chosing tube amp?
Aug 17, 2011 at 9:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

darked59

New Head-Fier
hi, im new on this website and with amp, i have a pair of hd 650, when i looked  for the first time for a amps, i ended my choice on the portable arrow 12he 4g, from i what i saw the shipping was for june/july, and we are in august... got kind of bored and after looking about tube amp. i found 2 tube amp, Little Dot MARK IV and darkvoice black dv (price range is 300$), the problem is that im using a mp3 ( yp-m1) i can see the line for headphone but for the mp3... is there any tube amp that can handle the hd650 with a input for mp3? or is there something i can do to plug my mp3 on the amp?

Aug 18, 2011 at 1:57 AM Post #2 of 6
Welcome to Head-Fi, one of the most diverse and dynamic forums where much knowledge is shared that can help one build that dream system and more closely connect with the music.

You should be able to use either of these amps with no problem. Simply purchase a standard 1/8in to RCA Stereo cable and you are good to go.

I think this a logical way to approach things, you can't appreciate or even use a good DAC or CD Player until you have an amp.

I can't seem to find the input sensitivity, or many other specs for that matter, on the importer's website. But most amps conform to a somewhat standard 2 volts for full output.

So while the MP3 player would not be the ideal longterm match to realize the amp or phones full potential, it will still sounds worlds better than straight out of the player with no amp.

Lastly, I don't know how you acquire your music: CD's imported yourself or buying music online. If you rip you own CD's try to use a lossless encoding medium. You don't want to leave musical information on the table from the very beginning.

I don't have a lot of direct experience with either of these amps but I tend to prefer the circuit topology and tubes of the Darkvoice;It is very similar to the Woo Audio WA3.

The Woo lists for $495 but you might be able to find one on the For Sale forums for a bit less.

Enjoy your journey!

Aug 18, 2011 at 3:38 AM Post #3 of 6
Ive also been looking at some of the little dot amps, if you have an ipod you could find a 3.5mm - RCA or iPod - RCA cable that should work? (im not sure i have never tried it :S maybe someone could answer this for me?)

Aug 18, 2011 at 5:19 PM Post #4 of 6

yesterday i decided to go with with darkvoice 336 se, from what i read it a good amp, and i found that moon audio make mini to rca in blue dragon ( my headphone cable is blue dragon) the sound should be nice.

my music is mp3 format 320 kbp, got most of my music from itune, i could probably get them into flac or hoter format with help of program

Quote:
So while the MP3 player would not be the ideal longterm match to realize the amp or phones full potential, it will still sounds worlds better than straight out of the player with no amp.

what would be better than the mp3? isnt the yp-m1 a good mp3?

Aug 19, 2011 at 8:56 AM Post #5 of 6

Quote:

yesterday i decided to go with with darkvoice 336 se, from what i read it a good amp, and i found that moon audio make mini to rca in blue dragon ( my headphone cable is blue dragon) the sound should be nice.

my music is mp3 format 320 kbp, got most of my music from itune, i could probably get them into flac or hoter format with help of program

what would be better than the mp3? isnt the yp-m1 a good mp3?

do not upconvert your 320kbps mp3 to flac...

either re-rip your songs from cd straight into flac or download them

your m1 is good as a mp3, but what vinyllp33 meant is that its SQ is still not as good as if you lineout from your pc, something like dac > amp > phones

Aug 19, 2011 at 6:12 PM Post #6 of 6
so pc dac is the hightest sound quality. that something ill try get later,  for geting my music in flac... it not all music that can be bought in flac or even in cd, like for andy blueman (cant find cd), but  i got my music from itune, are they at full quality when bought? cos i could get them in flac.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back