Chord Mojo issue solutions thread.
Apr 7, 2018 at 11:39 PM Post #841 of 1,085
Good day for every one!
I bought Mojo one week ago. I like it but I have a question about sound quality. I would like to know whether it is my device has some issue with sound.
Some background: I have a musical education, play accordion and had a part in international music contests in Junior, and can hear some difference in sound. I use headphones Meze 99. I use my Mojo with iPhone SE and Onkyo HF Player, also I tried Mojo with my Mac and JRiver.

There real difference between sound from 3.5mm headphone port without Mojo and from Lightning port with Mojo.

However here is the issue: I have bought one of my favorite album “Hans Zimmer - the Classics” on HDTracks in 24-bit / 96 kHz quality. Also I took mp3 version of this album from Google play. Then set a number of tracks in pairs by mp3 and 24/96 quality in my HF Player. By listening these pairs lots of times I can say that they sound absolutely identical in my ear.
Mojo has changed the light color from red to green during changing the resolution but sound identically to me.

Could anyone please advice me what might be the reason of this issue? Should I test my Mojo in some different way?

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2018 at 1:47 AM Post #842 of 1,085
Good day for every one!
I bought Mojo one week ago. I like it but I have a question about sound quality. I would like to know whether it is my device has some issue with sound.
Some background: I have a musical education and can hear some difference in sound. I use headphones Meze 99. I use my Mojo with iPhone SE and Onkyo HF Player, also I tried Mojo with my Mac and JRiver.

There real difference between sound from 3.5mm headphone port without Mojo and from Lightning port with Mojo.

However here is the issue: I have bought one of my favorite album “Hans Zimmer - the Classics” on HDTracks in 24-bit / 96 kHz quality. Also I took mp3 version of this album from Google play. Then set a number of tracks in pairs by mp3 and 24/96 quality in my HF Player. By listening these pairs lots of times I can say that they sound absolutely identical in my ear.
Mojo has changed the light color from red to green during changing the resolution but sound identically to me.

Could anyone please advice me what might be the reason of this issue? Should I test my Mojo in some different way?
I can tell you I’ve compared a bunch of tracks purchased at 192/24 and then downsamplednto 96/24, 44/16 and MP3/AAC. And with numerous DACs, Amps, headphones and speakers, I could not pass a double blind test. I just don’t have the Golden Ears.

Apr 8, 2018 at 3:10 AM Post #843 of 1,085
Good day for every one!
Some background: I have a musical education and can hear some difference in sound. I use headphones Meze 99. I use my Mojo with iPhone SE and Onkyo HF Player, also I tried Mojo with my Mac and JRiver.

On an iPhone, the maximum sample rate is 48khz, but you should have no problem getting the mojo to go beyond that from a computer.

Apr 8, 2018 at 3:40 AM Post #844 of 1,085
On an iPhone, the maximum sample rate is 48khz, but you should have no problem getting the mojo to go beyond that from a computer.
The 48 kHz max is only for iPhones with built in HP port and via the included Music app. With a USB connection to an appropriate DAC like Mojo and using a player like the Onkyo HF player, higher sampling frequencies and depths are possible. I've not ever purchased or recorded anything beyond 192/24, but music up to those rates is definitely output to an outboard DAC with HF player. Whether one's ears can detect any difference there is an entirely different matter.

Apr 8, 2018 at 3:51 AM Post #845 of 1,085

Due to Chord Mojo documentation: “Onkyo HF player can be used to support high resolution audio including DSD.”
When use USB audio connection with Apple Lightning to USB Camera Kit along with HF Player it is possible to get 24/192 resolution and DSD.

Mojo also change the color from red to “white” when change the resolution, I have checked this.

Apr 8, 2018 at 3:57 AM Post #846 of 1,085
Due to Chord Mojo documentation: “Onkyo HF player can be used to support high resolution audio including DSD.”
When use USB audio connection with Apple Lightning to USB Camera Kit along with HF Player it is possible to get 24/192 resolution and DSD.

