Circumaural Grados!
Feb 7, 2005 at 4:00 PM Post #61 of 85
Thanks for your suggestions bg4533.

I don't have problems with the headband (actually I did bend it quite a lot and it helped a bit). I don't know why, but it seems like I'm alergic or something because my ears become red after just a while (around one or two hours, it is even worse while moving). I like the sound for some music though, so I end some days using some kind of skin product after my sessions. I think this is not normal, but I don't know what to do.

I'm going to order some Senn 414 pads in order to see if it is a problem with the Grados material (on me) for some reason.

I'm a bit afraid about to place the Grados drivers in other cans as this might affect the sound. Besides, I like this mid-size form factor, almost portable. I even like the retro look (metal or wood. Not that much on plastic). I'll try first for a change in the material of the pad. I suppose the Senns 414 pads are my only choise (materialwise) at the moment.

If I find some alternatives I will post them. Thanks for your suggestions.

Cheers.

Feb 7, 2005 at 5:33 PM Post #62 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nomad
That's too bad. I should invent some velour/lambskin flat pads for Grados and become rich by selling them

Although it shouldn't be that difficult to cover grado's pads du jour with velour ala hd25, the pressure to ear is still gonna be too much for long listening period.

Feb 7, 2005 at 6:40 PM Post #63 of 85
I think the full size mod by headphile is a good prototype but can be improved, especially in the "looks" department.

I would start by sticking to the bowl pad shape but add a bit more inner diameter to attain circumaural fit. Then I´d try to experiment with different porosity foams and cover materials to find a good blend between frequency response, soundstage and comfort.

I think with the right material mix, the pressure problem becomes negligeble.

I have a bunch of different foams sitting here, from which I can cut the bowls. Will try to get my hands on various materials to cover them with. As I said before I suspect it needs to be a comfortable thin/meshy material to allow airflow. May take a while until I get something presentable and listenable done. Will post if anything materializes.

Cheers

M

Feb 7, 2005 at 7:11 PM Post #64 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by mattigol
I would start by sticking to the bowl pad shape but add a bit more inner diameter to attain circumaural fit.

I don't know you, but even with additional material taken out of the inside wall, bowls would still not fit around my ears. The outside diameter of those pads is simply smaller than that of my ears. Am I missing something? Perhaps you can clarify? Thanks!

Feb 7, 2005 at 7:13 PM Post #65 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by highflyin9
That's what I was thinking but I'm sure Larry is well aware that the spacing between the driver and ear is critical so it's probably nothing to worry about.

I Agree. I don't know Larry and I'm fairly new around here, but I've been reading a lot of posts from here in the last 3 months (and I mean A LOT
biggrin.gif
) and I did read excellent reviews and comments about the sound quality of the mods from Larry (that woody 225 rated above RS-1 or MSP, for example), so I don't expect bad sound from these circumaural Grados at all. If that was the case, I don't think Larry would post about these on his site.

Actually I was about to buy those. I did browse the site on Saturday and I saw the reference to these circumaural (but no link yet) so I came again on Sunday because I was really interested and the link was there. I'm still quite excited about these.

At the end I was looking for a comfy mid-sized Grados on the go, so I didn't buy them but you don't know how close I was.
icon10.gif

Cheers

Feb 7, 2005 at 7:16 PM Post #66 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by BRBJackson
I don't know you, but even with additional material taken out of the inside wall, bowls would still not fit around my ears. The outside diameter of those pads is simply smaller than that of my ears. Am I missing something? Perhaps you can clarify? Thanks!

Same here, I'm afraid the way taken for Larry, increasing the outside diameter is the way to go. I prefer to think that to think I have BIG ears.

Feb 7, 2005 at 7:18 PM Post #67 of 85
I think that the 'Darth Grados' sort of look like they are AKG headphones... all they need is a shiney metal ring.
biggrin.gif

Feb 7, 2005 at 7:21 PM Post #68 of 85
I think Larry's on the right track here, I always liked the Grado sound but could never put up with how uncomfortable they were. With this mod I just might buy a pair of MS-2's.

Feb 7, 2005 at 7:24 PM Post #69 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox
I think that the 'Darth Grados' sort of look like they are AKG headphones... all they need is a shiney metal ring.
biggrin.gif

You are definitely a Team AKG member, philodox.
k1000smile.gif

Feb 7, 2005 at 7:34 PM Post #70 of 85
Quote:

You are definitely a Team AKG member, philodox.
k1000smile.gif

Founding Member, President and Treasurer of the order of Silver Ring.
wink.gif

Feb 7, 2005 at 7:42 PM Post #71 of 85
hmmm. i definitely see myself getting a set of these when i upgrado (after the cd3000's, beyer dt880's and an sacd player). why can't i stop buying headphones and accessories? is there something wrong with me? none of my other hobbies have been this bad
frown.gif

Feb 7, 2005 at 7:50 PM Post #72 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nak Man
Founding Member, President and Treasurer of the order of the Silver Ring.

heh... speaking of 'the order of the Silver Ring', I almost bought another AKG with a similar styling to the K271S and the K340. But I didnt think it would be smart to pay $50+ for a headphone that I know nothing about.

Feb 7, 2005 at 7:56 PM Post #73 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox
But I didnt think it would be smart to pay $50+ for a headphone that I know nothing about.

Mmmm, a rational way of thinking from a Head-fi member while evaluating the purchase of a new headphone.

Interesting.
biggrin.gif

Feb 7, 2005 at 8:04 PM Post #74 of 85
Quote:

Mmmm, a rational way of thinking from a Head-fi member while evaluating the purchase of a new headphone. Interesting.

LOL... Well it would have cost me too much... after all I would have had to send them to Larry to have them recabled.
wink.gif

Feb 7, 2005 at 8:10 PM Post #75 of 85
I ordered a pair of MS-1s, but if the pads cost more than $50 I don't think it would make sense for me to get them....especially if its only a subtle change.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back