticed you made a thread a while ago where you wanted to repair or mod CK10's, I can't find it now? I think that's a good idea and it's a great IEM, but people aren't very keen on importing a dual-driver IEM from Japan for $270 these days, as is evidenced by the J-phonic which only three or four people on head-fi have owned (including myself), they'd rather get a cheaper dual-driver like the UE700 or the Brainwavs B2, and it makes sense, the UE700 sounds good, especially in the mids and highs! Not quite on the same level as CK10 in the bass though. I think your project to create custom cables for the CK10 or give it a paint job and so on will be difficult, but who knows? good luck :wink:

Quote:
I think that it's not going to be great. A huge amount of work goes into designing good sounding IEM's, it seems to me like you're just throwing a few ingredients together to see what happens.

It's a lot of money to spend, if the end product sounds BAD. Why not just buy a set of proven custom IEM's? If you like UM, the UM Areo is a 3 driver, 2 way.

Because that's very boring, and missing the point a  little bit.

Aug 23, 2011 at 12:28 AM Post #14 of 60

Quote:
Lol, you ears might bleed from the treble T_T

Not sure if the CK10 uses a dual BA with crossover though. Might not be TWFK. Not sure, just a thought. In any case, having 2 and 1 drivers known for their treble and clarity will surely make the bass feel kinda sad and dejected.

The CK10 uses TWFK, but I won't be using the CK10 I just used that in the title of this thread to convey the IDEA.

Why will the bass become sad and dejected?? If the bass isn't sad and dejected in the ER-4 or the CK10 as it is, why will it suddenly become sad in a custom??
frown.gif

I'm really not getting that, and everyone seems to think the same thing.

Aug 23, 2011 at 12:48 AM Post #15 of 60

Quote:

The CK10 uses TWFK, but I won't be using the CK10 I just used that in the title of this thread to convey the IDEA.

Why will the bass become sad and dejected?? If the bass isn't sad and dejected in the ER-4 or the CK10 as it is, why will it suddenly become sad in a custom??
frown.gif

I'm really not getting that, and everyone seems to think the same thing.

I don't.
redface.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back