Mojo also change the color from red to “white” when change the resolution, I have checked this.
Yep, I have the same experience as you, excluding the DSD, which I've not purchased any of. The Mojo appears to recognize and convert any of these formats with the expected change in color of the sample rate LED when using Onkyo HF Player. I've got my work setup of an iPod touch and Mojo with USB extension kit to make a nice stackable unit with the CCK. I carry it around all day at work and it sounds great with either the Beyer T5P or Amiron Home I plug into it. (still can't tell 44/16 from higher sampling/bit depth tracks though)

Apr 8, 2018 at 4:10 AM Post #847 of 1,085
I can tell you I’ve compared a bunch of tracks purchased at 192/24 and then downsamplednto 96/24, 44/16 and MP3/AAC. And with numerous DACs, Amps, headphones and speakers, I could not pass a double blind test. I just don’t have the Golden Ears.

Thanks, Dana, for your reply. :) As a newcomer in HiFi world, I thought that high resolution audio should be detected well enough for common people, even without any musical education. And 24/96 is pretty high level compared to mp3 format. Memory for the mp3 album = 138Mb. Memory for 24/96 version of this same album = 2.1Gb.

I also don’t have Golden Ear but if the difference is not noticeable for common people with “some” ear - it is really strange and the question arises: why is it all for? Just to enhance sound upon a 3.5mm port output?
I have read in reviews so many laudatory words about Mojo.

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2018 at 4:14 AM Post #848 of 1,085
Yep, I have the same experience as you, excluding the DSD, which I've not purchased any of. The Mojo appears to recognize and convert any of these formats with the expected change in color of the sample rate LED when using Onkyo HF Player. I've got my work setup of an iPod touch and Mojo with USB extension kit to make a nice stackable unit with the CCK. I carry it around all day at work and it sounds great with either the Beyer T5P or Amiron Home I plug into it. (still can't tell 44/16 from higher sampling/bit depth tracks though)

Actually I also become to like my Mojo very much. The difference in sound upon 3.5mm port is very noticeable and I use Mojo also to watch films on my iPad.

Apr 8, 2018 at 4:42 PM Post #849 of 1,085
Thanks, Dana, for your reply. :) As a newcomer in HiFi world, I thought that high resolution audio should be detected well enough for common people, even without any musical education. And 24/96 is pretty high level compared to mp3 format. Memory for the mp3 album = 138Mb. Memory for 24/96 version of this same album = 2.1Gb.

I also don’t have Golden Ear but if the difference is not noticeable for common people with “some” ear - it is really strange and the question arises: why is it all for? Just to enhance sound upon a 3.5mm port output?
I have read in reviews so many laudatory words about Mojo.

I think hi res is generally overrated. 16/44 can give you all the freq range you can hear. That being said, greater bit depth may enhance dynamics and a tiny bit of nuance. My experience when using the mojo with higher res material as well as standard res (lossless) with a portable setup and hf player and other player sw was that it was not as revealing as a very good source.

By very good source, I preferred my computer setup by a wide margin. Phones, as good as they are, sometimes are not nearly revealing enough. Just my 2 centavos. I never used my Mojo with my phone since the SQ with decent iems outdoors was so close it made no sense to carry that thing around in my pocket.

Apr 8, 2018 at 5:02 PM Post #850 of 1,085
I think hi res is generally overrated. 16/44 can give you all the freq range you can hear. That being said, greater bit depth may enhance dynamics and a tiny bit of nuance. My experience when using the mojo with higher res material as well as standard res (lossless) with a portable setup and hf player and other player sw was that it was not as revealing as a very good source.

By very good source, I preferred my computer setup by a wide margin. Phones, as good as they are, sometimes are not nearly revealing enough. Just my 2 centavos. I never used my Mojo with my phone since the SQ with decent iems outdoors was so close it made no sense to carry that thing around in my pocket.
I just can’t do IEMs for anything except falling asleep in, so the Mojo is great for driving things like my Beyers that don’t otherwise drive very well with a mobile player

Apr 8, 2018 at 5:10 PM Post #851 of 1,085

Thank you, bixby! This is really sensible opinion. Highly appreciate it.
Due to this information and my own experience and efforts to understand how to get the most out of HiFi music and Mojo also I can see several items:
1. The good source it seems plays pretty good role - I have been said about this by HiFi consultants also. So a computer gives the best opportunity to get the most out of HiFi music. In case I would like to have a portable source it might be good one is Chord Poly. I am planning to hear and may be get it - so I will be able to give some feedback about it.
2. I hear a really good sound improvement when using Lightning port connection with Mojo against 3.5mm port. So before I get better source I prefer to use Mojo with my iPhone on the go also. As a music source I have chosen Tidal streaming with its 16/44.1 sound quality.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back