Chord Mojo issue solutions thread.
Nov 16, 2017 at 3:31 AM Post #811 of 1,074
I have the problem that the coax input on my Mojo seems to be cutting out from time to time. I use a Moon Audio Silver dragon cable to connect the Mojo to my Fiio X5.
If I wiggle the cable, the connector works some times but its getting worse and its very frustrating having the music keep cutting out. I have done a fair bit of research but am unable to find a part number for the Coax jack as I am willing to solder a new one in. Is there anybody with a similar issue who either has a solution that does not require replacement of the jack or could please point me to which jack could act as a replacement that I could try soldering in?
Of course I could just use the USB in but the Fiio X5 older generation that I have does not support this. Thanks for your help.

Nov 16, 2017 at 8:34 AM Post #812 of 1,074
Is there any contacts shorting with case on the back side of the board?
Did you try powering it on and testing the board outside of the case?
If you have a multi-meter, you can also test of continuity from the usb-a side contacts to the board contacts (after plugging the cable in). This way, we can identify any issue with contacts.

I did test the board outside the case, micro USB still doesn't work.

Don't have a multimeter. In any case, I got the correct coaxial cable, and that port works perfectly. So now I'm using optical port for the PS4, and coaxial for the MBP. I'm sorted. Better than spending $200-$300 in order to just get a working microUSB port.

Nov 16, 2017 at 8:37 AM Post #813 of 1,074
I have the problem that the coax input on my Mojo seems to be cutting out from time to time. I use a Moon Audio Silver dragon cable to connect the Mojo to my Fiio X5.
If I wiggle the cable, the connector works some times but its getting worse and its very frustrating having the music keep cutting out. I have done a fair bit of research but am unable to find a part number for the Coax jack as I am willing to solder a new one in. Is there anybody with a similar issue who either has a solution that does not require replacement of the jack or could please point me to which jack could act as a replacement that I could try soldering in?
Of course I could just use the USB in but the Fiio X5 older generation that I have does not support this. Thanks for your help.

I'm assuming you tried another coax cable?

Nov 16, 2017 at 7:33 PM Post #814 of 1,074

I had the same thing but the cause was the plug on the cable was slightly out of spec (slightly too small/narrow). I purchased a different cable and never had the issue since. Do you have a different cable to test?

Nov 17, 2017 at 3:07 AM Post #815 of 1,074
Thanks guys. I have tried other cables. Some do work better but in general they start cutting out after some time too.
I think the mistake that I made is that kept the coax cable plugged into the Mojo at all times and it probably put a torque type pressure and over time the jack no longer makes a good contact.
But encouraged by your replies, let me look for a cable with a slightly 'thicker' plug and see if it makes a difference. Earlier I had just randomly tested a few other cables.

Dec 4, 2017 at 11:51 AM Post #816 of 1,074
Thanks guys. I have tried other cables. Some do work better but in general they start cutting out after some time too.
I think the mistake that I made is that kept the coax cable plugged into the Mojo at all times and it probably put a torque type pressure and over time the jack no longer makes a good contact.
But encouraged by your replies, let me look for a cable with a slightly 'thicker' plug and see if it makes a difference. Earlier I had just randomly tested a few other cables.

I have exactly the same issue and i used Moon Audio Silver dragon cable as well, any solution? Right now my usb+ios camera kit starts to cut out as well.

Dec 16, 2017 at 11:46 AM Post #819 of 1,074
Hi, need help here.

Loud hissing during the last part of a full charge.

Charger is from Apple while cable is from a cheap led lamp.

Brand new unit few days of life.

The hissing is lasting for SIX minutes before the end of a charge.

Advices?

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2018 at 9:43 PM Post #820 of 1,074
Hi guys,
My mojo started to have problem. The unit can't be turned on. No matter how long I charge it (overnight).
I can only turn it on when the charging cable is plugged in. So right now I can only use it as a desktop DAC/Amp.

Does anyone have same issue? Maybe it's battery related?
Thanks.

Jan 22, 2018 at 4:01 PM Post #821 of 1,074
Hi,
Since month I try to make my Mojo work with my Galaxy S5 Active.
I finally have a somewhat satisfying solution, after trying many different players, configurations and cables.
I still have some hissing and crackling, but rarely (and not if I play from my computer), so I still have to figure out the best settings for USB Audio Player Pro, which worked with the least issues.
But thats beside the point. My main concern is that all cables dissconnect the mojo from time to time, which is part the cables fault as some work better than others and part fault of the loose connection from the cable to my phone. If I move the cable there it disconnects and the song stop, I then have to take out my phone, reconnect the mojo, restart the song, etc., which makes it unbearable sometimes.
Anyway after wasting some money on different cables I was wondering if someone can refer me to any cables that seem to work.
I have found a picure of a setup that seems fool proof:
https://www.moon-audio.com/media/wy...rd_Mojo_android_black_dragon_usb_form_fit.jpg
but I can't find a round up small cable like that and I cant find the straps either.
I only found the 80 bugs version of the cable on moon audio, which I refuse to buy.
Any suggestions?
Or are there any types phones that seem to have no issues with mojo.
(I actually don't wanna buy a new phone just now)

