Chord Mojo issue solutions thread.
Jul 6, 2017 at 5:50 PM Post #691 of 1,068
I use the ASIO Chord 1.05 driver, but I get the noise regardless of whether or not I have the source plugged in. Chord responded to me overnight, they said it isn't surprising that high sensitivity IEMs would do this.

FWIW JRiver on my Surface sounds markedly better with the Chord than USB Audio Player on my S8 with the exact same files.

Jul 6, 2017 at 5:51 PM Post #692 of 1,068
What drivers are you using? I get digital artifacts (in the form of faint pops/clicks) with DirectSound and WASAPI out of Foobar and Musicbee but it's completely clean using the ASIO drivers.

Which brings me to my problem: I get digital artifacts with WASAPI both in push and event mode with Foobar and MusicBee - I was under the impression that WASAPI in exclusive mode should be bit perfect? Does anyone know what's happening here?
Also outputting through my android phone (Huawei Mate 7) via OTG cable and Onkyo HF Player and Neutron (both trial versions) I get quite a lot of digital artifacts and distortion. Neutron is slightly better than Onkyo Player after reducing the hardware latency setting but both are pretty bad. I thought both apps were supposed to output bit perfect via usb, does anyone have any experience of this?
Some phones have proved to be much better than others when used as a music source.
Clicks and pops can have several causes:
  • RFI from the phone or your surrounding environment - can often be cured by using a long enough cable and/or adding ferrite chokes to the USB cable
  • Internal electronic noise from the phone - often caused by screen updates taking priority of the phone CPU, causing the music data stream to be paused for a short while, but the mojo dac is left trying to decode missing data, which you hear as a click. You can often improve things, by turning off all the phone apps that are running in the background, but you don't need.
There is more info in post #3 of the main mojo thread.
I managed to remove most of the digital noise from my phone, but I now use a Shanling M1, which produces no digital artifacts at all. It is a superior alternative to a phone as a music transport, and now you can use a phone app to control it wirelessly as well.

hope this helps.

Jul 6, 2017 at 7:03 PM Post #693 of 1,068
I use the ASIO Chord 1.05 driver, but I get the noise regardless of whether or not I have the source plugged in. Chord responded to me overnight, they said it isn't surprising that high sensitivity IEMs would do this.

FWIW JRiver on my Surface sounds markedly better with the Chord than USB Audio Player on my S8 with the exact same files.

Yeah I hear a hiss with my SE846 too but I hear that when plugged into everything because they are so sensitive so I never thought it was an issue with the Mojo. I am using a Surface Book at the moment too for audio output, my phone just won't do it without major hissing and clicks/pops.

Some phones have proved to be much better than others when used as a music source.
Clicks and pops can have several causes:
  • RFI from the phone or your surrounding environment - can often be cured by using a long enough cable and/or adding ferrite chokes to the USB cable
  • Internal electronic noise from the phone - often caused by screen updates taking priority of the phone CPU, causing the music data stream to be paused for a short while, but the mojo dac is left trying to decode missing data, which you hear as a click. You can often improve things, by turning off all the phone apps that are running in the background, but you don't need.
There is more info in post #3 of the main mojo thread.
I managed to remove most of the digital noise from my phone, but I now use a Shanling M1, which produces no digital artifacts at all. It is a superior alternative to a phone as a music transport, and now you can use a phone app to control it wirelessly as well.

hope this helps.

Thanks, it just seems ridiculous that there are no artifacts or hissing via the 3.5mm output of the phone but there is major interference when using the Mojo via USB. I have a Sony NW-A35 which at this rate I think I will keep using on the go and keep the Mojo as desktop only.

Jul 17, 2017 at 8:58 PM Post #697 of 1,068
Yeah I hear a hiss with my SE846 too but I hear that when plugged into everything because they are so sensitive so I never thought it was an issue with the Mojo. I am using a Surface Book at the moment too for audio output, my phone just won't do it without major hissing and clicks/pops.

Thanks, it just seems ridiculous that there are no artifacts or hissing via the 3.5mm output of the phone but there is major interference when using the Mojo via USB. I have a Sony NW-A35 which at this rate I think I will keep using on the go and keep the Mojo as desktop only.

It seems like you have BUS noise from your computer's USB port, which is common. Perhaps try another USB port on the computer, or a different computer if you have access to one to troubleshoot.

Jul 17, 2017 at 8:59 PM Post #699 of 1,068
Well that strange it is red as well when I am watching YouTube and MP3 files from Spotify.

All of them are 16/44.1 sampling rate which will show red on the Mojo. The difference is between lossy vs lossless compression and bit rate, not to be confused with bit depth.

Jul 17, 2017 at 9:05 PM Post #700 of 1,068
All of them are 16/44.1 sampling rate which will show red on the Mojo. The difference is between lossy vs lossless compression and bit rate, not to be confused with bit depth.
I thought that tidal lossless would have a higher rate and change color then standard MP3. Then what's the point of tidal lossless files?

Jul 17, 2017 at 9:26 PM Post #702 of 1,068
It does not make since to me I just got this mojo and all I see is red lights even in lossless.
The bit rate for MP3's is 320kbps and for lossless/flac any bitrate higher up to 1414kbps however the sample rate is the same 44.1khz. The mojo lights indicate the sample rate. If you want the light to change color with tidal select a MQA album and play it.

Jul 17, 2017 at 10:09 PM Post #703 of 1,068
I thought that tidal lossless would have a higher rate and change color then standard MP3. Then what's the point of tidal lossless files?

As @harpo1 said, it's the sampling rate you are seeing in the status light, not bit rate or bit depth. CD quality and Tidal HiFi is 16bit depth and 44.1kHz sampling rate and lossless compression, not lossy compression.. Your Mojo is working properly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back