Circumaural Grados!
Feb 7, 2005 at 1:36 AM Post #31 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by cmanc
Do I see a hand up? why yes, the gentlemen with the winking eye has graciously volunteered.
tongue.gif

My lack of credit card or paypal account precludes me from such an action
wink.gif
How about you do it Mr sarcasm!
biggrin.gif
evil_smiley.gif
(We need a circumaural grado smiley!)

Feb 7, 2005 at 1:44 AM Post #32 of 85
Heh. Maybe I could if there's a big enough saving in doing it. Obviously any Aussie head-fiers who is planning a trip to the US in the near future could pick some up and it'll probably work out cheaper. I'm also thinking about a recable aswell.

Feb 7, 2005 at 2:37 AM Post #33 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cthulhu
My lack of credit card or paypal account precludes me from such an action
wink.gif

Too bad.. they look pretty good on you
tongue.gif

Cthulhu_Grados.jpg

Feb 7, 2005 at 3:37 AM Post #36 of 85
I've heard the Grados are very comfortable after a few weaks of breaking in. They could also use a pad on the headband, which isn't hard at all to remedy.

Feb 7, 2005 at 3:48 AM Post #37 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by rogerlee
My fear, though, is that this will sacrifice bass response for comfort...

NOT...

Feb 7, 2005 at 4:58 AM Post #40 of 85
LTUCCI1924: If you do end up with circumaural Grados and keep them for more than a month I will be completely shocked.

If Larry can make circumaural Grados, why can't Grado Labs make them?

Feb 7, 2005 at 5:23 AM Post #42 of 85
grado's sound best with bowl pads
flat pads make them sound worse too me, way bloated bass, driver way too close to ear (hearing damage anyone), and comfort is still supraaural and not that much better then bowls
these cirumaural pads will probably make the grado's sound worse yet. there has to be a good reason why grado designed these pads the way they did. but lets see... don't trust other peoples reviews you have to try it yourself, one man's bread and butter is anothers empty plate

Feb 7, 2005 at 6:02 AM Post #43 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aman
Nope, you bought it quite fair
smily_headphones1.gif

Enjoy them, by the way!
biggrin.gif
Any time soon we'd see those with the new pads?

nope I like bowls occasionally switching to flats. Anyway I am planning an experiment it involves taking the PS-1 drivers and placing them in hp-2 cups or rs-1 cups and then connecting to a nice tube amp to go with my new source.

Feb 7, 2005 at 6:48 AM Post #44 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by dano1122
these cirumaural pads will probably make the grado's sound worse yet.

way to judge a book by its cover.

Larry knows what he is doing. He's not an amateur to this field. He'll do his best to find a middle ground between comfort and sound.

Feb 7, 2005 at 7:11 AM Post #45 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by dano1122
these cirumaural pads will probably make the grado's sound worse yet. there has to be a good reason why grado designed these pads the way they did. but lets see... don't trust other peoples reviews you have to try it yourself, one man's bread and butter is anothers empty plate

Not at all. Circumaural earpads make Grado sounds differently, especially soundstage. You can feel fullness of the presented soundstage The sound is less airy, which is an obvious difference between circum and supra aural sound. There is not big impact on Grado typical forwardness. Hence the design of inner part of the circumaural pads is tricky. You need to experiment a lot to find a synergy between bass, midrange and highs. Circumaural pads with materials of less porosity/more reflection make bass of Grado more bloated and tame highs a lot. A combination of foam layers and material leads to the superior sound than bowls and flats could provide.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back