Thanks in advance

Jan 22, 2018 at 4:14 PM Post #822 of 1,074
Hi,
Since month I try to make my Mojo work with my Galaxy S5 Active.
I finally have a somewhat satisfying solution, after trying many different players, configurations and cables.
I still have some hissing and crackling, but rarely (and not if I play from my computer), so I still have to figure out the best settings for USB Audio Player Pro, which worked with the least issues.
But thats beside the point. My main concern is that all cables dissconnect the mojo from time to time, which is part the cables fault as some work better than others and part fault of the loose connection from the cable to my phone. If I move the cable there it disconnects and the song stop, I then have to take out my phone, reconnect the mojo, restart the song, etc., which makes it unbearable sometimes.
Anyway after wasting some money on different cables I was wondering if someone can refer me to any cables that seem to work.
I have found a picure of a setup that seems fool proof:
https://www.moon-audio.com/media/wy...rd_Mojo_android_black_dragon_usb_form_fit.jpg
but I can't find a round up small cable like that and I cant find the straps either.
I only found the 80 bugs version of the cable on moon audio, which I refuse to buy.
Any suggestions?
Or are there any types phones that seem to have no issues with mojo.
(I actually don't wanna buy a new phone just now)

Thanks in advance

Forget using any phone with micro usb and any dac/amp. Yes, that is the conclusion I came to when I owned a Mojo and many others, HRT, AQ, FIIO, etcc. Just recently I gave up on the whole idea of cables and phones. And I never had a glitch free experience with uapp either.

Now I use a V-10, some simple iems and foobar mobile. Glitch free and sound is good. I really came to my senses this week on a hike with wind about 6-10 mph. No amount of $$$ spent on a fancy dac/amp would have helped in that situation. and since I use my phone for music only on walks that settles it, footfalls will always win to some extent.

Now If I were riding in a rather quiet train, airplane, sitting in a hotel room etc., then maybe a Mojo, but really I think I would rather spend money on a good phone and give APTx dac/amp a try. Like Centrance Blue Dac for example. At least with that you get rid of the crappy micro usb connection both on the phone and in the mojo. Then again you may have to find a phone that has it, but many are out there.

I really enjoyed my Mojo while I had it and only used it as a full on dac/preamp for my main speakers and amp setup. Trying to pocket the Mojo and a phone was silly to me.

Jan 27, 2018 at 4:54 AM Post #823 of 1,074
I have a strange problem that I can’t work out is a source problem or a mojo problem

I have had a AK300 for about a year and a half. Two weeks ago I bought a mojo and connect via optical to the AK300.

The problem is that every track misses about a second at the start. I have the latest fw in the AK and I tried a factory reset with no improvement.

I bought a micro usb cable to connect to the mojo instead and this works fine with no missing of tracks from the AK

I have a few problems though
1. I have a preference for the sound via optical, it being a touch warmer
2. The usb connection seems to drain the battery of the AK more quickly
3. The connection doesn’t seem as stable, had a couple of disconnects so far

So I would really prefer to use optical if I can find a solution.

Any thoughts guys ?

Thanks

Jan 27, 2018 at 11:38 AM Post #824 of 1,074
Can you update the driver in the AK300? Or can you select another driver? Or adjust latency within the AK300? Sorry but I have not used the AK before, just going on what I have adjusted with Foobar2k and pc.

As to #1- If you want a slightly warmer sound you could put a split ferrite on the micro usb cable to shave off the highs and transients a bit.
#3 - Disconnects should not be happening, but if you have this in your pocket and you are moving, then welcome to the world of the crappy micro USB connector. It happens on almost anything.

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2018 at 2:37 PM Post #825 of 1,074
Can you update the driver in the AK300? Or can you select another driver? Or adjust latency within the AK300? Sorry but I have not used the AK before, just going on what I have adjusted with Foobar2k and pc.

As to #1- If you want a slightly warmer sound you could put a split ferrite on the micro usb cable to shave off the highs and transients a bit.
#3 - Disconnects should not be happening, but if you have this in your pocket and you are moving, then welcome to the world of the crappy micro USB connector. It happens on almost anything.

AK300 is a portable dap and I have already made sure it has the latest firmware. Disconnects were happening on table in front of me, too big to go in pocket.

I will try the split ferrite though. Thanks for the suggestions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back